Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2014-02-15, 04:06 PM
Regular User

Hi,

we recently bought a new house and we are getting stained oak hardwood on main floor and stained oak stairs from builder. The house is around 3100 sqft.

We are debating regarding hardwood on second floor, if it is better to do it with builder or to install it after closing. I thought that builder price is twice higher on every thing, so I was pretty sure doing it later will save us lots of money. So I started shopping around for the same material ( engineered satin finish hardwood, 3.4 x 3/4 ). The builder charges us around 9500$ for upper hallway and for all four bedrooms. I calculated the square footage and I will have to buy around 1100 or 1200 sqft. So 2 quotes I've got so far, they are almost the same as the builders quote!!!!!

To be more exact, the first quote was around 8500$ so I though this guy is the most expensive one. Today I went to another store that sells the same brand and I found out the first quote was not the most expensive one. They told me today, if I just buy the material from them it is 5.25 per sqft. And if I install it with them, then it is 8$ per sqft and that will include everything ( material, labour and carpet removal and they told me that they also screw the subfloors )

So now really I need to think

What do you think is the best thing to do?
Old 2014-02-19, 01:00 PM
Regular User

I dont have any comments on price , however , if you have downstairs in hardwood and having the builder stain the staircase to match - best options is to keep is cohesive and have the builder do the upstairs also. If you have access to the very same wood for less then I would say for sure go for it. My only comment would be to watch the staircase shoerail and nosing height! if your doing wood , the builder adjusts this to match the height of your hardwood. If going carpet , it might be out of sync when you replace with wood yourself.

thats my 2 cents
Old 2014-02-21, 01:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwood View Post
Hi,

we recently bought a new house and we are getting stained oak hardwood on main floor and stained oak stairs from builder. The house is around 3100 sqft.

We are debating regarding hardwood on second floor, if it is better to do it with builder or to install it after closing. I thought that builder price is twice higher on every thing, so I was pretty sure doing it later will save us lots of money. So I started shopping around for the same material ( engineered satin finish hardwood, 3.4 x 3/4 ). The builder charges us around 9500$ for upper hallway and for all four bedrooms. I calculated the square footage and I will have to buy around 1100 or 1200 sqft. So 2 quotes I've got so far, they are almost the same as the builders quote!!!!!

To be more exact, the first quote was around 8500$ so I though this guy is the most expensive one. Today I went to another store that sells the same brand and I found out the first quote was not the most expensive one. They told me today, if I just buy the material from them it is 5.25 per sqft. And if I install it with them, then it is 8$ per sqft and that will include everything ( material, labour and carpet removal and they told me that they also screw the subfloors )

So now really I need to think

I highly doubt the builder is being super nice & based on your calculation of approx. 1,200 sq. ft. only charging you $8 sq. ft.! Unless they made a mistake & you have it on paper Based on our experience, doing hardwood after closing vs. builder is always cheaper. That's how builders make $$$.
Old 2014-02-21, 04:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I highly doubt the builder is being super nice & based on your calculation of approx. 1,200 sq. ft. only charging you $8 sq. ft.! Unless they made a mistake & you have it on paper Based on our experience, doing hardwood after closing vs. builder is always cheaper. That's how builders make $$$.
Thanks patrob.

If i do the math myself to calculate the square footage, i get around 920 sqft, so how many % shoud i add for the waste? So i have 4 bedrooms ( 2 of them have walkin closets and the other 2 have double door closets) and i have also upper hallway which is hard to calculate how many sqft it is.

Thanks
Old 2014-02-21, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi,

If the price is close, have the builder do it. The aggravation of doing the entire second floor after you move in is very high.
Old 2014-02-22, 08:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks patrob.

If i do the math myself to calculate the square footage, i get around 920 sqft, so how many % shoud i add for the waste? So i have 4 bedrooms ( 2 of them have walkin closets and the other 2 have double door closets) and i have also upper hallway which is hard to calculate how many sqft it is.

Thanks
Usually 5% is the norm for extra waste but sometimes you may need less/more depending on the layout. PM me your floor plan, I can give you a better idea how much wood you will need.
Old 2014-04-22, 02:58 PM
Regular User

This might have been discussed many times before. But is pot light easy to do afterwards. I read many times that people saying it is much cheaper to do afterward, but also hearing they may need to cut some part of the ceiling and repair it?
Old 2014-04-23, 02:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
This might have been discussed many times before. But is pot light easy to do afterwards. I read many times that people saying it is much cheaper to do afterward, but also hearing they may need to cut some part of the ceiling and repair it?
What we did was have the builder install one potlight per room. This way we got a light switch wired up to the single potlight and it was easier to add potlights after with minimal fuss. Much cheaper to do potlights after closing.
Old 2014-04-23, 10:33 PM
Regular User

Our builder charges around $350 for the first pot light in each room with switch and around $180 for each extra, it seems that I would not save much in this case by installing one from builder and do the rest afterwards, if all I only want around 4 pot lights each room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
What we did was have the builder install one potlight per room. This way we got a light switch wired up to the single potlight and it was easier to add potlights after with minimal fuss. Much cheaper to do potlights after closing.
Old 2014-04-23, 10:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivet View Post
Our builder charges around $350 for the first pot light in each room with switch and around $180 for each extra, it seems that I would not save much in this case by installing one from builder and do the rest afterwards, if all I only want around 4 pot lights each room.
What if you get an extra capped light on a separate switch (i hope i am using correct term)

progress thread
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ad.php?t=21560