Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Simcoe

Simcoe Orillia, Lake Simcoe, Lake Couchiching to Collingwood, Georgian Triangle, Barrie, Alliston, Cookstown, Tottenham, Bradford, Holland Marsh, Midland, Penetanguishene, Georgian Bay, Trent Severn Waterway.

Old 2020-02-13, 05:19 PM

Default How much error is allowed?

I have spoken to other homeowners and have been trying to get some additional opinions on my specific case. I am hoping I can get some guidance here. I purchased my home and took possession in October 2018. I have a loft on the second floor, which does not have a door installed. I would like to use the loft as an office and wish to install a door. The original plan had an 'optional door' which was not installed by the builder. Ok, so I will have to pay for installing a door on my own. No problem.

I measure the door frame and determine that I will need a custom door. No problem. This is where it gets tricky. The door frame is 31 inches wide near the top but 30 and 5/8 inches wide near the bottom. This implies that the door frame is not square, and hanging a door on the frame, as it currrently stands, would result in a door that would not work properly (ie. would tend to swing open or close). Placing a level on the door frame clearly indicates that one of the vertical sections of the door frame is crooked.

So thinking that this is a workmanship issue, I tried to find details if this would be covered under the Tarion warranty. I have searched the Tarion website, but I can't seem to find anything that would clearly indicate that the 3/8 inch offset would need to be fixed by the builder, or if it falls within an acceptable level of error. It is my opinion that since this was shown as an option in the original plans, it should have been built in a manner that should easily have the optional door installed. Instead, it has become a renovation project. I need to have the door frame re-adjusted so that it is square, which is no simple matter.

Discussing this issue with the builder resulted in no assistance. They basically told me that I purchased the home 'as-is' and it was my problem. I submitted my findings to Tarion within the 1-year window, and thought that someone would be contacting me from Tarion. Crickets. I contacted Tarion to get an update, and went back and forth for a little while. I simply wanted to know if it was worthwile to request the conciliation based on the information I provided. In my opinion, this is black-and-white. Does the warranty cover the 3/8-inch difference in the door frame width? Am I over-simplifying this, or is it much more complicated? Here is the statement from Tarion:

"As I said, I canít tell you for certain that itís not warranted as I canít do that over email. I am only giving you information the information I can provide without a physical conciliation. You have every right to request one if you want to."

So basically, they want me to pay for a $300 conciliation visit for a chance that they MIGHT rule in my favor. I am beginning to think that Tarion is run by the builders and that it is just another scam. At this point, I don't think it is worthwhile to request the conciliation, and that I will just be another statistic. Homeowners need another tool which works better than Tarion.
Old 2020-02-13, 10:15 PM
Regular User

I think you would need to install a prehung door such as this (28 x 80). It says that it requires a rough opening of 30.5" so this means you would have 1/2 an inch to play with.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mas...oor/1000134154

But if you do remove the framing, then maybe the width would be more than 31" so you would need a wider door. Next size up is 30 x 80 and it requires an opening of 32.5". You would need to remove the framing to see what you are working with. Maybe they can just shim the existing framing for you to square it out.

There are lots of Youtube videos on how to hang prehung doors.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2020-02-13, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it is an odd sized opening. The frame is 94 inches tall, so it becomes a custom door job now. I have found companies that can build a door to custom sizes, so it isn't a problem to find the door. It's just hanging it properly that is the problem. I am just trying to determine if this issue is worth a conciliation visit, but Tarion isn't able to tell me if this is warranted. They won't make a decision on workmanship until someone visits the home to inspect... I am getting quotes and if I have to pay an additional $300 for a visit, it just isn't worth it... unless I know that this is an easy decision.
Old 2020-02-14, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Is it drywall?
Shave down the drywall to the desired measurements, shim it out as needed. Hang your door. Case it.
If you are getting a custom door, have it built to fit the smaller measurements and shim it where needed.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2020-02-16, 11:15 PM

Greg, thanks for the suggestion... I'm sure there is a solution here, but my question is "Does the builder need to provide a square frame for doorways?" If the door frame is out by 3/8 of an inch, is that an acceptable level of error? I am trying to determine if this is a workmanship issue, which Tarion claims that their warranty is all about...
Old 2020-02-17, 08:12 PM
Regular User

My opinion is that you will be responsible for undertaking whatever work is needed in order to install your own door.

If the builder is installing the door then of course they will need to square everything up and have the door installed perfectly. When you decide to choose the no door option then there really is no reason for them to need to be exact in their measurements. Obviously they can't be absurdly out of whack but installing the door doesn't need to be plug and play on their part either.

To me, this is a battle not worth getting into and one you will most likely lose anyways. Put the $300.00 towards the door installation. It will most likely cover the entire amount anyways.
Old 2020-02-19, 11:32 PM

Thanks... that was what I thought might be the case. The door was initially marked as 'optional' on the door plan, but as you have indicated, if it wasn't specifically ordered, then I'm probably out of luck. Yes, I will put the $300 towards the repair. BTW, it turns out to be closer to $1200 to get the job done...