Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2007-05-10, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson_g View Post
I was out at the Brookside site this past weekend and all of the builders are really moving along, some homes ready to move into, and Pheonix hasn't even put a shovel in the ground yet. If i bought from them in there I would be really worried as they already seem to be 5-6 months behind schedule. I don't know what is going on but hopefully they correct it soon and get things on track.
Actually, that is great news for those who bought and want to back out. They'll be notified of the delay and can simply cancel their purchase agreement (and get their money back!)
Old 2007-05-10, 10:38 AM
Regular User

Do we know if Phoenix has actually sold any homes in that development yet? If so, what sort of closing dates are being given. Maybe they are closing much later because all their trades are working at some other development site?
Old 2007-05-10, 01:32 PM
Regular User

I have heard rumours (just rumours) that they have trouble keeping trades because they pay them carp.

Compare that to my current builder who has had the same tradesmen for 20-25 years and they pay them well. One day I waived my conditions, the next morning there was a hole (a perfectly dug hole too, I must say). The next working day there were (deep) footings. A week or so later I had a backfilled and watersealed foundation. A week or so after that they were starting to frame the second floor.... and not a chainsaw in sight, and interestingly no nail guns either. In 25 years they tell me they have never missed a single scheduled closing date, not ever, not even by one day. They build between 20 and 60 homes per year...so they're only slightly smaller than Phoenix (30-140 homes per year).

There may be good reasons, maybe none of the negative speculation is true, ...but it makes one wonder...
Old 2007-05-10, 01:41 PM
Regular User

aikejon - who is your builder?
Old 2007-05-10, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Just for fun I did a Google Groups search on Phoenix Homes in Ottawa. A couple of newsgroups (ott.housing, ott.*, etc.) matched, and some quick reading confirms that nothing has changed.

E.g. folks posted threads years ago that read exactly like this one. "I'm due to close soon and they haven't even dug a hole yet, there's no possibly way they will close on time".

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2007-05-10 at 03:49 PM.
Old 2007-05-10, 01:56 PM
Regular User

The latest issue of New Homes and Condos (that you can pick up for free) advertises the following builder for Brookside (Kanata)

Garand
Holitzner
Monarch
Muirfield
and Phoenix

I don't have any personal experience with Phoenix so I will reserve my judgements but looking at that list there, there seems to be quite a few *heavyweights* in there i.e. builders with good track record so my point is if you want to reside in Brookside and if you are not comfortable with Phoenix, either from your own research or from other people's inputs, you do have quite a few other options.

Cheers!
Old 2007-05-10, 04:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
aikejon - who is your builder?
Mélanie Constructions - Russell Tp.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:25 PM
Regular User

Default Phoenix Not Honouring Closing Dates

I only wish I had seen this post before I purchased my new home from Phoenix at the Brookside site. Just found out late last week that my closing is being delayed by 7 weeks and my parents (who also bought a property from Phoenix) are being delayed by 3 months. Might not have been so catastrophic had I not just sold my current house.

Last edited by yourhighness1; 2007-05-22 at 07:58 AM.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Do we know if Phoenix has actually sold any homes in that development yet? If so, what sort of closing dates are being given. Maybe they are closing much later because all their trades are working at some other development site?
There are probably about 21+ properties sold by Phoenix at Brookside so far. If you go to mybrookside.com and check out the site maps for the various builders, it will give you an idea of which lots are already sold by builder. To my knowledge closings were supposed to start in early September and on into October. Not looking too good right about now.
Old 2007-05-18, 02:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Actually, that is great news for those who bought and want to back out. They'll be notified of the delay and can simply cancel their purchase agreement (and get their money back!)
I thought the purchase agreements were written so that the buyer couldn't back out. I thought I was locked in.