Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2008-02-15, 11:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

My engineering degree is in low-voltage components (DC circuits, electronics, computers) so my AC is a bit rusty :P
So is mine so that's not an excuse.

(I was corrected on some other board as well... that's why I now know!)
Old 2008-02-18, 05:04 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
So is mine so that's not an excuse.

(I was corrected on some other board as well... that's why I now know!)
Heh. I heard someone say the other day, "the best way to learn something is to get it wrong and be corrected in a public forum"
Old 2008-02-18, 09:29 PM

Thanks Guys for the initial answer but just to clarify something (I'm an accountant so this area is not my strenght )

Does it mean that 100amp @ 240V (on different phases) is same as 200amp @120V? If yes, how can I upgrade to 240V instead of 120V? (which option is better when dealing about capacity issue as discussed in this post?)

or does it just mean if my breaker has 240V, its consuming 30AMPS instead of two 15AMPS breakers as per your oven example? so its just stronger current going to the appliance since the appliance requires it to function, but its taking more away from my 100AMP limit?

Thanks
Old 2008-02-19, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igracgq View Post
Does it mean that 100amp @ 240V (on different phases) is same as 200amp @120V? If yes, how can I upgrade to 240V instead of 120V? (which option is better when dealing about capacity issue as discussed in this post?)
Every house gets 240 volts from the power lines, which are divided into two 120 volt "phases". Most appliances (your normal plug-in type with two or three prongs) run on 120 volts, and this is what you normally see throughout the house. A few special case appliances draw the full 240 volts (usually your stove and dryer). These use special plugs that are large and circular with four prongs instead of two or three.
Old 2008-02-20, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Every house gets 240 volts from the power lines, which are divided into two 120 volt "phases". Most appliances (your normal plug-in type with two or three prongs) run on 120 volts, and this is what you normally see throughout the house. A few special case appliances draw the full 240 volts (usually your stove and dryer). These use special plugs that are large and circular with four prongs instead of two or three.
Oh I see now. How about those special plugs that carry 240 volts, do they have a different breaker or thicker electrical wire going to my electrical box in the basement?

Thanks
Old 2008-02-21, 11:39 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by igracgq View Post
Oh I see now. How about those special plugs that carry 240 volts, do they have a different breaker or thicker electrical wire going to my electrical box in the basement?

Thanks
Yes, it's a thicker wire... and what you'll see in the breaker panel is that the 240 volt circuits are on a "double wide" breaker where two breakers have their handles pinned together by a metal bar.

Not sure where you are living now but have a look at the breaker panel, you should see it's the same thing.
Old 2008-02-21, 08:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Yes, it's a thicker wire... and what you'll see in the breaker panel is that the 240 volt circuits are on a "double wide" breaker where two breakers have their handles pinned together by a metal bar.
They are not necessarily thicker, it all depends on the current rating. I've got some 240V / 15A wiring in my house, it's regular 14/3..