Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2010-03-15, 11:40 PM

Default Gas Meter Location

I went by my house currently under construction today and the gas meter has been installed but the location seems bizarre to me. I was hoping someone out there may have some expertise on meter installations and be able to help me out.

The main connection line comes out of the ground on the side of my house but right at the front corner (at most a couple of inches back from the front of the house). What is strange is that the meter has been installed on the front of the house side of the main line. This means the meter itself isn't actually against the side wall but sticks out in front of the house. The line from the meter to the house isn't installed yet and when this is added it will stick out further (I realize this means they still have work to do so can correct this but I don't see any simple way of doing that other than essentially starting over). Sorry, I don't have pictures as it was dark when I was there tonight so I hope my explanation makes sense. To clarify, look at the attached picture but shift everything so the vertical line is at the corner and the meter is sticking out in front of the house.

Not only will this be ugly having the meter sticking out in front of the house, it doesn't seem like the safest place to me. I would think having the meter next to the house would provide a bit of protection and would make it less likely to get knocked inadvertently, especially during the remaining construction.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any regulations that prevent the meter being located here (other than common sense saying this isn't smart)? The only regulations I can find are related to clearances from vents, electrical sources, etc. I'm going to mention this to my builder but was hoping to have something concrete to back me up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gas_meter.jpg
Views:	2848
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	5831  
Old 2010-03-16, 12:29 AM
Regular User

Is your furnace and water heater located close to where the meter is?

I would agree with you that locating the meter close to the front is a little weird but I would suspect that installers will locate the meter close to where the utilities are inside the house.

In my current home, the meter is towards the back of the house but it's almost a straight line to the furnace/water heater about 8 ft away inside the house.
Old 2010-03-16, 11:41 AM
Regular User

I worked for a natural gas company for three summers, in the maintenance department. We sometimes worked with the construction department and here is what I know.

The construction department will sometimes do a temporary install of the meter and it will be moved into final position later. That may be what has happened in your case. They don't simply install a single meter in an area - they do a whole swath of them at once as the subdivision is being built up.

I have to say that I find the position of meters on the front of houses really odd. Where I am originally from they are always in the back and very rarely on the side of the house even in new subdivisions. Same goes for electrical. Luckily I didn't end up with an electrical box in my front yard but my gas meter is at the front of the house, ever so cleverly built into the wall and covered by a grate by the builder. So, I have a gas line running from the front of my house inside all the way to the furnace in the back.
House Blog: http://myhouseorsomethinglikeit.wordpress.com
Old 2010-03-16, 12:07 PM

Thanks for your input Freyja. My hope was that this was a quick initial install that will be moved later. I guess the only thing bothering me was this didn't appear simple to correct without redoing all the connections so I didn't see the point in doing it quickly at first only to have to come back and correct it later (I'm probably being too logical in thinking that )

In response to lex, yes this is near the mechanical area of the basement and is where I expected the meter to be. I just thought it would actually be positioned against the side wall and not hanging out into the front yard (and not actually against any wall)! There is a house the same model as mine just down the street and the meter is in approximately the same location but the main line comes out of the ground a couple of feet further back so their meter is positioned against the side of the house.
Old 2010-03-16, 12:43 PM
Regular User

post a picture when u can. I worked for enbridge for 6 years, i dealt with alot of new construction meter sets and inspections...

IT almost seems that the gas main got located incorrectly, i would bring it up, its a not a huge job to re-do the main to come up further down the side of the house. There is not code against "looking like **** installs" unfortunately But common sence would have that meter set hung against the house. Unless the plan to rotate it and have it against the front of the home...

Post some pictures. maybe something can be explained further by seeing the actual install.

Chances are if your supply line has not bee connected from the home that the hvac contractor will catch this problem and contact enbridge to relocate
Old 2010-03-16, 10:14 PM

So I was able to get a few pictures tonight. One shows the meter from the sidewalk in front of the house. The second shows the lovely view from our front door with the meter poking out from the side of the house! The lot was a tad muddy so I couldn't get any photos showing the meter up close (I didn't know if I'd ever get out if I walked into it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	558.1 KB
ID:	5837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0901.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	624.5 KB
ID:	5838  
Old 2010-03-16, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
The second shows the lovely view from our front door with the meter poking out from the side of the house!
They haven't done the siding/brick on your house so they have temporarily left the meter poking out. Once the side is done I am sure that they will come back and change it.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-03-17, 12:33 PM
Regular User

Hi Shooter, that's my guess too. I drove by last night and saw the meter sticking out and thought ... they've made it easier for the trades to get the exterior work done.