Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-18, 11:38 AM
Regular User

Adding my two cents
In our old house we did the basement using contractor & in this one we got it done with the builder. My take with this is that it is not the cost of the material but the labour which drives the cost. So it works out very cheap as a DIY project but pretty expensive for people like me who can't do much....
Old 2018-09-18, 03:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
More to see how much it really costs! Did you do most of the work? Sounds like you did well on quality/price ratio!
Fair enough. Ya, if you're able to complete the project for 10k, and get everything you want in the space done correctly you've done great. Even if it could get you 5 all inclusive trips lol :P

End unit townhouse (3 sides to spray foam), ended up costing around 3k for spray foam. The builder installed insulation was really poor, and ended up getting soaked because they installed it directly to the concrete and almost immediately after pouring it. After resolving the mould issue, we put a little more into it to not have to worry.
Old 2018-09-18, 05:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
Adding my two cents
In our old house we did the basement using contractor & in this one we got it done with the builder. My take with this is that it is not the cost of the material but the labour which drives the cost. So it works out very cheap as a DIY project but pretty expensive for people like me who can't do much....

I've came to realize that as well when I do other projects that my dad can't do. Labour is what is expensive in most cases.

I wish I was more handy, but I just don't have it My dad tried showing me and after a few hours he said: stay in the computer business lol

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-09-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 2018-09-19, 10:38 AM
Regular User

So what is the point of this thread? If your dad is building your basement, then he can competently price out the cost of materials for you.

Everything is cheaper when you take out the cost of labour.

Ideally, just buy a lot, pay for the materials and have your dad build your entire house for free. You just saved at least 33%. Instant equity gains.

But aren't we forgetting something here? Opportunity cost. Your dad is sacrificing his time to save you money. He could be making money building someone else's basement and get paid for it rather than doing it for you for free.

Last edited by electricsky; 2018-09-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 2018-09-19, 10:42 AM
Regular User

On that note, what does your dad charge per hour for a labour rate?
Old 2018-09-19, 10:45 AM
Regular User

Not to go off-topic but is it possible to make a cable output despite walls are done? Forgot to ask him but i'd like to put a TV. Ceiling tiles not done yet, but drywall and paint is done.

I imagine he would need to run it down somewhere? Hope it is doable.
Old 2018-09-19, 11:35 AM
Regular User

Quote:
I am also curious to know which builder That's a pretty smoking deal!
It was Richcraft. We are in Phase 8, RSS. Yes, that was the price we paid for the 3 items. We bought last year, single home, our basement is standard size, without washroom.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way - I am aware it was a good deal, and perhaps offered by the builder because we were purchasing a new home. I did not mean in any way to say this is what it should always cost if you do it yourself, with lots of upgrades, etc. I simply meant this is what we paid to have all this work done within the context of our new home purchase, to give people a sense of what they could negotiate when buying new. Reading my comment again I could have definitely been more clear - sorry for that.

I hope this helps. Good luck all with your basement projects

Last edited by Mopstah; 2018-09-19 at 11:40 AM.
Old 2018-09-19, 11:55 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopstah View Post
It was Richcraft. We are in Phase 8, RSS. Yes, that was the price we paid for the 3 items. We bought last year, single home, our basement is standard size, without washroom.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way - I am aware it was a good deal, and perhaps offered by the builder because we were purchasing a new home. I did not mean in any way to say this is what it should always cost if you do it yourself, with lots of upgrades, etc. I simply meant this is what we paid to have all this work done within the context of our new home purchase, to give people a sense of what they could negotiate when buying new. Reading my comment again I could have definitely been more clear - sorry for that.

I hope this helps. Good luck all with your basement projects
None taken I am really happy you got a great deal like that!!
Old 2018-09-19, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Not to go off-topic but is it possible to make a cable output despite walls are done? Forgot to ask him but i'd like to put a TV. Ceiling tiles not done yet, but drywall and paint is done.

I imagine he would need to run it down somewhere? Hope it is doable.
Yes. Done it hundreds of times.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2018-09-20, 09:34 AM
Regular User

Good to know Thanks.