Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2017-05-19, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimenm View Post
Yes, I just got the email yesterday, my closing has changed from mid september to march 1, 2018, its probably why I haven't been scheduled for the decor appointment.
Hey, were you phase 1? I purchased th2 in August 2016 phase 2 with a closing date of Feb. 2018. So im guessing i will have a little bit of a delay which I don't mind. I wonder if my closing date moves back the same amount of time as yours.
Old 2017-05-19, 11:10 PM
Regular User

Yes, I bought in phase 1, yours most likely get delayed too.
Old 2017-06-04, 11:07 AM
Regular User

Averton has finally contacted me for my decor appointment and have scheduled it for August 4th. I found Jay's photo's of decor selection, thanks for posting it Jay! For those who haven't seen it, here is the link:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VWTWxuZTRlYmZn

Do you guys know how much they are charging for Quartz or Granite countertops for the kitchen? My friend told me it's cheaper to get a contractor in, rather than buying any of the upgrades from the builder. But if it cost are the same, I would rather have it done before I move in.
Old 2017-06-21, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Sorry never come on here its pretty dead. But yeah delayed till Feb 8th 2018 for a phase 1 purchased sept 2015. These delays are getting ridiculous. Living with the parents an extra year and half has become pretty stressful and paying storage for your stuff for over a year is not fun. These delays have had not benefit too me at all but cost extra money and stress. Glad decor appt is over barely gave them any more money. done with this company is all i have to say.

BTW i love their mass email because of the over whelming response about the last delay lol
Old 2017-08-22, 06:31 PM
Regular User

So in about May we got an update from Averton saying it was delayed till September 14th 2017 - next month.
Currently our mortgage provider wants to do an appraisal on the property - but Averton won't allow it. We asked about having the appraiser come during the pre-delivery inspection.. they won't allow it either..

We've been going back and forth with Averton Customer Care but it seems as though not much can be done..Buying a first home went from really excited to really really frustrating.
Old 2017-08-29, 07:12 PM
Regular User

Just got an email for our pre-delivery inspection - scheduled for next week
Old 2017-08-30, 11:53 AM
Regular User

At least after long wait and delays your home is built .

I wish you all the best during pdi and please let us know averton building quality.

Good luck!!!
Old 2017-08-31, 07:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erimak View Post
At least after long wait and delays your home is built .

I wish you all the best during pdi and please let us know averton building quality.

Good luck!!!
Thank you!

I'll definitely give you guys an update in the Bowmanville thread
I hope it all goes well and was worth the year long delay.
Old 2017-09-20, 02:45 PM
Regular User

@stoofle just wondering how things turned out with your PDI? Did you actually move in on time? I passed by over the weekend and the finished Coach Towns look great.

Please share your closing experience.

PS I emailed Averton asking if phase 1 and 2 are going to be seperate Condo Corporations and they replied promptly:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Unfortunately at this point in time we cannot confirm whether or not we will have two separate corporations. Once we have registered the first phase we will be able to answer your inquiry efficiently.

Thank you
Old 2017-09-26, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimenm View Post
@stoofle just wondering how things turned out with your PDI? Did you actually move in on time? I passed by over the weekend and the finished Coach Towns look great.

Please share your closing experience.

PS I emailed Averton asking if phase 1 and 2 are going to be seperate Condo Corporations and they replied promptly:

Good Morning,

Thank you for your e-mail.
Unfortunately at this point in time we cannot confirm whether or not we will have two separate corporations. Once we have registered the first phase we will be able to answer your inquiry efficiently.

Thank you
My PDI went .. alright. We did end up moving in on time. I think that there are 4 other families that have moved into our block.

One thing I definitely recommend you guys getting is a GFCI Receptacle Tester (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.g...000749483.html) you can get it for $13 at Home Depot. My father ended up bringing this to check all of the electrical outlets in the house – at least 5 of the outlets in the house were not making proper contact when we plugged in the device. We pointed that out to the builder; hopefully they are able to fix that before we move in.

Also, don't be afraid to get down on your hands and knees to check beneath the cabinets – cause I saw quite a bit of water damage to the cabinet in the master bathroom, the wood was all warped. And in the kitchen there were chips all along the sides of a lot of the cabinets.

Check the transition pieces on the floor, the areas where the nails were put – were not filled at all. Throughout the entire house, the floor was just left with these little holes where the nails were. I asked whether or not it was standard to have those holes filled – contractor confirmed that it is supposed to be filled – so that was another thing added to the list.

There were also numerous deep scratches on our wooden stairs and one of our landings were pretty squeaky.

A lot of the tiles in the kitchen were chipped too

We're currently working on a massive list to submit to TARION by the end of the week to fix all of these things.

Hope this gives you guys a little insight as to what to expect

Also, I did email Averton in regards to the condo corp registration process. They forwarded my email to their lawyers and they contacted me. If you want - I can forward you the email they sent me once I get home from work