Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-06, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Talking Richcraft vs. Urbandale

Hi everyone! New to this forum.

My Wife & I are looking to buy a new home in the south end of the city. Riverside South is a little far out for us (Especially its proximity to LRT), so we're looking at the Findlay Creek area, and have narrowed it down to Richcraft and Urbandale.

Richcraft has their "Pathways" community coming up, and Urbandale has their "Cowan's Grove" community, both off of bank. We like a number of designs on either, but in the end, I was wondering if anyone had a particularly positive experience with either build that they'd be willing to share? Any preferences?

Thank you!
Old 2018-09-06, 11:20 AM
Regular User

One thing to keep in mind is that Pathways is actually much further down Bank street than Cowan's Grove. My partner and I bought Urbandale and generally have had a positive experience. The sales center rep, Kathleen, has always gotten back to us promptly and with replies that answered our questions. People at the Design Centre were also very good.

Make sure you go visit your home and take lots of pictures during the construction process.
Old 2018-09-06, 11:23 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoMR View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that Pathways is actually much further down Bank street than Cowan's Grove. My partner and I bought Urbandale and generally have had a positive experience. The sales center rep, Kathleen, has always gotten back to us promptly and with replies that answered our questions. People at the Design Centre were also very good.

Make sure you go visit your home and take lots of pictures during the construction process.
Interesting -- I thought they were max 1KM apart. Originally, I was fairly set on Richcraft, but a friend of mine has bought 2 or 3 urbandale homes now, and expressed how much he's enjoyed the experience.

Thanks for your insight!
Old 2018-09-06, 12:19 PM
Regular User

I've bought from Urbandale in Cowan's Grove and the experience has been good so far. the sale reps have been very fast to reply to questions and the people at the design center have been very friendly and accommodating. The design centre was renovated recently and it looks beautiful. Floor plans aside, it is worth to look at what is included as standard for each builder.
Old 2018-09-06, 12:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgyh1 View Post
I've bought from Urbandale in Cowan's Grove and the experience has been good so far. the sale reps have been very fast to reply to questions and the people at the design center have been very friendly and accommodating. The design centre was renovated recently and it looks beautiful. Floor plans aside, it is worth to look at what is included as standard for each builder.
Richcraft appears to have some of the highest standards in Ottawa, from what I can tell (i.e., granite/quartz countertops, A/C, higher grades of insulation, underpadding, things like that).

What Phase is Cowan's Grove in? Are there many lots left? What's your expected move-in date? Are the design centre upgrades reasonably priced?

Thanks for your insight! Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 2018-09-06, 12:32 PM
Regular User

I believe quartz is also standard with Urbandale now, check out their bonus page.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is the cost of upgrades. My friend bought from Richcraft and we compared the costs of upgrades and Richcraft was significantly more expensive.
Old 2018-09-06, 12:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I believe quartz is also standard with Urbandale now, check out their bonus page.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is the cost of upgrades. My friend bought from Richcraft and we compared the costs of upgrades and Richcraft was significantly more expensive.
That's a good insight too - thank you!

Singles
Finished Basement Games Room with Urbandale's Exclusive Proud Foundation™ & Smart Home System.

That's attractive (the finished basement). The towns show as having quartz options, but I don't know if those are included in the singles.

Do you have any insight as to their down payment structure?

Thanks again!
Old 2018-09-06, 12:36 PM
Regular User

6 payments of $5k every other month
Old 2018-09-06, 12:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
6 payments of $5k every other month
Oh wow. That's peanuts, especially compared to richcraft (20K up-front, 10K a month until you've hit 10% down payment).

Do you know build timelines? Which phase they are in?
Old 2018-09-06, 06:17 PM
Regular User

Aside from standard features, finishes, and things that are easy to replicate (if you're willing to pay/DIY), a couple things that Urbandale does differently from other builders that are harder to match are exterior foundation wall insulation (they call this Urbandale "Proud Foundation" - other builders insulate only from the inside) and the use of copper plumbing (most other builders use PEX or PVC). Do research yourself to decide whether they're for you (they're certainly the more expensive way to do it).

In terms of unique standard features, Urbandale is the only builder I know that use frost glass garage in many of their models, and one of few builders that use triple-pane glass in most of their windows.