Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-07, 08:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
Aside from standard features, finishes, and things that are easy to replicate (if you're willing to pay/DIY), a couple things that Urbandale does differently from other builders that are harder to match are exterior foundation wall insulation (they call this Urbandale "Proud Foundation" - other builders insulate only from the inside) and the use of copper plumbing (most other builders use PEX or PVC). Do research yourself to decide whether they're for you (they're certainly the more expensive way to do it).

In terms of unique standard features, Urbandale is the only builder I know that use frost glass garage in many of their models, and one of few builders that use triple-pane glass in most of their windows.
I've found that Richcraft has a very high standard for foundation wall insulation - but I didn't know it was this good about URbandale - thank you!

Things like Copper Piping are pros - plumbing work can get expensive.

As far as I know, the model we like with Urbandale is actually cheaper than the Richcraft counterpart we are looking at - and even being 1-2km further up bank street is a lot of time saved.

Thank you so much for this insight!
Old 2018-09-07, 09:40 AM
Regular User

Will you be commuting downtown? Or to a different part of the city? I am wondering because you mention that Riverside South is a bit far for you, compared to Findlay Creek.

I am in Riverside South and the commute downtown is about 25 mins on a daily basis, leaving around 7:20am ish in the morning. I have co-workers in Findlay Creek who take Bank Street and they have told me it's quite bad, at least another 15 mins from my usual time.

Riverside South is also going to be directly connected to the LRT, which will be a great option for commuters and a real benefit for property value in the area for years to come. We recently bought in the area, and it was a real no-brainer when comparing to other options like Findlay Creek - we wanted to avoid Bank Street at all costs.

Also, I can tell you that we went with Richcraft and were very impressed. Our entire process went well, we closed right on time and the deficiencies were minor. Upgrades were a bit pricey but really not more than what we expected. We also bought when they had some major incentives in place which also helped a lot. If I ever have any questions I simply email them and I usually get a response within 30 minutes - their site office for Riverside South really has their act together.

I hope this helps somehow. Good luck with your decision.
Old 2018-09-07, 09:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopstah View Post
Will you be commuting downtown? Or to a different part of the city? I am wondering because you mention that Riverside South is a bit far for you, compared to Findlay Creek.

I am in Riverside South and the commute downtown is about 25 mins on a daily basis, leaving around 7:20am ish in the morning. I have co-workers in Findlay Creek who take Bank Street and they have told me it's quite bad, at least another 15 mins from my usual time.

Riverside South is also going to be directly connected to the LRT, which will be a great option for commuters and a real benefit for property value in the area for years to come. We recently bought in the area, and it was a real no-brainer when comparing to other options like Findlay Creek - we wanted to avoid Bank Street at all costs.

Also, I can tell you that we went with Richcraft and were very impressed. Our entire process went well, we closed right on time and the deficiencies were minor. Upgrades were a bit pricey but really not more than what we expected. We also bought when they had some major incentives in place which also helped a lot. If I ever have any questions I simply email them and I usually get a response within 30 minutes - their site office for Riverside South really has their act together.

I hope this helps somehow. Good luck with your decision.
We do commute downtown - but what's particularly attractive about Pathways and/or Cowan's Grove is it's proximity to LRT. The nearest LRT station from Riverside South will be the airport, whereas Pathways and Cowan's Grove have one that'll be an appx 3 minute drive to a park-and-ride.

I actually lived in Manotick for a few years - the commute up river road & prince of wales if you leave even a minute after 8AM is an absolute nightmare.

That said, perhaps I'll see what my lady thinks of Riverside South.

I've been happy with the road I've been going down with Richcraft thus far, but after speaking with a contractor who works for both companies, he's said to go with Urbandale over Richcraft - although they're both good builders.

If you don't mind my asking - what kind of deficiencies did you have?
Old 2018-09-07, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Are you aware of the full extension of Phase 2 LRT? The terminus station will be located in the heart of Riverside South, right at the intersection of Limebank and Earl Armstrong. It's going to be incredibly convenient for everyone in the neighbourhood. The airport line you are referring to is a separate line that shoots off from the main line, and you are correct won't be anywhere near Riverside South - but the main line will be going directly into our area, which was a major selling point for us in terms of choosing RSS.

You are correct that traffic after 8am is deadly, but if you leave around 7:30 it's really not too bad.

The deficiencies were all fairly minor. One roof shingle damaged, scratches to the floors which were quickly fixed. Some areas were not caulked properly, etc. We had a home inspector who pointed out about two dozen minor to relatively minor items which were all fixed promptly.

I've heard good things about both companies myself, the ones I've heard to avoid are Minto, Tamarak, Mattamy. I think with these two choices, you can't really go wrong
Old 2018-09-07, 02:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Are you aware of the full extension of Phase 2 LRT? The terminus station will be located in the heart of Riverside South, right at the intersection of Limebank and Earl Armstrong. It's going to be incredibly convenient for everyone in the neighbourhood. The airport line you are referring to is a separate line that shoots off from the main line, and you are correct won't be anywhere near Riverside South - but the main line will be going directly into our area, which was a major selling point for us in terms of choosing RSS.

You are correct that traffic after 8am is deadly, but if you leave around 7:30 it's really not too bad.

The deficiencies were all fairly minor. One roof shingle damaged, scratches to the floors which were quickly fixed. Some areas were not caulked properly, etc. We had a home inspector who pointed out about two dozen minor to relatively minor items which were all fixed promptly.

I've heard good things about both companies myself, the ones I've heard to avoid are Minto, Tamarak, Mattamy. I think with these two choices, you can't really go wrong
For some reason, the map didn't load below leitrim when I last opened it. I just saw the limebank station shortly after you posted this!

The trouble with 7:30AM departure is kids + pets. I'm lucky to get out of the house before 8 right now (What used to be an 8Am departure has now become nearly an 8:30 departure). but with LRT that's less of an issue. I noticed that urbandale is completely sold out of RSS (Which is upsetting, because I've been leaning more that way), but given that RSS is probably getting close to final development, it'll be less of a construction zone, and Richcraft is still a good builder.

Those are all small things - as long as it's nothing structural, I'm super glad to hear that.

If you don't mind my asking, which street & phase did you get in on? Which model did you choose?

Edit: Ha ha, it seems we've been avoiding the same companies. Don't forget the other crappy companies in the Tamarack portfolio...

Last edited by JCC; 2018-09-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2018-09-07, 02:45 PM
Regular User

They're "temporarily" sold out

I think there was an article actually on the CBC detailing some of the 'concerns' homeowners had with Tamarack
Old 2018-09-07, 03:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoMR View Post
They're "temporarily" sold out

I think there was an article actually on the CBC detailing some of the 'concerns' homeowners had with Tamarack
Oh yes. There have been a few.

Oh? I thought that was the last phase of development? Any idea when the next phase is coming?

I like Richcraft enough that I'd be willing to buy a richcraft - especially since the lot I like in RSS is a 5 minute walk from the LRT station.
Old 2018-09-07, 03:09 PM
Regular User

I heard about that! It did not sound good at all. Another reason to avoid Tamarak.

We are in Phase 8, we chose one of Richcraft's Echo models right on Ralph Hennessy. There is a bus stop across the street from us (278 express bus), and we will be a 10-15 min walk to the LRT station once Phase 2 is completed.

The commute is bad after 8pm, there's no denying that. Limebank is backed up well past River Road and moves slowly. If you leave earlier you will be fine, 7:30 seems to be the sweet spot as I mentioned above. But I totally understand the kids + pets part, there's no way around that

They have some pre-constructed homes left around us, about a half dozen in phase 8 I believe but they are all quick move-in dates since they are already built. I believe they are selling Phase 13 which is close by, if you're more interested in a new build and customization etc.

Have a good weekend friends, wish you all the best in your buying decision

Last edited by Mopstah; 2018-09-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 2018-09-07, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I heard about that! It did sound good at all. Another reason to avoid Tamarak.

We are in Phase 8, we chose one of Richcraft's Echo models right on Ralph Hennessy. There is a bus stop across the street from us (278 express bus), and we will be a 10-15 min walk to the LRT station once Phase 2 is completed.

The commute is bad after 8pm, there's no denying that. Limebank is backed up well past River Road and moves slowly. If you leave earlier you will be fine, 7:30 seems to be the sweet spot as I mentioned above. But I totally understand the kids + pets part, there's no way around that

They have some pre-constructed homes left around us, about a half dozen in phase 8 I believe but they are all quick move-in dates since they are already built. I believe they are selling Phase 13 which is close by, if you're more interested in a new build and customization etc.

Have a good weekend friends, wish you all the best in your buying decision
Hm. Well, maybe I can convince my lady to start leaving earlier -- and find a solution for the kids.

I've noticed a few empty lots, too -- I think we'd want to go with customization, so a new build is probably the best way.

Thank you for your helpful information! I super appreciate it!

Have an awesome weekend!!!
Old 2018-09-07, 05:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Oh yes. There have been a few.

Oh? I thought that was the last phase of development? Any idea when the next phase is coming?

I like Richcraft enough that I'd be willing to buy a richcraft - especially since the lot I like in RSS is a 5 minute walk from the LRT station.
They will be developing right behind the current neighborhood of Summerhill, between River and Spratt and just before Rideau road to the south. I believe Richcraft, Urbandale and HN will release info soon as the landowners for that parcel is Riverside South Development Corporation.

Have a great weekend all!