Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-09-18, 08:06 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopstah View Post
30K is an outrageous cost for a basement. In most cases, you can do the job for $10K with mid-to-high level finishes, as you mentioned. Additionally, most builders include either a finished basement or design centre credit as part of their promotional offers, so your out-of-pocket expenses are often much less if you are buying new.

I finished my basement, installed A/C, and upgraded to granite with my builder for $10K total in upgrade costs. And that's builder pricing. So I think your pricing may be out of line a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Would love to know which builder charged you this low price for granite, A/C and a finished bsmt. That is not consistent with reality IMHO.
Old 2018-09-18, 08:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Would love to know which builder charged you this low price for granite, A/C and a finished bsmt. That is not consistent with reality IMHO.

I am also curious to know which builder That's a pretty smoking deal!
Old 2018-09-18, 08:50 AM
Regular User

My basement is about 1,000 sq ft and it cost me about $20k doing most of the work myself. Mind you I used Barricade subfloor and spray foam - but other than that nothing crazy. Carpet and underpad was $3k, spray foam $2k, toilet, vanity, doors, moulding, paint, drywall, electrical, electrician. You can hit $15 or $20k pretty quick.

Now is my basement warmer than the builder-finished $30k jobs in my area, yes, because they just used bag insulation and carpet right on the cement.

If you have the ability to do it yourself you can save a good chunk of change, and with very little effort you can do a much better job and use better materials than what the builder will use.
Old 2018-09-18, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
Are you the same guy who was looking for a house with an in-ground pool for 350K (ish) a few months back? Seems you’re a bit out of touch with what things cost – no offense meant... we all have to start somewhere. 10K to finish a basement is very cheap especially including a bathroom – and no you are not getting all “high end things” for that price regardless of who is doing it. I have neighbours with 70K basements and while they are pretty awesome they are not extravagant (not huge, maybe 1000 sq ft).

Also, your comment about “guaranteed investments that yield high returns” makes me think you have been up all night drinking – again no offense, I’m kind of jealous . These do not exist, and anyone who tells you otherwise is on commission. If you’re looking for advice on where you get the best ROI for home improvements..... most would agree that a well done kitchen and bathroom upgrade is your “safest” bet (never guaranteed). You can get your money back on a basement as well but some people have their own specific vision in mind, and some people simply don’t place a big $ premium on extra space if they don’t need it. So it will depend on the quality of the job and also on who your eventual buyer is.

Nice walkout – can’t go wrong with that!

That's me!! LOL Tons of them sold for that price.Keep in mind the pool does not add value to the eyes or most buyers. A real estate agent will tell you that. Yet, when I sold my house the only comment was: 'We love it, but there is no pool' LOL. Can't win!

Last edited by eastendguy; 2018-09-18 at 09:05 AM.
Old 2018-09-18, 09:04 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
My basement is about 1,000 sq ft and it cost me about $20k doing most of the work myself. Mind you I used Barricade subfloor and spray foam - but other than that nothing crazy. Carpet and underpad was $3k, spray foam $2k, toilets, doors, moulding, paint, drywall, electrical, electrician. You can hit $15 or $20k pretty quick.

Now is my basement warmer than the builder-finished $30k jobs in my area, yes, because they just used bag insulation and carpet right on the cement.

If you have the ability to do it yourself you can save a good chunk of change, and with very little effort you can do a much better job and use better materials than what the builder will use.
My dad is doing it for free. I'm an IT guy. I own a measuring tape and that's about it lol

Because of the spa, I decided to go with a more 'Water resistant' floor option. Hopefully it won't be too cold. It's not very thick.

Man I love that trim!

Your right, I shouldn't say high end, it's pretty standard materials, but it's not on the low end either.

-----

Now I need to figure out if I have enough room for both the pool table and a few exercise machines. Want to put a a 70-75 inch tv on that big wall so that we can watch sports as we play on the pool table and also would like to be able to do my workout in front of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 8.58.22 AM.jpg (20.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 8.58.27 AM.jpg (18.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 2018-09-18, 09:08 AM
Regular User

I don't get this post. Just here to brag about your dads connections?

We (completely) finished our basement (townhouse) last year. Like other posters we didn't go crazy with the finishes but we didn't get $170 (cheap) toilets either. 1 full bath. We also did spray foam, an insulated subfloor (dricore r+) and a kitchenette. We did a lot of the work ourselves, shopped around, but the space still ended up costing almost 20k. Before beginning our work, we saw our neighbours (same) space a few houses over. He paid about 25k and its much worse.
Old 2018-09-18, 09:09 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
I don't get this post. Just here to brag about your dads connections?

We (completely) finished our basement (townhouse) last year. Like other posters we didn't go crazy with the finishes but we didn't get $170 either. We also did spray foam, an insulated subfloor and a kitchenette. We did a lot of the work ourselves, shopped around, but the space still ended up costing almost 20k. Before beginning our work, we saw our neighbours (same) space a few houses over. He paid about 25k and its much worse.

More to see how much it really costs! Did you do most of the work? Sounds like you did well on quality/price ratio!
Old 2018-09-18, 09:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrudge View Post
My basement is about 1,000 sq ft and it cost me about $20k doing most of the work myself. Mind you I used Barricade subfloor and spray foam - but other than that nothing crazy. Carpet and underpad was $3k, spray foam $2k, toilet, vanity, doors, moulding, paint, drywall, electrical, electrician. You can hit $15 or $20k pretty quick.

I am highly skeptical of a 1,000sq ft basement (even with 8ft walls) getting spray foam done for $2k...that is less than half the cost of the lowest quotes out there.
Old 2018-09-18, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
I am highly skeptical of a 1,000sq ft basement (even with 8ft walls) getting spray foam done for $2k...that is less than half the cost of the lowest quotes out there.

Is spray-foam that much better? Mine was already insulated (not spray-foam) so didn't have to do that part, but curious.
Old 2018-09-18, 10:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendguy View Post
Is spray-foam that much better? Mine was already insulated (not spray-foam) so didn't have to do that part, but curious.
Generally considered the most effective if applied by a license/competent professional. However, also the most expensive.