Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-08, 01:27 PM
Regular User

Default Property line question...

For most properties, the city has access to a certain area of the front of your property (nearest to the curb).

Does anyone know how deep into your lawn is it in which you are not allowed to plant trees, shrubs, etc. and conversely that the city is 'allowed' to plow snow onto?

TIA

Old 2010-03-08, 02:21 PM
Regular User

The right-of-way (ROW) will vary depending upon the type of road and it's use. The site plan from your builder would state the ROW.
Old 2010-03-08, 05:00 PM
Regular User

As far as I know, you can plant trees/shrubs on the city portion but they might damage them if they have to do work. If anyone has specific knowledge feel free to correct me.
Old 2010-03-08, 05:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielboy View Post
As far as I know, you can plant trees/shrubs on the city portion but they might damage them if they have to do work. If anyone has specific knowledge feel free to correct me.
Yes you can plant on the city side but if they have to do work and the plants get damaged they will just plant sod. I was also told to leave a bit of space for the snow pile up.

BTW. You have to call to get the lines marked before you do any digging. Usually they need 1 week notice.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2010-03-09, 12:02 AM

Default Property lines

After 4 years of actually installing main trench in the property lines for various builders in Ottawa, I can tell you an easy way to see where the property lines lie.

If you stand in line with all the streetlights on your street, the property line should be three feet towards your house. Also the small green or brown utility pedestals and large green hydro transformer box should be sitting about 6 inches to a foot on the city side of the property line.

I know streetlight position varies with the neighborhood, but the other one is an Ottawa Hydro standard.

Of course you should always call for a utility location before digging. And a look at the site map can tell you exactly where the property line is.