Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-03-27, 12:38 AM
Regular User

Default Planting beyond our property line

Can anyone point me on some kind of by-law's, or any kind of info about the subject .

Did anyone planted outside your property line , and what happened?

What if I dont like nasty looking tree the "city" planted in front of my house. Can I replace it with other tree?

Old 2011-03-27, 06:00 AM
Regular User

suggest you call city for official policy but from what i've seen plantings on city property is pretty common

keep in mind anything you put there could be removed / dug up if there was a need to do some work - but that seems rare

there are clearance restrictions around utility pedestals that are routinely ignored

the trees are put in by the builder based on an approved landscaping plan - replacing the tree (with an approved type and similar size) once the inspection has happened seems to be ok
Old 2011-03-27, 10:17 AM
Regular User

I seem to recall last year of a story that hit the news regarding this. The person in the story had planted beyond her property line and was ordered by the City to remove it, or they would remove it and bill her. She didn't understand it as she was looking after it and didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

There are generally 2 issues with it. One, the most obvious, is that you don't own the property, so it is not yours to do with as you wish. Many folks plant on property adjacent to their rear yards, in effect, visually expanding the size of their lots. You see this quite often on rear yards that back onto ravines and parks. They have no legal right to do so, but naively believe that their attempt to beautify and improve the land trumps legal rights.

The second issue concerns the planting material. Many folks unknowingly plant evasive plant species that can disrupt the surrounding natural habitat. Most plants that buy at the nursery are not native to Ottawa and should not be allowed to grow unchecked in our natural surroundings. Many plants are quite difficult to control with roots that take over natural plants or seeds that can easily be blown in the wind and quickly choke out naturally occurring species.

The City also has issues with access issues. Many ravines and fields need to be accessed for watering and maintenance purposes and folks restrict that access when they start planting outside their property zone. Imagine if you couldn't access your property due to a neighbor planting on it.

As suggested earlier, when in doubt, contact the City. I have found City personnel to be very helpful whenever I have had a question.