Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-23, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Default Best single family home in OTT - price & builder?

We're struggling to find the perfect home builder that fits our budgets and needs for a single family home. Please share your opinion on the best builder for single family homes - preferably homes starting at less than $400,000 in Ottawa. We're not interested in moving to Stittsville, Kanata or Barrhaven, but will live in Orleans.

Do single homes exist for less than $400,000? Are we living in dreamland?

Our original search was for a townhome, but now we're wondering if a single is better for our growing family and for a future investment? For example, if we buy a townhome now, will we ever be able to "afford" a single family home or always fall behind?

We can "afford" a single family home, but we're not interested in paying $500,000 for said home. We're seriously considering moving to Aylmer/Gatineau to find the house we want at a much better price point.

We're also investigating Cardel singles in Notting Hill South this weekend - I *think* there are some models that start less than $400,000 (unless the website steered me wrong) and even a standard model with very few upgrades would make for a very nice house. Thoughts?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 2010-09-23, 02:15 PM
Regular User

Mattamy has a TON of single homes starting under $400,000 but since you've ruled out Barrhaven, that doesn't fly.

Try checking out the Mattamy Orleans release on the 2nd of October as their pricing might fall within your realm.

Personally, moving to Alymer/Gatineau to save money isn't an option for me. Quebec tax filing, laws (winter tires mandatory), commute over the bridge(s), etc. are an absolute deterrent for me.

Good luck with your search!
Old 2010-09-23, 02:15 PM
Regular User

In that area, other builders include:

Richcraft
http://www.richcraft.com/nottinghill.htm

Minto:
http://www.minto.com/buy-a-home-in-o...alon/main.html

Tamarack:
http://tamarackhomes.com/chaperal-community-home.html

and Mattamy:
http://mattamyhomes.com/Ottawa/Commu...gistration.asp

I couldn't find prices for Richcraft, but all the others have homes under 400k (Mattamy hasn't released yet, so I'm going by their prices in HMB)

I'd go check out the model homes and visit the different sales centres to see what you think.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:21 PM
Regular User

Cardel at Notting Hill South starts from $389k according to their website.
http://www.cardelhomes.com/ottawa/co...ill-south.html
Old 2010-09-23, 02:22 PM
Regular User

From my experience thus far, I have been quite happy with Minto. Their basic features tend to be lower than other builders like Cardel and Richcraft but they are priced accordingly. This gives you the freedom to choose your preferred upgrades rather than getting the ones the builder had already decided you should get. ex if the standard is hardwood, and you prefer carpet ... most builders will not credit you for not getting the hardwood and you end up paying extra for carpet.

Minto is also very good with meeting closing dates. And while some of their upgrade prices sound crazy, in most cases they are reasonable. I have had friends buy Richcraft homes and i was quite surprised to see the level of finishing on closing day. Despite paying more, the end result still left a lot to be desired and resulted in a lot of post closing work.

Cardels designs and floor plans are definitely more attractive but so are their prices

Look through the forums and you will get a sense of how satisfied most of the people on here are with their builder. I am on my second Minto home and so far don't have any regrets.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:23 PM
Regular User

Be careful if you decide to look into buying on the Quebec side. Depending on your situation it can be cheaper or more expensive.

It can be a great deal if you are a family with a lot of kids. Social programs ($7 a day daycare) and lower housing prices are great. If however you are single or a married couple with no kids then the extra income tax you will pay can be more than enough to compensate for the mortgage savings because of the cheaper homes. Every situation is different though, just be sure to look into everything (I do wish we had their low electricity costs though).
Old 2010-09-23, 02:41 PM
Regular User

CBC Ottawa had a series of stories on "Crossing the Bridge".

This one does a tax comparison:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...ren-costs.html

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-09-23, 02:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torune View Post
Cardel at Notting Hill South starts from $389k according to their website.
http://www.cardelhomes.com/ottawa/co...ill-south.html
Some of the prices on the Cardel web site are out of date... Best to check out the sale center.
Old 2010-09-23, 04:26 PM
Regular User

I am surprised you'd rather move to Quebec than Barrhaven, Kanata or Stittsville! I lived in Quebec for a lot of my teenage years and really disliked it.
Old 2010-09-23, 05:17 PM
Regular User

Would you consider Riverside South?