Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-04, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
... brick not caulked/grouted in one brick ...
Depending on which brick, this may be deliberate. There are supposed to be gaps, generally along the bottom row, to allow any water that may get in behind the bricks to have a place to drain out.
If the gap is in the middle of the wall or some other weird place, probably not.
Old 2019-10-04, 12:07 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Depending on which brick, this may be deliberate. There are supposed to be gaps, generally along the bottom row, to allow any water that may get in behind the bricks to have a place to drain out.
If the gap is in the middle of the wall or some other weird place, probably not.
Well then, that's good to know - thanks for that!

I think it's at/near the bottom.
Old 2019-10-08, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Well then, that's good to know - thanks for that!

I think it's at/near the bottom.
How can you guys get into the new house so frequently? The builder told us we only have one time appointment to walk through the house before the PDI (basically to check the frame work).
Old 2019-10-08, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW126 View Post
How can you guys get into the new house so frequently? The builder told us we only have one time appointment to walk through the house before the PDI (basically to check the frame work).
All you've gotta do is ask. Give a bit of notice and ask. I just send an email or text to the construction office, give the date and time, and they notify the site. We're also in Riverside South - easier to get into the actual community because it's pre-existing - so we can drive up to it any time.
Old 2019-10-08, 01:20 PM

Quote:
All you've gotta do is ask. Give a bit of notice and ask. I just send an email or text to the construction office, give the date and time, and they notify the site. We're also in Riverside South - easier to get into the actual community because it's pre-existing - so we can drive up to it any time.
OK, thanks a lot. By the way one more question, will the builder give you the construction office information after the first frame work walk through, or you have to ask for it? We are from HN, they never tell us that we could communicate with the construction office.......
Old 2019-10-08, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW126 View Post
OK, thanks a lot. By the way one more question, will the builder give you the construction office information after the first frame work walk through, or you have to ask for it? We are from HN, they never tell us that we could communicate with the construction office.......
Eh - I don't ask for permission, I just try it and see if it works - worst case, someone says no - right?. I got the email & phone number of the construction office when they emailed me to schedule my framing walk-through. They didn't seem to take issue with me writing!
Old 2019-10-08, 04:06 PM
Regular User

I just trespassed. Lol

But now that they are working on the interior, they locked the house. It doesn't hurt to ask though.
Old 2019-10-18, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
Just had our PDI today... Wow what a fricken disaster.
Hi Jord. Were things were corrected by closing day? or did you run into further troubles?
Old 2019-10-18, 10:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowans_atlantis View Post

Hi Jord. Were things were corrected by closing day? or did you run into further troubles?
After picking up the keys from our lawyers office, we headed straight to the house to find the front door wide open and a man smoking while scraping the paint off our entry way because it was painted the wrong colour! Kitchen trim pieces missing, range fan bent, several doors and drawers damaged, 3 drawers don’t actually close all the way because they hit the overhang from the counter top, doors missing on our laundry closet, that hardwood step at the front entry way is still crooked, no weather stripping on the front door or door to the garage, front door glass is all scratched, cracked tiles. The window in my 2 year olds room wouldn’t actually close. The paint is really disappointing. Paint on lots of the door hardware, drip marks everywhere, patches not sanded properly, gaps in many windows and trim not caulked. There is a chip in our quartz countertop. They replaced all of the damaged flooring. They said there was a major leak from the bathroom above the kitchen. They forgot to install the smart home system and thermostat bonus on our entire row. Nobody from Urbandale contacted me saying when they would finish anything or who to contact. I called right away they sent someone a few days later to fix the window since it was near freezing. 3 different people came and they finally got it closed, now it won’t open! They are sending people 3 different days next week to fix things and I’m having to book time off work for all of these appointments which is really inconvenient. We’re hesitant to even unpack anything because so much needs to be re painted. Don’t get me wrong I love the house and the quality of the finishes, I just can’t believe how much of it is damaged. It’s clear that they’re in way over their head and struggling to get homes finished. I can see them painting through the night in the home next door trying to finish, it’s probably closing any day now. Just no quality control on anything. So many things missing, damaged, or not working. They’re accepting that it’s bad and taking responsibility and I’m sure things will get sorted eventually, but it’s been a really unpleasant experience overall. Urbandale has definitely compromised on quality in order to sell/build more homes then they can handle.

Last edited by Jord; 2019-10-18 at 11:02 PM.
Old 2019-10-18, 11:14 PM
Regular User

I have to say I’ve had the complete opposite experience... we are about to close on our riverside south urbandale single, and we had PDI earlier. At PDI, everything was done and in almost perfect shape. There were a few things that needed to be fixed, many touch ups needed, and some more substantial things like a screw needing to be tightened in a window, some door hardware changed out, weather stripping added, air conditioner added, and grade done.

For the most part, the house was near perfect. They said they’d be trying to get most of the work done before closing, so that on the actual scheduled repair day, they don’t have much to do...

I’m really, really sorry that’s been your experience. The inconsistency concerns me.