Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-10-25, 07:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa613 View Post
Just wanted to mention that I drove through the Caivan's Richmond development and stopped someone walking their dog to ask if:

a. they lived there; and
b. how has the experience been so far

They said they do in fact live there and there experience thus far with the quality and after move-service has been great.
Thanks for the update and this is definitely great to hear! Hopefully we will have the same experience in Barrhaven.

We also took a drive to the Conservancy site recently and it was exciting to see all the progress. Our house hadn't been framed yet but definitely seemed like it would be starting soon. The houses that are up look pretty good so far, the construction site also seems generally clean and well organized which is always a good sign.
Old 2019-10-26, 07:48 AM

Default Conservancy

Just wanted to say thanks to all those posted about the Conservancy community. Very interesting to read. We purchased in Conservancy. A bit shocked at some of the upgrade prices, but its our first new build so maybe its normal?
Driving by the site is super exciting how much progress has been made. I agree looks great and the site looks organized from what I can see.
Old 2019-10-30, 07:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melynkout View Post
I received an email about two weeks ago saying our home has started excavation for the foundation. Took a drive down Jockvale and you can see at least half a dozen house's framed already. Curious if anyone has anymore information regarding frameing walkthroughs, communication with the builder, or if the closing dates are also still on target? Also Caivan's newest community launched last weekend and was shocked at the price jump. Guess I should not be surprised in this market.

We received that email in the middle of September and take a drive out every week or so to check on progress (we live close by). Whereabouts is your house? I'm assuming our closing dates are close, ours is Aug 6 2020.
Old 2019-11-25, 01:27 PM

Default Visits to the site

I also took a visit to the site a while ago. A lot of holes in the ground....then a couple of weeks ago I a letter in the mail suggesting that owners avoid visiting the site....Haha, I guess more than a few people went to the site.

How about those upgrade prices kids??? Yikes. Being an out of towner it still blows my mind that new houses in Ontario are sold without eavestroughing. Has that always been the case or was it a corner one builder cut and others followed?
Old 2019-11-25, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgardens View Post
We received that email in the middle of September and take a drive out every week or so to check on progress (we live close by). Whereabouts is your house? I'm assuming our closing dates are close, ours is Aug 6 2020.
I also took a visit to the site a while ago. A lot of holes in the ground....then a couple of weeks ago I a letter in the mail suggesting that owners avoid visiting the site....Haha, I guess more than a few people went to the site.

How about those upgrade prices kids??? Yikes. Being an out of towner it still blows my mind that new houses in Ontario are sold without eavestroughing. Has that always been the case or was it a corner one builder cut and others followed?
Old 2019-11-25, 02:16 PM
Regular User

It's actually both cost reduction and liability reduction. The latter is due to ice build up on the eaves, and could cause water leakage running into the roof. This is why many builders advise against doing the eaves. Although lately several premium builders start making the eavetrough part of the standard package.
Old 2019-11-25, 04:28 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
It's actually both cost reduction and liability reduction. The latter is due to ice build up on the eaves, and could cause water leakage running into the roof. This is why many builders advise against doing the eaves. Although lately several premium builders start making the eavetrough part of the standard package.
Hi,
Which builders, if I may ask?
I didnt know builders dont recommend eaves. Interesting concept.
Old 2019-11-26, 11:14 AM
Regular User

Improperly installed eavestroughing combined with an inadequate roofing job could result in ice damming and "leakage".

Ask the builders that recommend against eavestroughing whether it's because they're supplying an inferior roofing job, or improperly installed troughing, or both.
Old 2019-11-27, 08:25 AM

wrong. they don't install them because of 85% of buyers don't maintain them. eavestroughs need to be cleaned/maintained dillgently. if not, it can be serious issues. not worth the risk.
Old 2019-11-27, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer77 View Post
wrong. they don't install them because of 85% of buyers don't maintain them. eavestroughs need to be cleaned/maintained dillgently. if not, it can be serious issues. not worth the risk.
^^

Except that 85%+ of new homes don't have any trees taller than 10ft that would jam up eaves so nothing needs to be cleaned. We're on our 7th year and I check each season when I put up our Christmas lights and there isn't more than a few roofing screws or shingle sediment amounting to a few grains. And the same can likely be said of the several hundred homes in and around Barrhaven so I respectfully disagree with the above.