Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-02-26, 11:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn50 View Post
Hey neighbours!!
My boyfriend and I just purchased lot 1 and our design appointment is coming up soon. Does anyone own a marigold and have any input on where to put our design money? We got the upgraded master oasis, laundry upstairs, hearth and home, 4th bedroom plus design money. Even if you don't own the same model I'd love to hear what you are planning on upgrading
Welcome to the forum! I'm not in your neighborhood but I am a Marigold owner in Monahan Landing. I actually had a post months ago where I mentioned some of the things I was thinking about upgrading.

Enjoy the process!

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...428#post295428
Old 2016-02-26, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm not in your neighborhood but I am a Marigold owner in Monahan Landing. I actually had a post months ago where I mentioned some of the things I was thinking about upgrading.

Enjoy the process!

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...428#post295428
Thanks so much!

Was there anything else that you would recommend considering now that you have moved in? Also, what is your great room set up? We're thinking of putting a sectional on the far wall and then the tv on the other wall closer to the dining room... Does your couch face the fireplace (if you have one)?
Old 2016-02-29, 12:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn50 View Post
Thanks so much!

Was there anything else that you would recommend considering now that you have moved in? Also, what is your great room set up? We're thinking of putting a sectional on the far wall and then the tv on the other wall closer to the dining room... Does your couch face the fireplace (if you have one)?
I got the glass shower in the bath oasis, and I love it. Just like the model home. Only quibble I have about that is the towel bar placement over the toilet which is not my favourite location, but I can't think of a better one. Maybe I'd put it up taller than the builder did.

Actually, maybe the better move is to delete the builder standard towel racks and toilet paper holders and get your own afterward. They really aren't very impressive.

I upgraded my stairs and upstairs landing/den to hardwood and I am very happy with that decision.

Upgrading the closet sliders in the bedrooms to mirrored sliders was relatively cheap and I did it for one bedroom, but I wish I had done it for both.

As for my great room, I haven't come up with a plan yet. Experimenting with some layout ideas before I commit and buy furniture. I do have a fireplace and I am considering the layout you suggested. I'm just concerned that unless I get a huge TV that distance is rather far. The other layout I was going to try is the TV over the fireplace with two couches facing each other in the middle of the room.

Some extra outlets in the basement would have been a good idea. And I don't know if they would have been open to moving the bathroom rough in I got as part of the Rec Room Ready package, but I would have moved it into the corner instead of where it ended up being on the side wall.

I should have asked for a few more phone lines/CAT5 jacks, one in every bedroom. At least I have an attic-to-basement conduit so it's less of a hassle to do later, but still some work.

I am waffling over whether I made the right call not to bother insulating the rest of the garage. It would have been a few hundred dollars more for each of the ceiling and the exterior wall cavity.

Last edited by GreyingJay; 2016-03-08 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Edit to add more thoughts
Old 2016-03-05, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Does anyone know when we go to Mattamy university?
Old 2016-03-09, 10:01 AM
Regular User

We haven't received anything about Mattamy U, but then again we are still much further away than you are from closing.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has finished their design centre appointment and decided on a traditional wooden mantle, if so what were the available choices? The pictures shown in the guide appear to be the basic Bonaparte Napoleon model mantles and we are thinking of foregoing the upgrade and getting our own later.
Old 2016-03-09, 10:08 AM
Regular User

I upgraded to have the stone fireplace with the mantle stained to the same colour as the stairs. If you haven't done so already, you should visit the design center so that you can look at the various options that they have there.

Sue
Old 2016-03-09, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I upgraded to have the stone fireplace with the mantle stained to the same colour as the stairs. If you haven't done so already, you should visit the design center so that you can look at the various options that they have there.

Sue
Hi Sue, I have already been into the design centre multiple times and am soon approaching on the appointment date. I am looking at going with the mantel in white with a granite inlay but I was interested to know if they offered different designs of the actual mantel, not just the inlay. I was hoping for something a little bit bigger than the version they had offered but don't want to go with the stone(rox) inlay.
Old 2016-03-09, 03:11 PM
Regular User

FYI - see there is a BH South Community Design Plan info session tomorrow evening @ Pierre Savard 6:30 - 9:00

1110 Longfields
Old 2016-03-09, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Hi Sue, I have already been into the design centre multiple times and am soon approaching on the appointment date. I am looking at going with the mantel in white with a granite inlay but I was interested to know if they offered different designs of the actual mantel, not just the inlay. I was hoping for something a little bit bigger than the version they had offered but don't want to go with the stone(rox) inlay.
As far as I know, if it's not in the design book it doesn't exist, but if you have a design appointment coming up, you should be able to just email your designer with any questions before the appointment.
Old 2016-03-10, 11:48 AM
Regular User

If anyone is interested in the Community Design Plan Open House tonight that HMBTUX mentioned, here is the link.

http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/public...en-house-march