Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-05-01, 09:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaG View Post
Same for us too, I don't recall this loud a sound of the water flowing through the pipes ever in my old house.....I don't also remember if soundproofing was one of the upgrades, never crossed my mind about this water flow
I did talk to Mattamy during my PDI about this and they said there was an option for insulating the wall that I didn't select. I don't recall any upgrade for wrapping/soundproofing the ABS pipe itself but there is definitely an option to insulate the wall but I am not sure if that is going to make any difference to that noise or not.
Old 2017-05-01, 10:55 AM
Regular User

There were options for "quiet walls" but nothing about quiet pipes. I can hear the water quite loudly from my laundry room and upstairs bathrooms.
Old 2017-05-01, 12:16 PM
Regular User

I don't recall anything like 'Quite Wall' upgrade in my personalize upgrade book. Maybe all the do is just put some insulation behind the dry wall. I also checked on of my friends house which is built by another builder named Tartan Homes. Noise in his home isn't as bad as in mine. I guess some builders might be doing soondproofing of those ABS pipe as standard feature.
Old 2017-05-01, 12:35 PM
Regular User

I dont know of any builder that sound dampens the plumbing as a standard feature. There is no such thing as 'sound proof' though.
Old 2017-05-02, 12:34 PM
Regular User

I have a question.... My 30 day Tarion report is coming soon. You guys think it's worth hiring a Home Inspector for 30 day or should I wait till 1 year report?
Old 2017-05-02, 03:03 PM
Regular User

There is no real benefit in waiting to resolve issues. If you are new to home ownership and / or have limited knowledge yourself of what might be wrong, its probably worth it doing it now.
Old 2017-05-02, 08:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafr1 View Post
I have a question.... My 30 day Tarion report is coming soon. You guys think it's worth hiring a Home Inspector for 30 day or should I wait till 1 year report?
I got an inspector for the 30 day. He found things I wouldn't have found, like shingles that needed to be secured on the roof peak, weep holes that were blocked in the cement, improper taping in the garage and a few other things. I just found there were too many things to look at and I wasn't up to date with the current building code. They also helped put everything in the right format for Tarion and took pictures.
Old 2017-05-10, 12:35 PM
Regular User

I'm in a townhouse in this phase. All along the build process the builder has promised privacy fences between units. Now it seems they have had a change of heart despite verbal promises as recently as the end of March.

I've heard from others in my row, but just thought I'd throw it out there for other townhome owners. What have you heard, what were you told?
Old 2017-05-10, 07:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
I'm in a townhouse in this phase. All along the build process the builder has promised privacy fences between units. Now it seems they have had a change of heart despite verbal promises as recently as the end of March.
I feel like I remember the two fence panels being in the spec sheet attached to our sales agreement when we bought in 2010 - might be worth double-checking if you haven't already...
Old 2017-05-11, 04:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post

I've heard from others in my row, but just thought I'd throw it out there for other townhome owners. What have you heard, what were you told?
I was told they would be installing the 2 fence panels between homes. I will have to double check the documentation to see if it is included there.