Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2017-09-13, 07:56 PM

Default Upgrades from builder - Mattamy

Hi everyone,

We've recently purchased a Marigold corner from Mattamy in Summerside West. I've been to the design centre and just received the guide and my appt is in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the following:

1. Insulation - should I get extra? If so, would you just get it the garage ceiling and walls? Would you get it anywhere else?

2. Insulated garage door for 900? Worth getting?

3. Air Conditioning - would you get the 2.0 ton for 1700sf at $3200? Is this best to get after?

4. Gas hookups? We've never used a gas stove or BBQ in the last 20 years. Is this a similar cost if I do it later? (approx. $500 each hookup)

5. Backsplash - any ideas how much this is? I couldn't find it in the guide.

6. Furnace - worth upgrading? I don't know what the difference would be...

7. Potlights - is exterior worth doing or is it easy to do later? Interior - if I get four in kitchen and four in great room, should i wait on rest?

8. Smooth ceilings - downstairs costs 1500$ and seems to be only for the great room (12x19)

and lastly, fireplace - if I wanted to have all stone on the wall, is it best to delete the mantle etc? and should I get the fan option?

Thank you very much! The rest of the guide seemed fairly straight forward.

Stephanie
Old 2017-09-14, 11:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnik View Post
Hi everyone,

We've recently purchased a Marigold corner from Mattamy in Summerside West. I've been to the design centre and just received the guide and my appt is in a couple of weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the following:

1. Insulation - should I get extra? If so, would you just get it the garage ceiling and walls? Would you get it anywhere else?

3. Air Conditioning - would you get the 2.0 ton for 1700sf at $3200? Is this best to get after?

4. Gas hookups? We've never used a gas stove or BBQ in the last 20 years. Is this a similar cost if I do it later? (approx. $500 each hookup)

7. Potlights - is exterior worth doing or is it easy to do later? Interior - if I get four in kitchen and four in great room, should i wait on rest?

8. Smooth ceilings - downstairs costs 1500$ and seems to be only for the great room (12x19)

and lastly, fireplace - if I wanted to have all stone on the wall, is it best to delete the mantle etc? and should I get the fan option?

Thank you very much! The rest of the guide seemed fairly straight forward.

Stephanie
We purchased Mattamy's Magnolia model last year and closed this year. Following are my thoughts about the Mattamy upgrades.

1) I don't think that they have this option to add MORE insulation anywhere. In fact I remember asking them to increase the insulation in Garage ceiling as my Master Bedroom is above garage and they said there is no option like this. Mattamy didn't even provide any option to upgrade Attic insulation. The only insulation option they have is to Insulate the un-insulated walls inside the house. So we went with the default insulation package.

2) Insulated garage, afaik it's not going to affect the rooms above the garage at all.

3) We went with 2.5T a/c with Mattamy because we were getting about $700 discount on hardwood if you buy AC through mattamy.

4) We use gas stove so we went with this upgrade.

5) We paid about 2400 for kitchen backsplash. But I think prices have been increased this year.

6) They have option of 2-stage furnace, that's considered more energy efficient. I remember asking this question in this forum and alot of people said that because of the price of upgrade, it isn't worth upgrading.

7) Mattamy doesn't give option of Exterior potlights anymore. We wanted to do it with them and they said they don't have this option. You can get conduit from basement to attic and get the exterior potlights after closing. We are thinking about doing this too. We went with interior pot lights with Mattamy but alot of my neighbors did pot lights after closing and they got better and cheaper potlights than what Mattamy offers.

8) IMO smooth ceiling is worth on main floor. Because your kitchen/breakfast area is going to have smooth ceiling anyways. I have nothing against popcorn ceiling but I personally don't like half smooth and half stipple on the same floor. On 2nd floor, it's up to you. I personally don't mind popcorn in 2nd floor. We went with smooth ceiling just on main floor.

Remember, doing it after closing is extremely messy. I did ask for several quotes from different companies (for 2nd floor) after closing and they all told me that it's now going to be more expensive than what builder was offering and it's going to take 3-4 days.

9) I can't say if it's best or not to delete the mental but we went with stone wall and tv ready wall above the fire place. We also removed the mantle. I don't remember going for any fan upgrade.

Best of luck.
Old 2017-09-14, 11:26 AM
Regular User

I had the walls insulated because I use the garage as a shop and do all the work on my cars. I probably wouldnt if it was just somewhere to park.

I insulated my own garage door with rigid foam panels and sprayfoam. Its not much uglier than a real insulated door.

Get this after. In my case the cost was about the same either way but I ended up with a 16 SEER and, more importantly, it was in a location of my choosing. Did not want it in the backyard where it would be louder. Sure, you might be able to request a different location through the builder but if someone slips up and puts it in the standard location, you are S.O.L.

I did this myself after the fact. It isnt harder to do after the fact so no strong reason to do it with builder.

Difference may be in efficiency or in the blower motor capabilities. I found the stock mattamy unit fine.

Id do any potlights you want to do now, personally.

Typically I think only the bathrooms and kitchen come with smooth ceilings. The smooth ceiling would include hallways etc.

I would delete the mantle if I wanted to do a stone veneer. Definitely get the fan if you want your fireplace to be functional.
Two personal opinions on fireplaces:
1. Stone veneer/ accent walls look kind of cheesy IMO with the old "square" black fireplaces. They look stunning with one of the more sleek, wide, modern fireplaces. (I dont think these are available with fans, though, and they are $$$)
2. I hate TVs above fireplaces personally - it is not a comfortable way to watch TV or play video games unless you are standing up. TVs should be close to eye level when viewing.

Last edited by dvg; 2017-09-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2017-09-14, 03:09 PM
Regular User

This is what my insulated garage door looks like (not Mattamy). Its pretty solid. My experience with Mattamy has been ... not so good. Anything I can do after taking possession i'd skip.

Last edited by hjuandok; 2017-09-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 2017-09-14, 03:20 PM
Regular User

We chose the insulated garage door because you get a better built product. Might need a beefier garage door opener because it weights quite a bit.

We also upgraded our furnace because you get a better built product. From what I understand the default is considered "Builders Quality" and it is not the same as the entry level furnaces from Lennox or whomever.

We also went with smooth ceilings on the main floor. Not only are they trendy but they are easier to repair if you need to cut a hole in them to fix a leaky drain pipe or have water damage from above.
Old 2017-09-14, 04:28 PM
Regular User

I just have my design centre appointment with other builder. Their price is a lot reasonable. My new home is about 3,000 square feet.

$790 (double car garage)

$780 (double car garage)

$3,700 for 2.5 ton unit.

Stove - $445
BBQ - $355
Upgrade to 1" gas line - $340
Add one additional shut-off valve inside - $67

$1,100 for the 2nd highest level of backspash for kitchen

They no longer offer this option. No high demand

Doing this after is a bit more difficult with the finished ceiling

$1,550 for both ground floor and second floor.

I guess Mattamy home try to make up their money through upgrades.
Old 2017-09-14, 10:48 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies! It's hard work figuring this stuff out and not wanting to overspend. I feel better about going to the design appt.

Stephanie
Old 2017-09-15, 08:09 AM
Regular User

The higher clean looking baseboard they offer is a nice touch.
Old 2017-09-15, 11:24 AM
Regular User

You would want to upgrade to a 2-stage furnace. I am living in a Mattamy townhome right now, and the 1-stage furnace is very noisy.
Old 2017-09-15, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by haivi View Post
You would want to upgrade to a 2-stage furnace. I am living in a Mattamy townhome right now, and the 1-stage furnace is very noisy.
Was it installed properly? The standard furnace I got has 5 speed settings. It was set up for max speed for A/C, medium speed for heat, low speed for circulation. I dont notice any noise at low speed. I can only hear air moving at maximum speed. Even if Im in the basement, it isnt very loud at all at maximum speed. Probably similar noise output as the water heater.