Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-07-05, 05:37 AM

Nice meeting you Phil. I'll keep this information for future reference.
Old 2019-07-09, 01:54 PM

Default Wet basement insulation

Hi Phil,
after some heavy rain, we've got basement water penetration in the brand new house. Builder has fixed it since then, but pink wall insulation is still wet. Builder said it will dry out. Basement is unfinished but I suspect it will develop mold, so question for you - should wet insulation be replaced by the builder or not? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190511-WA0018.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	14693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190510-WA0000.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	14694  

Last edited by lermar; 2019-07-09 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2019-07-15, 05:05 AM

It's good to have a site like this. I been learning a lot from the questions and answer.
Old 2019-07-15, 10:07 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lermar View Post
After some heavy rain, we've got basement water penetration in the brand new house. Builder has fixed it since then, but pink wall insulation is still wet. Builder said it will dry out. Basement is unfinished but I suspect it will develop mold, so question for you - should wet insulation be replaced by the builder or not? Thank you
The type of foundation repair look like epoxy injection, typically performed from the interior. Properly performed, this will prevent future water leaks.

Wet fibreglass insulation does not result in mold, unless there is a contaminant in the insulation or vapour barrier. So the risk of mold is minimal. My concern is that you are saying the insulation is wet. Is it possible that there is still a leak at this location in the foundation?

Just a note on indoor humidity: in muggy hot weather, indoor humidity can raise to a level where moisture condenses on the vapour barrier. The ideal indoor humidity is in the range of 50%. If you have a dehumidifier, I suggest that this should be plugged in, connected by a hose to a floor [or condensate] drain, and set to either 45 or 50%.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-07-31, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Hey Phil,

We just had another walk through on our home that is set to close August 14th. We are currently still missing one glass window pane at the front of the home (which is wide open) and our front home brick still has not been installed (brick runs from the ground up to the 2nd floor).

With these items missing, is it still possible to close on the home? I'm worried that they could say that it's still livable and have us move into an incomplete and unsealed home.
Old 2019-08-01, 08:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteSizeThumb View Post
Hey Phil,

We just had another walk through on our home that is set to close August 14th. We are currently still missing one glass window pane at the front of the home (which is wide open) and our front home brick still has not been installed (brick runs from the ground up to the 2nd floor).

With these items missing, is it still possible to close on the home? I'm worried that they could say that it's still livable and have us move into an incomplete and unsealed home.
Guaranteed they will install the missing window within the next 2 weeks as you cannot close without it.
Old 2019-08-02, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hey Phil,

On our current house they replaced the window the day of closing, so don't be surprised if it's last minute. That's pretty much par for the course from our experience in Ottawa.
Old 2019-08-06, 08:10 AM
Regular User

You say that the window glass is missing and that the window opening is wide open. At this stage of construction, there is no way that there is nothing in place at a window opening that would allow rain, insects, birds, etc. in. If not protected by glass, then a temporary method needs to be utilized such as plywood, plexiglass, etc.

Incomplete brickwork would not prevent the Occupancy Permit to be released.

Make sure both issues are brought up for discussion at the PDI.

The norm for residential construction is heroic last minute efforts to complete on time.

Old 2019-08-06, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
You say that the window glass is missing and that the window opening is wide open. At this stage of construction, there is no way that there is nothing in place at a window opening that would allow rain, insects, birds, etc. in. If not protected by glass, then a temporary method needs to be utilized such as plywood, plexiglass, etc.

Incomplete brickwork would not prevent the Occupancy Permit to be released.

Make sure both issues are brought up for discussion at the PDI.

The norm for residential construction is heroic last minute efforts to complete on time.
I can confirm that the window is still wide open and the whole interior house is exposed to exterior elements. There is no temporary method of covering the window, nor has there been one besides when they installed hardwood floors, they layed a plywood over the window frame for about 3 days which has now been removed. Still no glass has been installed.

I will definitely make sure issues are brought up during the PDI. Thank you again.
Old 2019-08-06, 08:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I can confirm that the window is still wide open and the whole interior house is exposed to exterior elements. There is no temporary method of covering the window, nor has there been one besides when they installed hardwood floors, they layed a plywood over the window frame for about 3 days which has now been removed. Still no glass has been installed.

I will definitely make sure issues are brought up during the PDI. Thank you again.
You should contact the builder ASAP and get assurance that the window opening is sealed. We had rain today, and will likely get more in the next 2 days.