Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Waterloo Region

Waterloo Region Kitchener, Cambridge, and Waterloo, and the townships of Wellesley, Woolwich, Wilmot, and North Dumfries.

Old 2008-09-23, 11:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartsexystylish View Post
Hi Fletcher,
They have not started our house yet. They should be pouring the foundation either this week or next =)
Yea, The whole one operating window per room came as a huge shock to us! It's like $170 each to get another operating window too! It really bothered me though as we upgraded in the living room to a Bow Window yet only one window out of the 5 will work :s

Another big surprise was the octagon boxes that needed to be purchased ($80 I think each) in each bathroom for the light fixtures. If you ever planned on changing the light bar that is standard, you would need to purchase this box (Mind you it's $2.00 @ Wal-Mart!!!) But the reasoning is that Mattamy hard wires the light into the wall so it would be difficult to remove and re-wire into another fixture. We had to buy 3!

For me another was that you had to buy a shower door ( if you upgraded the master ensuite) that is $200-$400 as it just comes with a shower rod!

For the upgraded stuff that you had mentioned I will check when I get home tonight as all the papers are at home. I think off the top of my head to tile the ceiling of the bathtub (which we got too!) was $160 - I'll double check though lol

As far as we know (and haven't been told otherwise) that we are on schedule. Crossing my fingers that we stay that way!!!

If you can think of any other upgraded items you'd like to know about, feel free to ask =)
wow....i did not know that there would be an additional charge for an octagon box. those are steep prices for the painting upgrades. i will probably end up painting the walls myself. i can see why you would be upset about paying an upgrade for the bay window and only get one operating window. hope your closing date does not change. we've waiting a long time to move. i still have over a year did you have to pay an upgrade for the door from the garage to the house? i hope that is standard. don't forget about the pricing for the berber, underpad and kitchen cabinets upgrades. thank you for sharing your information and perpectives
Old 2008-09-24, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Location: Brampton right now - Cambridge (Mill Pond) Next Feb =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Style View Post
Dion, I know for a fact that the model i purchased the Victoria charges 1,740 for the whole house or $1,249 for the ground floor and upper hall only! In this book of mine for the Hillcrest it states $1,273 for the whole house one optional colour and $1,035 for the main floor and upstairs hall! That is in one designer palette paint. if you want a additional paint colour it ranges from $177.00 to $266 per room!
You are right though quite pricey but I know for a fact that in some houses such as the one I currently own the upstairs hallway near stairs is really hard to paint! the white is basic and if people can afford to get it painted then its good! However I feel it is better to paint it yourself as it kind of distinguishes your identity and makes you truly call it Home! : ]

Yea, I couldn't remember the exact pricing, but the above prices were just wayyyy to expensive for us! The only thing like you (and the DC) mentioned the hallway near the stiars will be difficult.
Kevin and I wanted the great room one colour, the dining another, and so on and so on. The convenience factor of having it already done for you is super but I guess that is just one of the many things we're going to do before we move in!
Plus, I'm going to bribe certain family members to help out in excahnge for beer =) Can't go wrong with that (but only after they paint!! LOL)

Old 2008-09-24, 10:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
wow....i did not know that there would be an additional charge for an octagon box. those are steep prices for the painting upgrades. i will probably end up painting the walls myself. i can see why you would be upset about paying an upgrade for the bay window and only get one operating window. hope your closing date does not change. we've waiting a long time to move. i still have over a year did you have to pay an upgrade for the door from the garage to the house? i hope that is standard. don't forget about the pricing for the berber, underpad and kitchen cabinets upgrades. thank you for sharing your information and perpectives
Hey Fletcher,
The additional charge for the octagon came as shock to us too, as we just assumed we can remove the hideous light bar and replace it with something pretty but nope!

The door to the garage was included for us but we were warned that it is only if the grade permits (and only in the rare instance does it not permit). What I have read on other forums was that it was an upgrade for X amount. I would hate to have to pay for it as it would be something I would really want. So I was happy to see it's free =)

What rooms were you looking to upgrade the berber and underpad to? The pricing is on a per room basis so as soon as you let me know, I can let you know pricing. Kevin and I upgraded the underpad on the stairs, upper hallway, master bedroom and b#2 (The one with the gorgeous windows in the front - can't remmeber if that was b#2 or #3) We didn't upgrade the other one as we plan on ripping out the carpet and put hardwood or laminite as we're going to make that one into our office. I highly recomment upgrading the underpad in at least the stairs and upper hall as I hear those are the first places that it will wear down quickly (high traffic areas) We didn't get berber carpets because my puppy's nails would rip it up!

And I'll have the other pricing as soon as I locate where Kevin put the upgrade book tonight =)

Old 2008-09-28, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartsexystylish View Post
Hey Fletcher,
The additional charge for the octagon came as shock to us too, as we just assumed we can remove the hideous light bar and replace it with something pretty but nope!

The door to the garage was included for us but we were warned that it is only if the grade permits (and only in the rare instance does it not permit). What I have read on other forums was that it was an upgrade for X amount. I would hate to have to pay for it as it would be something I would really want. So I was happy to see it's free =)

What rooms were you looking to upgrade the berber and underpad to? The pricing is on a per room basis so as soon as you let me know, I can let you know pricing. Kevin and I upgraded the underpad on the stairs, upper hallway, master bedroom and b#2 (The one with the gorgeous windows in the front - can't remmeber if that was b#2 or #3) We didn't upgrade the other one as we plan on ripping out the carpet and put hardwood or laminite as we're going to make that one into our office. I highly recomment upgrading the underpad in at least the stairs and upper hall as I hear those are the first places that it will wear down quickly (high traffic areas) We didn't get berber carpets because my puppy's nails would rip it up!

And I'll have the other pricing as soon as I locate where Kevin put the upgrade book tonight =)
I am looking to upgrade the upstairs ans stairs to berber carpet. I plan to rip out the std carpet on the main floor and replace with engineered hardwood flooring. Also, I plan to upgrade the underpad on the stairs, hallway and master bedroom. One more thing, do you plan to widen your driveway? I want to learn what others are doing to widen their single car driveway to fit 2 cars side by side.
Old 2008-09-28, 09:20 PM
Regular User

yeah fletcher It will be hard to upgrade to a 2 car driveway but we are gonna use every bit of the extra two feet on one side to our property line! I know after we extend we will have 12 feet width on the driveway so I will have to put two cars side by side as the sidewalk comes into play for me!
Hard to believe the parking space you get but We MUSt extend our driveway!
You will get a better idea how much space you hav eto work with, when you get a survey of your lot! I asked for mine from the builder and they gave me a preliminary copy outlining dimensions for driveway,backyard and space between houses!
Berber is nice but it is expensive through the builder
Old 2008-09-28, 11:56 PM
Regular User

hey style, yes, i will have to widen the driveway as well. i have a sidewalk on my side of the road. how do you plan to widen your driveway since Mattamy paves a single car driveway with asphalt? that's a good idea to ask for a preliminary survey. i'm surprised they could offer a preliminary survey since, i have a lookout lot with larger windows and they cannot offer a revised basement plan since the windows will need to be moved. if the berber carpet is too expensive, i may go with std and replace with berber on my own if the cost is cheaper.
Old 2008-09-30, 11:34 AM
Regular User

Hey Fletcher,
I haven't forgot about your pricing! It seems like I have misplaced the whole design guide we received. I have been searching for it for the past couple days at Kevin's house and I haven't been able to locate. I'm going to check to see if I left it at my cottag when I go up there this weekend.

Sorry to keep you hanging!

Old 2008-10-03, 03:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymaeby View Post
Hi

Just thought I'd mention - you can buy 'retrofit' octagon boxes at Home Depot that are relatively easy to install. I think they cost $8. We bought them to replace the awful builder track lighting when reno-ing my mom's place. It is sure a lot cheaper than what Mattamy was asking and we are now able to hang nice fixtures in the bathroom.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Babymaeby,

Was the lights hard wired into the wall?
Mattamy told us that they hard wire that bar of lighting crap and thats why we had to purchase those boxes. I saw them at Wal-Mart for like $2 or $4 and I wasn't a happy camper about paying over 10 times that amount!

Old 2008-10-05, 08:10 PM
Regular User

i was at the site today and was able to walk thru 2 hillcrests that have been framed. it was so exciting.

i was looking at upgrades on the cabinets. i liked the cabinets in series 3 or 4 with aya. does anyone know the cost for this upgrade in the hillcrest?
Old 2008-10-05, 09:28 PM
Regular User

I dunno for sure about the Hillcrest but I purchased the Victoria and the first upgrade cost is 1,087 and the second would be $2,281! Those were Canac prices so they would be similar I suppose but cabinets can go right up to $4000 easily! There arent many nice dark colours in the standard Aya line! I have my design appointment tomorrow so I will see what the costa are?