Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-10, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Default SCald Guard- Cold Water Mixer at Hot Water Tank

I just moved into my new house and complained to the builder about the lack of "hot" water, the most I could get was around 100F, I jacked up the HWT temp to maximum and still water was not hot enough to my liking (I like a hot shower)

When the service guy came, he showed me why: They now install a mixing valve directly on top of the Hot water tank that is designed to prevent water temps over about 100F to prevent scalding injuries... WTF? And this can't be remove (legally anyway).

Anybody else have this, this is supposedly in the local building code according to my builder.
Old 2009-06-10, 09:55 AM
Regular User

Yes. You can ask them to adjust the mixing valve for you. It is code now (it is meant to protect kids against burns). For people like me who like hot showers, it sucks.
Old 2009-06-10, 10:09 AM
Regular User

We had the same or similar issue with a new tartan condo we're renting. They tried giving us the BS of the maximum temperature was set but luckily we had a really nice/smart Harding person tell us it wasn't normal and told us to get Reliance to replace the thermostat as it wasn't reading properly. He changed the mixing valve just in case but knew it wasn't that. I could be mixing up the crew but we had to deal with one before the other and then the other replaced the thermostat. We now have hot showers.
Old 2009-06-10, 10:14 AM
Regular User

If you know a plumber ask them to remove it for you. Then just re-install it before you move. I wouldn't know from experience....
Old 2009-06-10, 10:24 AM
Regular User

I'd say adjust the mixing valve rather then remove it, and here's why.

if you remove, and set the tank to 150f. then the MAXIMUM amount of hot water you have, is what is in the tank (so lets say 65 gallons).

If you leave it on, you can set the tank to 160f (for example), as the water come out of the tank cold water will get added to bring it down to 150f and instead of getting 65 gallons of water at 150, you'll get the amount in the tank, plus the cold water needed to drop the temp the needed 10 degrees, which will be closer to 75 gallons.
Old 2009-06-10, 12:45 PM
Regular User

I am having this issue right now. Had harding in and claimed the ASV was the reason for lack of hot water and that the cold was mixng with the hot. Just had the plumber here today and took a shower and still seems to take forever to have any hot water. Might have to look into the thermostat thing next if I don't see a big difference. With a new born we are always using the hot water to heat up bottles and let me tell you that at 2 am with a screaming baby and no hot water, you get pretty pissed really fast!
Old 2009-06-10, 12:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
I am having this issue right now. Had harding in and claimed the ASV was the reason for lack of hot water and that the cold was mixng with the hot. Just had the plumber here today and took a shower and still seems to take forever to have any hot water. Might have to look into the thermostat thing next if I don't see a big difference. With a new born we are always using the hot water to heat up bottles and let me tell you that at 2 am with a screaming baby and no hot water, you get pretty pissed really fast!
Oh My! I can imagine! If you're going through what we went through, you must be waiting quite a bit to get hot water. I know we were running the shower for a good 7-10 mins before it would get warm enough to shower and even then, it was a pretty cold shower.
Old 2009-06-10, 01:01 PM
Regular User

When we moved in, this was an issue to us. No hot water at all. The builder supervisor came and decided to change the guard and adjusted it to have good hot water.
Old 2009-06-10, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Its sad that builders are still not taking the time to educate home owners on there hvac gear and specifically how your hot water works..

Ill try to shed some light on things. (i service rental water heaters)

-The anti scalding vavles max out at 120F Code is 120F max domestic water
-You can get mixing vavles that offer the same type of protection but with higher output temperatures. The key here is u flush the toilet and you wont feel a temp change only a pressure change.

This whole 120F code thing forced many water heater makers to limit peak temp and set there stats at a defualt temp of 120F. Problem is 120F on a tank is rarely 120
F the thermostats are not very accurate and do have 10-15 differentials. This 120F setting came before building codes asked for 120F from a antiscald vavle wich are very accurate.

Anyway here is how your system should be set up:
-tank set at 140F or higher(this allows a 10+/-F factor if nessary)
-anti scald vavle should be set at max. wich is 120F alot of times the knob is in the locked possition and you will have to remove a set screw and re install the knob to allow adjusting. Again something the builder should be showing you.
-The anti scalding valve is your home thermostat there is no need to play with the tanks thermostat once its set.
-a direct hot line unmixed should get piped to your dishwasher, many require 140F

Time it takes to get hot water: Dont mater if you have 100F or 200F it takes time to move water 50-60+ft though 3/4" copper. The time it takes in the morning is longest because everything in the pipes i cold. If it takes 2 minutes then thats what it takes, no temp settings on your mixing vavle or tank will speed up the water getting to your taps.

If you want to verify your mixing valve is working take a temp on the hot inlet side and the hot outlet side. You should have about 140-150F inlet depending on where the tank is set and 120F on the outlet. If your getting less then 120F turn it up, if still not 120 then have the mixing vavle replaced. they do break down and i have changed many of them.
Old 2009-06-10, 02:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG26 View Post
-a direct hot line unmixed should get piped to your dishwasher, many require 140F
Thanks for your valuable information.

My dishwasher is connected to the standard hot line that goes to the kitchen sink. Is this a code issue?

I noticed that my dishwasher gives me a message HO, which means that it is not receiving a hotwater and takes a longer time to heat the water before finishing the work.