Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2012-08-13, 10:13 PM
Regular User

Default what makes an invoice legit?

Please tell me if I'm missing something here.

I had a fence installed by a fencing contractor and he came today to collect. He hands me what appears to be a form he uses to quote out jobs. The form includes his company name letter head on top, some customer details (name, address, etc), description of the fence installed, a sub total amount, HST, and total amount. What's missing is an invoice# and GST #.

He tells me if I pay cash he won't charge me HST. Since I plan to expense the fence at the end of the year I asked him for an official invoice and I'll give him a cheque for the full amount. He says, that is his invoice. When I challenged him and said this is not a real invoice and pointed out there is no invoice # or GST # he said, he'll write his GST # on the paper but I need to pay the HST. Otherwise I have to make the cheque out to "Cash" and he wouldn't give me his GST#.

Am I missing something?

So if he writes his GST # on the paper, but doesn't have any invoice #'s (ie, no paper trail) what's to say he still doesn't put the job through his business? Or is it the fact that I make the cheque payable to his company is what dictates it must go through the business?

Are there any requirements for what constitutes a proper invoice for tax purposes?

At the end of the day, I'm still submitting it as an expense but if the CRA wants paperwork, I'm submitting what he provided me.
Old 2012-08-13, 10:53 PM
Administrator

GST numbers became HST numbers when the change over happened. However, I'm guessing he doesn't have one.

You can validate a GST/HST number online using the CRAs website:

https://www.businessregistration-ins...istryPrompt.do

You do need to be exact with the company name.

From the FAQs on CRAs site:

13. What if my supplier does not provide an invoice?
If your supplier is registered for GST/HST, the GST/HST paid or payable on purchases of taxable goods and services must be shown on a cash register receipt, invoice, contract, or other record. The supplier may post a sign at their place of business to show they are registered for GST/HST.

14. When is the GST/HST account number required to be provided?
The GST/HST account number (also referred to as a Business Number or registration number) must be included on receipts, invoices, contracts, or other business papers used when taxable goods or services of $30 or more are supplied by a person registered for GST/HST. If you are unable to locate the GST/HST account number, contact your supplier.

15. What if my supplier does not provide their GST/HST account number?
When your supplier does not provide their GST/HST account number contact us by calling the CRA Business Enquiries phone number at 1-800-959-5525 to confirm if your supplier is registered for GST/HST purposes.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-08-13, 10:59 PM
Regular User

Let me take a wild guess: Chris Construction, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
Please tell me if I'm missing something here.

I had a fence installed by a fencing contractor and he came today to collect. He hands me what appears to be a form he uses to quote out jobs. The form includes his company name letter head on top, some customer details (name, address, etc), description of the fence installed, a sub total amount, HST, and total amount. What's missing is an invoice# and GST #.

He tells me if I pay cash he won't charge me HST. Since I plan to expense the fence at the end of the year I asked him for an official invoice and I'll give him a cheque for the full amount. He says, that is his invoice. When I challenged him and said this is not a real invoice and pointed out there is no invoice # or GST # he said, he'll write his GST # on the paper but I need to pay the HST. Otherwise I have to make the cheque out to "Cash" and he wouldn't give me his GST#.

Am I missing something?

So if he writes his GST # on the paper, but doesn't have any invoice #'s (ie, no paper trail) what's to say he still doesn't put the job through his business? Or is it the fact that I make the cheque payable to his company is what dictates it must go through the business?

Are there any requirements for what constitutes a proper invoice for tax purposes?

At the end of the day, I'm still submitting it as an expense but if the CRA wants paperwork, I'm submitting what he provided me.
Old 2012-08-14, 08:19 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_D_G View Post
Let me take a wild guess: Chris Construction, right?
No, wasn't Chris Construction.

I wasn't satisfied it was a valid invoice so told him I wouldn't pay the HST unless he provided one. So made the cheque out to cash. What he does is not my issue. I don't really need his GST/HST number anyhow.
Old 2012-08-15, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark & Lynda View Post
I don't really need his GST/HST number anyhow.
If you are expensing it through a company, then you need to know the HST portion paid as this can reduce the amount of HST you need to remit.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-08-15, 12:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
If you are expensing it through a company, then you need to know the HST portion paid as this can reduce the amount of HST you need to remit.
It's being expensed on personal taxes as part of rental property expenses so I should be OK. Never had to get HST #s in the past.