Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2018-07-25, 11:08 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskm View Post
I don't remember the exact numbers, but yeah it's about $5k total. Was a shock for sure when my lawyer sent me the number for my closing costs!

My question is - what are most people doing now - are you including the property tax payment with your mortgage still, or did you get it removed?
Is it 5k all together with everything? or did you mean 5k on top of the all title search fee, lawyer fee, and etc...

so what if the 5k was more than enough for the tax of 2019 do we get the remaining back? lol
Old 2018-07-25, 11:14 AM
Regular User

It's closing day! (for some of us).

Hopefully everyone got everything done without many issues.
Old 2018-07-25, 11:17 AM
Regular User

$5k just for the property taxes portion - so on top of everything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCloudZero View Post
Is it 5k all together with everything? or did you mean 5k on top of the all title search fee, lawyer fee, and etc...

so what if the 5k was more than enough for the tax of 2019 do we get the remaining back? lol
Old 2018-07-25, 11:18 AM
Regular User

Woo! Let's hope... & congrats to those of us (finally) closing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoofle View Post

Last edited by kriskm; 2018-07-25 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2018-07-25, 01:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Lol lots of problems since such short notice bank didn't have mortgage instructions ready. Lawyer and mortgage guy has been on vacation. Even though the letter said 25 or 26 it has to be today apparently. A very stressful last few days
Old 2018-07-26, 10:22 AM

Default PDI - things to look out for

New to the forum...well, new to posting.
Purchased an Urban Town in Feb 2016, occupancy closing August 15th, PDI July 31st
Just wondering if there's anything specific that anyone here would recommend looking out for during the PDI specific to this builder (As some are known for cutting corners in certain areas)
Old 2018-07-26, 10:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskm View Post
I don't remember the exact numbers, but yeah it's about $5k total. Was a shock for sure when my lawyer sent me the number for my closing costs!

My question is - what are most people doing now - are you including the property tax payment with your mortgage still, or did you get it removed?

Also had a huge sticker shock when the closing cost amount came in (even more so due to the fact that the builder included HST thereby tripling the amount - got this rectified however with an updated statement of adjustments - phew!!)

To answer your question - we are requesting the tax amount be excluded from the mortgage payment and handling separately.
Old 2018-07-26, 11:15 AM
Regular User

Paid taxes separate.....the interest on that would be insane
Old 2018-07-26, 02:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds83 View Post
New to the forum...well, new to posting.
Purchased an Urban Town in Feb 2016, occupancy closing August 15th, PDI July 31st
Just wondering if there's anything specific that anyone here would recommend looking out for during the PDI specific to this builder (As some are known for cutting corners in certain areas)
Bring something with you to plug into all the outlets and check to see if every single socket is working. For us, I think atleast 6+ electrical outlets were not working.

Also check beneath the kitchen counters and bathroom counters (that little long rectangular piece of wood between the floor and the cabinet doors). If I didn't get down on my knees to check, we wouldn't have noticed that the pieces of wood were EXTREMELY warped and beaten up.
Old 2018-07-27, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Bring something with you to plug into all the outlets and check to see if every single socket is working. For us, I think atleast 6+ electrical outlets were not working.

Also check beneath the kitchen counters and bathroom counters (that little long rectangular piece of wood between the floor and the cabinet doors). If I didn't get down on my knees to check, we wouldn't have noticed that the pieces of wood were EXTREMELY warped and beaten up.
Thank you!