Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2007-12-12, 05:30 PM
Regular User

Default Electrical wiring

Is anyone else experiencing a lot of electrical issues? The reason for inquiring is that we seem to be having a lot of issues with the wiring and labeling of the breaker panels panels - (I.e. A lot of our sockets did not work when we moved in and some of the breakers were very loose which would result in tripping them off fairly frequently). Sun Dial did address these issues fairly quickly but now we are finding even more issues (I.e. the Main floor light switch which is suppose to control the upstairs toilet fan, is actually hooked up to the light switch, and I beleive, it is because the wiring is reversed between the main toilet fan and the light switch). Our Alarm technician was blown away with how poorly they ran the contacts (the ones that were actually connected) and no labeling of any of the zones on the panels and forwarding him the wrong information for the zoning. Our Breaker Panel did not indicate some of the major appliances and some of them were actually mislabeled. Our central Vacumn wiring did not work at all on any of the units (actually fell off on one of them when I lifted the socket cover and they all had looped wires).

I have just bought a light for the dining room and I am seriously hoping that at least one current the switches will work, as there are currently no switches that are not connected to some other light (I have a feeling that I will need to install a dimmer switch best case scenerio),

Hoping that this may help anyone else doing there PDI.

Last edited by DB_SL; 2007-12-12 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2007-12-12, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Regarding the security wiring, they never get labelled unless it's the same company coming back to install a system. Much of that is a cost issue.. when builders are pressuring trades to reduce their prices, the trades have to do things differently.

Not sure what you mean by connected contacts. If it's just roughed in then the wires will be there and it's up to your alarm installer to connect them up.

Did you order the central vac from the builder?
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-12-12, 10:16 PM
Regular User

Apparently it was the same company that installed the alarm. What I mean when I say that the contacts were not connected, is that 2 of the windows and the patio door had the alarm wires exposed (loose or open ended without being connected to anything). Also when the site Super came to see the breaker box he actually made the comment to the electrician who was working on the box (in front of my wife) "this passed inspection?". I know that little things can and will go wrong, but there seems to be than more usual with the electricals in our case (however we did push them to move up the closing date).

As far as the Vacumn goes, no we did not go through the builder, and if it is the norm for the pipes to be installed in this way by the builder (roughed in but not interconnected) then I guess I don't really have a valid reason to complain (I will attribute it to my ignorance on this particular subject). I would recommend that unless you know what your doing, to spend the money and hire a professional as it will definetely be money well spent. Again the only issue I have with vacumn installation by the builder is pertaining to the poor job done on the wiring, as all of their wiring into the sockets were not properly secured into any of the screws and were all looped.

Last edited by DB_SL; 2007-12-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 2007-12-12, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_SL View Post
What I mean when I say that the contacts were not connected, is that 2 of the windows and the patio door had the alarm wires exposed (loose or open ended without being connected to anything).
Yup. That's the way new houses are roughed-in. They would have contacts put in place by whichever alarm installer you go with post-closing.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-12-13, 08:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_SL View Post
Is anyone else experiencing a lot of electrical issues? The reason for inquiring is that we seem to be having a lot of issues with the wiring and labeling of the breaker panels panels - (I.e. A lot of our sockets did not work when we moved in and some of the breakers were very loose which would result in tripping them off fairly frequently). Sun Dial did address these issues fairly quickly but now we are finding even more issues (I.e. the Main floor light switch which is suppose to control the upstairs toilet fan, is actually hooked up to the light switch, and I beleive, it is because the wiring is reversed between the main toilet fan and the light switch). Our Alarm technician was blown away with how poorly they ran the contacts (the ones that were actually connected) and no labeling of any of the zones on the panels and forwarding him the wrong information for the zoning. Our Breaker Panel did not indicate some of the major appliances and some of them were actually mislabeled. Our central Vacumn wiring did not work at all on any of the units (actually fell off on one of them when I lifted the socket cover and they all had looped wires).

I have just bought a light for the dining room and I am seriously hoping that at least one current the switches will work, as there are currently no switches that are not connected to some other light (I have a feeling that I will need to install a dimmer switch best case scenerio),

Hoping that this may help anyone else doing there PDI.
The only issue we have had is that some of the labeling on the panel is mixed up. We tested all of our outlets with an outlet tester during our PDI, as well as all light switches and fan switches (including the 3-way one in the dining room) and they worked without any problems. We have since replaced all of our switches with Decora switches and all but one or two of our light fixtures , again, without any problems. We haven't installed central vac or an alarm, so I can't comment on that wiring...
Old 2007-12-13, 05:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregS View Post
Yup. That's the way new houses are roughed-in. They would have contacts put in place by whichever alarm installer you go with post-closing.
Good to know and thanks for the feedback!