Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-09-27, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2011 View Post
There are a lot of broken windows, not sure if it's the installers or other trades who are breaking the windows. While driving around the past couple of weekends, I have seen several people taking 2x4's and full sheets of plywood! I'm surprised more of the building materials aren't locked up. I guess the builder just expects to lose a certain % of material and they pass on the price to us; the lucky buyers!!
You can thank the local kids for most if not all of the broken windows. The good news is the trouble makers normally stay away once the street is complete.
Old 2010-09-28, 10:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
Ya....I was a little concerned about the MDF too - especially with small children since you can't easily repair them if they chip. In the end - I really wanted the painted cabintets - so I went with them - but did wood in the bathrooms just to be safe
Thanks! It's good to know I'm not the only one who's choosing beauty over practicality
Old 2010-10-04, 12:21 PM
Regular User

Hi everyone,

For those who bought a Berkshire, is there any tips or advice for us? We are planning on getting one but doing a lot of the upgrades later, but is there things that is worth doing now?

i.e is the bump out in the great room a must? How much is it to extend the kitchen island?

We just want to have a ballpark estimate on how much we need to save for.

Thanks all!

Oh, does anyone know Chelsea's email address at the sales Centre?

Last edited by Samsonites; 2010-10-04 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2010-10-04, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Question

Re: WINDOWS

I was wondering if anyone knows why the windows on the Cardel homes do not appear to be the same style. I'm not talking about the grills/no grills but rather the fact that some windows have a thick frame/sash while other windows have a very thin frame. For example, the small square windows on the model home being built have a thick frame, but the same windows on other berkshires being built have a thin frame. Does the builder give you an option when you sign your agreeement? On another home, I noticed what I think is a den or dining room with 2 (same-size) windows: 1 window has a thick frame and the other windows has a thin frame...??

Also, I thought I read in the spec sheet that Cardel uses Jeld-wen windows, but the windows all have the sticker of another brand...
Old 2010-10-04, 07:33 PM
Regular User

Anyone closing in Jan/Feb get their official notice of delay yet? I have heard that there are delays but have yet to receive anything in writing.
Old 2010-10-04, 08:34 PM
Regular User

Hey Samsonite, definitely do some of the structural stuff because you can't do that later, and yes I think the great room extension is worth it (the standard 12 feet isn't that big of a room). To get an idea of that kind of stuff, ask to go on a quick tour of teh model that they're building, they usually do all of teh structural stuff, so you can get an idea of what it looks like. As for extending the island, it really depends on what kind of countertop you go with, if you do the standard, it's less than 100 bucks to go from 30" depth to 42" depth.

Beancounter-Maybe the different windows are due to all of the broken windows, maybe they messed up with a different supplier to replace the broken ones.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:28 AM
Regular User

Not yet... Apparently they have to notify us by the 13th of October in our case, so it's probably close to the same date for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamnShum View Post
Anyone closing in Jan/Feb get their official notice of delay yet? I have heard that there are delays but have yet to receive anything in writing.
Old 2010-10-05, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Not yet... Apparently they have to notify us by the 13th of October in our case, so it's probably close to the same date for you...
Ours is supposed to be October 15th. I am praying that we don't get one but from what I hear it's almost certain we will.
Old 2010-10-05, 10:19 AM
Regular User

Ughh... I know it's like they are delaying the inevitable!! There's a ton of progress out there, so maybe they're catching up... Wishful thinking... haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamnShum View Post
Ours is supposed to be October 15th. I am praying that we don't get one but from what I hear it's almost certain we will.
Old 2010-10-05, 11:36 AM
Regular User

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what cardel gives us in terms of flooring in the front foyer area (once you step in the front door)? Is it ceramic? And is it standard carpet in the hallways?

Also, I know they provide ceramic in the kitchen and nook as standard ... but if we chose to do hardwood on the entire first floor, do we get a credit for the ceramic that we can put towards hardwood? For those of you who have been through this process already in the design centre, how does the price of ceramic compare to the price of hardwood (same level)?

Thanks