Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-01-06, 03:20 PM
Regular User

When I was there on Tuesday night they were still working on the house and said it wasn't open for viewing yet.
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-07, 11:13 AM
Regular User

Default delays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGo View Post
Hey, just wondering if anyone else got their close date moved up? They called us today and changed the closing from start of April to end of May....almost 2 months. Really sucks, but I'm glad they told me now and not when my house is already sold. I was really looking forward to it...the new closing date they gave me is on my birthday though, that would make a cool present!
I know you are anxious, but a delay now is better than a rushed product. 3 month prior, we got a note to move the close from early Jan to end of Jan. Guess what? We had our PDI just before the holidays. They could have met the initial close date, but now we're not ready. That is all fine, because, the issues raised at PDI (minor), they will probably be all fixed before we move in. That just means less rush, they can spend more time fixing and perfecting, and I don't have to stay home to open my house to various contractors. As well, they can't do stucco before spring anyways, so you may end up at your new close date with a COMPLETE product (well, minus the asphalt & sod of course!)

So far, so good.... everything is BETTER than expected.
Old 2011-01-07, 01:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanne View Post
I know you are anxious, but a delay now is better than a rushed product. 3 month prior, we got a note to move the close from early Jan to end of Jan. Guess what? We had our PDI just before the holidays. They could have met the initial close date, but now we're not ready. That is all fine, because, the issues raised at PDI (minor), they will probably be all fixed before we move in. That just means less rush, they can spend more time fixing and perfecting, and I don't have to stay home to open my house to various contractors. As well, they can't do stucco before spring anyways, so you may end up at your new close date with a COMPLETE product (well, minus the asphalt & sod of course!)

So far, so good.... everything is BETTER than expected.
Good to hear you get to choose if you want to move in earlier or not! We are in the same situation, we were supposed to be early January, but got pushed to early February. I get the feeling we will get the call saying they are ready early, but i'm not sure we are ready... Good to know you have options, although it makes sense. We were annoyed to be pushed back initially, but now we're happy with it, and are planning on it!
Old 2011-01-07, 02:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Good to hear you get to choose if you want to move in earlier or not! We are in the same situation, we were supposed to be early January, but got pushed to early February. I get the feeling we will get the call saying they are ready early, but i'm not sure we are ready... Good to know you have options, although it makes sense. We were annoyed to be pushed back initially, but now we're happy with it, and are planning on it!
They did not offer the choice, but I am sure if we would have asked, or had been in a situation without a home, they could have changed it - if the house is sitting empty, it just costs them more. They showed us they basically were short on ONE very simple item for the pass on the occupancy permit. They would have make this adjustment if we were moving in right away, but since we weren't, they did not fix it in time for that city inspection.

Anyways if they are early, just let them fix it up for you on their own time - don't rush. See you in a couple of months...
Old 2011-01-08, 05:19 PM
Regular User

Default Berkshire Model Home is Open!

Just opened today and looks pretty nice
Old 2011-01-10, 03:00 PM
Regular User

The model looks pretty badass. Loving the layout of the Berkshire. Most of it's sq. ft. is located in the entertainment/living areas which is where I want it.

The bedrooms are not huge - but the layout is efficient.

Glad I went for the extended great room - can't imagine that room 2 ft smaller.
Old 2011-01-10, 05:53 PM
Regular User

The model is very nice! Can really see the size difference between our Devonshire, especially with the extended great room. Very nice layout, doesn't hurt that they put some nice upgrades!! Wonder how much that one will sell for in a few months!?
Old 2011-01-10, 06:44 PM
Regular User

Definitely nice to see that thing finished, now we can really get a better idea about decorating our Berkshire. It's nice to be able to go there and measure stuff to narrow down our search. That nook space is just so big, we don't really want to do 2 big rectangle tables pretty much right beside each other, we're thinking acout a giant round table in the nook (we have a 56" table ordered), but we just don't know.

The only other problem is second guessing our design centre choices, but other than wanting to change around some of our lighting (i.e. that really funny looking light they have in the front entry to light up the stairway landing, we did a potlight there, but I think even that will look out of place) and wishing we put a door on the walk-in closet in the master bedroom, we're pretty happy.
Old 2011-01-10, 10:58 PM
Regular User

Does anyone know what the cost is for the 4" gap between the ceiling stipple and the walls. Heard that is an upgrade with Cardel (unless I am wrong).

Trying to get everything figured out
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-10, 11:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Does anyone know what the cost is for the 4" gap between the ceiling stipple and the walls. Heard that is an upgrade with Cardel (unless I am wrong).

Trying to get everything figured out
We were quoted $572. It depends on how much ceiling area your model has.