Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-01-11, 06:57 AM
Regular User

geez thats a lot of money to scrape off some wet stipple with a trowel
Old 2011-01-11, 07:08 AM
Regular User

This was by far the most annoying upgrade, I don't know how this isn't standard (maybe it's a Calgary thing)? None of the Cardel model homes have this upgrade, and I personally think it looks funny. I think it was a little less than 572 for us, but was still an annoying must do for us.
Old 2011-01-11, 08:00 AM
Regular User

It is a lil crazy for it when most builders do it standard now. Just something else to add to the list.

Thanks for the info.
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-11, 08:07 AM
Regular User

one thought would be to leave the ceiling as is and put in crown after possession

much better investment imo
Old 2011-01-11, 10:24 AM
Regular User

See I think it is easier with the gap - especially for painting and even mouldings after the faxt.

Crown is going in after we move - we are even considering doing all the hardwood floors ourself once we take possession (depending what the cost is going to be to have our first floor coverted from tile and carpet to hardwood). The advantage of being able do stuff and having the tools to do it.
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-11, 11:26 AM
Regular User

personal preference but I don't like the 1 inch smooth stripe on the ceiling in front of the crown that results
Old 2011-01-11, 12:22 PM
Regular User

You may have a point at that - never seen it with the crown up. Great - more crap to think about.

Will send the wife on a photo hunt on google
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-11, 01:05 PM
Regular User

The ceiling border is hardly noticeable in either case - so not a big deal for me.

Anyone happen to see the new models? What do you guys think of them? i.e. North Hampton. Interesting exteriors and nice layouts.

I suppose they introduced new models for the width differential of the new lots?
Old 2011-01-11, 01:11 PM
Regular User

The new model home is nice. Was there this past weekend to take a look.

We are actually buying the North Hampton. Personally over all the floor plans it's the one we like the most. We are making a number of structural changes to it. We had to wait over 2 weeks for all the pricing to come out.

The best thing I find for the North Hampron is the bonus room with all the windows. Until such time as the basement is done it will be my daughters play room.

What I do not like about it is that from the foyer all the way to the nook and kitchen are all in ceramic tile. I'm dreading the amount it going to cost me to change it all to hardwood (but if it is too much will simply do the hardwood install when I move and have them put carpet instead - never seen a house where the majority of the 1st floor was tile)
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-01-11, 02:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The new model home is nice. Was there this past weekend to take a look.

We are actually buying the North Hampton. Personally over all the floor plans it's the one we like the most. We are making a number of structural changes to it. We had to wait over 2 weeks for all the pricing to come out.

The best thing I find for the North Hampron is the bonus room with all the windows. Until such time as the basement is done it will be my daughters play room.

What I do not like about it is that from the foyer all the way to the nook and kitchen are all in ceramic tile. I'm dreading the amount it going to cost me to change it all to hardwood (but if it is too much will simply do the hardwood install when I move and have them put carpet instead - never seen a house where the majority of the 1st floor was tile)
I'm curious, but what model is the North Hamton? I can't seem to see a layout for this model on the website and I've never heard of it before!