Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-02-10, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Just a quick question - when you met with Myra at Deslaurier - how long did it take for you to get the .pdf that she sends with all your selections by email???
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-02-10, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Mine took about 2 weeks after the 1st appointment. The second appointment we went through everything and made a few changes then she updated it and gave us a signed copy befor we left. Not sure if it is the norm to only do 2 appointments, but thats all we did.
Old 2011-02-10, 10:46 AM
Regular User

Seems to be the norm - pick at the first one and finalize at the last one. We had our first one last week and our second one is scheduled for the begining of March. Still trying to pick the bathroom tiles to make sure everything looks good
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-02-10, 06:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper View Post
I have my Orbital appt this week and figured I will put a vac pan in the kitchen and one in the mudroom. Any suggestions as to any other spot?
Just wondering what you ended up doing and the cost if you mind shopping. Once the wife saw your post she decided that she wanted a central vac system so looking at this as well
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-02-10, 06:48 PM
Regular User

Wow! A 2 month delay! Did they give a reason why? I thought they were getting caught up from the delays as a result of not having electricity in the neighbourhood. Now I'm worried about our August closing date ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky View Post
Well, we got the dreaded delay phone call and e-mail today, we're delayed from May 12 to July 14, but were told that the July date is the worst case scenario and that it will likely be ready sometime in June.

On the bright side though, we sold our current house tonight for roughly 98% of what we were asking (and the sale was completely private on Grapevine, so no pesky agent's commission), and the buyers are fine with a June or July closing, so call me even steven for the day, a little bad news, a little good news.
Old 2011-02-10, 07:11 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Just wondering what you ended up doing and the cost if you mind shopping. Once the wife saw your post she decided that she wanted a central vac system so looking at this as well
We ended up locating the Central Vac in the garage vice the basement. I thought about having a vac pan in the mudroom for a while and opted not to. With our layout I would have to go to the broom closet to get a broom to then go sweep the mudroom into the vac pan. I figured that it is just as easy to grab the vac out of the broom closet and suck it up. There was also issues from where I wanted it, it would have to go through the exterior wall to my garage. The Orbital guy recommended not to do it. The "rough in" central vac is just that rough, they end up $150 you to death, to have it hook up ready, move from basement to garage, Vac pan ($165), the TV cables seem to be the same thing but $95 for each outlet. We haven't got the quote back yet but the whole thing ended up about 1K, not the funnest part of this experience so far IMO.
Old 2011-02-10, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktulips View Post
Wow! A 2 month delay! Did they give a reason why? I thought they were getting caught up from the delays as a result of not having electricity in the neighbourhood. Now I'm worried about our August closing date ...
Well, the only reason they gave was that they are slightly behind schedule and want to officially delay it to be safe. If they don't inform you 3 months prior to the scheduled closing and then it gets delayed, they owe compensation under Tarion rules. they said that we'll lilely be able to close sooner though, and if the possibility of closing earlier exists, we will have the option of closing earlier of waiting until our new scheduled closing date.

I guess it's not too bad getting delayed, I've heard of other builders just getting the house up to code and closing, and then finishing all the little stuff after you take possession. At least this way they're committing to having the house finished prior to possession.
Old 2011-02-11, 12:29 AM
Regular User

Yikes! We were thinking about getting ready to put our house up for sale soon, but maybe we'll wait until three months before our closing date, to see if we get a delay notice. That will be cutting it kind of close, but I wouldn't want to have to move twice, if we sell our house and can't move in to our devonshire. Dunky - did your call/email come directly from Cardel or through your lawyer?
Old 2011-02-11, 07:15 AM
Regular User

It was actually a nice experience, Harley gave me a call to tell me apologized profusely for the delay, then he expplained everything to me and gave me the opportunity to ask questions about it. After the call they sent an e-mail to 3 or 4 e-mail addresses they had on file for me (I.e. Personal, work, lawyer, etc) just to make it official. All in all in was a decent way to deliver bad news ( and the news really did suck).

Depending on your house, how you plan sell it, and your expected closing date, putting it on the market 3 months before closing is more than enough time. We put ours up 3.5 months before our expected closing and I think it was too soon, but luckily our buyer turned out to be very flexible with their closing.
Old 2011-02-11, 08:36 AM
Regular User

Default Devonshire Finished Basement

We have received all the info on whats included in the finished basement option for 31K and are pleasantly surprised about a few things.
Whats included outside of the normal framing/wiring/paint/carpet/bath etc:

Open to below stair upgrade
3pc rough in
Includes non-dedicated HRV
This is an extra bonus for us as we were getting these anyway, so it decreases the cost of the "standard" finished basement to about 24K, but once we upgraded things it took it back to 30K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	7706