Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-08-04, 01:14 PM

Default Minto Avalon, lot under hydro corridor

We are interested in a single model at Avalon with Minto. The lot is close to school and park, but there is a hydro corridor passing by at 45 degree angle. The lot is 50-60 meters away from the corridor.
Anyone also buying there? What voltage is the power line? Could you share your thoughts? appreciate your advice.
Old 2014-08-04, 02:49 PM
Regular User

Hello 3721,

We've been in our current home for almost 13 years and it's near a hydro corridor in Avalon. Our front door is about 70 meters away from the start of the green space. When we first moved in, they had the old framed style towers but converted them to the new tower style and made the green way more park like. I don't know the specific details of what voltage they carry.

I had no issues with selecting a lot that is near a hydro corridor due to the power lines and I no longer really see them when I'm driving or walking around. In fact, our new home (in an area I believe you're interested in) will be facing homes that back onto a hydro corridor.

The only issue we had with the hydro corridor is since the City no longer actively manages weeds (i.e. dandelions etc.), my families allergies seems to have increased at certain times of the year (but that's a city issue not limited to the hydro corridor) and there are moments in the spring when the green corridors are more yellow than green. If you want a weed free lawn, you may need to spend more time and resources on lawn care the closer you are to the hydro corridor.

Hope this helps.

Chard2014
Old 2014-08-04, 04:27 PM
Regular User

Hey there 3721,

Like Chard2014 said if you are in the same area as he is thinking it would be close to us as well.

I had concerns about the voltage with the power lines. When we purchased I asked about the lines. The Minto rep assured us they are low voltage lines. He didn't now the exact number though.

Hope that helps
Closing date: Dec, 2014
Old 2014-08-05, 07:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecOne View Post
Hey there 3721,

Like Chard2014 said if you are in the same area as he is thinking it would be close to us as well.

I had concerns about the voltage with the power lines. When we purchased I asked about the lines. The Minto rep assured us they are low voltage lines. He didn't now the exact number though.

Hope that helps
Haha, they're transmission lines. They are quite absolutely not "low voltage". We live just the other side of Tenth Line, about 400m away. They're actually just finishing work on a new substation just behind the Canada Post sorting plant / Farm Boy.
Old 2014-08-05, 01:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Haha, they're transmission lines. They are quite absolutely not "low voltage". We live just the other side of Tenth Line, about 400m away. They're actually just finishing work on a new substation just behind the Canada Post sorting plant / Farm Boy.
Let me re-phrase then...They are Low-Voltage for transmission lines. Less then 1000 volts. Minto rep did not know how much less then 1000 volts running though them.

Therefore they are not Medium (MV), High (HV), Extra High (EHV) or Ultra High (UHV) Voltage lines.

So HAHA they are low voltage lines. lol
Old 2014-08-05, 01:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecOne View Post
Let me re-phrase then...They are Low-Voltage for transmission lines. Less then 1000 volts. Minto rep did not know how much less then 1000 volts running though them.

Therefore they are not Medium (MV), High (HV), Extra High (EHV) or Ultra High (UHV) Voltage lines.

So HAHA they are low voltage lines. lol
Not less than 1000 volts. I believe they are 230KV lines, though that could change with the new station, and or they might have been 500 to start with. 230 as in 230,000 volts. Not < 1000...

http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAf...System_Map.pdf

Here's another map that's interactive. Again you'll see they are > 230kV transmission lines:
http://powerforthefuture.ca/electricity-map/

Final edit: As you can read below, 230kV is generally referenced as the boundary between "high voltage" and "extra high voltage" for transmission lines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...d_transmission

Last edited by Trepex; 2014-08-05 at 01:57 PM.
Old 2014-08-05, 01:47 PM
Regular User

That location will be a deterrent to a few but isn't a deal breaker
Old 2014-08-05, 03:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Not less than 1000 volts. I believe they are 230KV lines, though that could change with the new station, and or they might have been 500 to start with. 230 as in 230,000 volts. Not < 1000...

http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAf...System_Map.pdf

Here's another map that's interactive. Again you'll see they are > 230kV transmission lines:
http://powerforthefuture.ca/electricity-map/

Final edit: As you can read below, 230kV is generally referenced as the boundary between "high voltage" and "extra high voltage" for transmission lines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...d_transmission
Well then I was clearly lied to by the sales rep....unless we are talking about different lines here?
Old 2014-08-05, 03:22 PM
Regular User

I have no doubt they mislead you. It's no biggie as far as I'm
concerned, but it absolutely is a main Ontario Hydro corridor. There's only the one just south of Innes that cuts through Chaperal and Avalon.
Old 2014-08-05, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I have no doubt they mislead you. It's no biggie as far as I'm
concerned, but it absolutely is a main Ontario Hydro corridor. There's only the one just south of Innes that cuts through Chaperal and Avalon.
These wires on on Wooden Poles not the metal structures thats why I'm wondering if we are talking about the same thing.
Just south of Innes has the wires on metal structures.