Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-08-05, 09:54 PM
Regular User

Not the same ones at all, "trepex" is going on about the tall steel tower corridor running next to the Tamarack development on Brian Coburn
Old 2014-08-05, 09:58 PM
Regular User

"Going on about". Nice. OP mentioned the hydro corridor in Avalon. It's hardly a stretch to assume it was the major transmission corridor that passes through us.
Old 2014-08-06, 02:15 AM

Checked the map link provided by Trepex, I think the one we are talking about is the 115kv yellow line connected to Navan DS.
Old 2014-08-06, 08:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
That location will be a deterrent to a few but isn't a deal breaker
True. Inconclusive study or not, I wouldn't be looking to buy or build near hydro towers. Aesthetic reasons and resale value.
Old 2014-08-06, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3721 View Post
We are interested in a single model at Avalon with Minto. The lot is close to school and park, but there is a hydro corridor passing by at 45 degree angle. The lot is 50-60 meters away from the corridor.
Anyone also buying there? What voltage is the power line? Could you share your thoughts? appreciate your advice.
I was interested in purchasing as well, but the model I liked were only situated either in front of the school, or near the hydro corridor. it may/may not be much of an issue, but I rather not purchase near the hydro corridor just in case. I also believe resale value will be a factor near these power lines.
Old 2014-08-06, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3721 View Post
Checked the map link provided by Trepex, I think the one we are talking about is the 115kv yellow line connected to Navan DS.
That is the line that I thought we were all talking about. It is the lowest voltage of the 3 lines on the map. So I would have to assume then that when the sales rep said low voltage thats what he meant.
So yes its low voltage as it is the lowest voltage line but yes it could be high voltage as there is lots of power running through it.
So it depends on how you look at it.
Closing date: Dec, 2014
Old 2014-08-06, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Not less than 1000 volts. I believe they are 230KV lines, though that could change with the new station, and or they might have been 500 to start with. 230 as in 230,000 volts. Not < 1000...

http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAf...System_Map.pdf

Here's another map that's interactive. Again you'll see they are > 230kV transmission lines:
http://powerforthefuture.ca/electricity-map/

Final edit: As you can read below, 230kV is generally referenced as the boundary between "high voltage" and "extra high voltage" for transmission lines:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electri...d_transmission
The map on powerforthefuture.ca does not show the power lines I thought we were all talking about. That red line is high voltage yes I agree with that.

The hydro one map shows the line from Navan and it seems to be the line I was thinking of at 115kv that would be low voltage compared to 230kv
Closing date: Dec, 2014
Old 2014-08-06, 11:43 AM
Regular User

Are you referring to the single family homes near Portobello and Brian Coburn? The power line running through that cluster of homes is referred to as the "Leisure Link" on the Minto community site maps. power lines on the two wooden poles. I purchased a home in that area as well, and it was certainly a concern for me, and I am sure it is a common concern for the average home buyer.

It is difficult to decipher all the information that is circulating on the internet. I am not an expert in the field, but I believe that the health effects are minimal and almost negligible >100m and any sort of distance also minimises the effects.

The following graph is a good resource, taken from the following website:
http://www.mcw.edu/radiationoncology...ancer-FAQs.htm
Attached Images
File Type: gif power frequency.gif (10.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 2014-08-06, 12:11 PM
Regular User

The Hydro One website has some info regarding the EMF's
http://www.hydroone.com/OurCommitmen...EMF_Fields.pdf