Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2022-06-18, 05:48 PM

Default Does this wall plate exist?

I recently installed a couple of ceiling fans in my upstairs bedrooms, and have discovered a minor nuisance. The ceiling outlet is wired to the wall switch at the door (as it was used to control a light fixture), so as our guests use the bedroom, they are inadvertently turning OFF the power for the ceiling fan. And when they attempt to use the remote to turn on the fan/light, it doesn't work until they realize that the wall switch is in the OFF position. Not a real big deal, but I was wondering if there was a product that might help resolve this issue. I suppose that the obvious answer is to hardwire the wall switch in the ON position, remove the Decora switch, and install a blank wall plate.

But, I was wondering if there was a product that you could install that would prevent anyone from toggling the switch itself. I have simple Leviton Decora single pole switches. I thought that there might be a Decora wall switch that had a half height hole, so that pressing on the switch would not be possible. This way, there is no real need to re-wire the wall switch outlet.

I suppose I could attempt to modify an existing Decora wall plate, but I don't think it would look very professional. I've tried to search for a product but can't seem to find anything that resembles what I am looking for. I can live with the issue, but I would like to know if a suitable wall plate exists. Any ideas would be appreciated.