Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2022-03-31, 01:22 PM
Regular User

Default Water & Mold in Basement Wall Cavities - 5 Yr Old New House

Greetings everyone:

Issue - Just found out there is excessive water and mold in the wall cavities around my 5 year old house. There is water flowing out of the wall cavities onto the floor in multiple locations front and back of the basement area. Taking the vapor barrier off and taking some of the insulation away, the insulation is soaking wet at the bottom and there is visible condensation from top to bottom everywhere and pieces of mold scattered all over the basement wall on the white plastic sheeting right next to the concrete basement wall.

The basement smells musty at all times.

Situation - I have posted previously before about grading issues on my property and that of my neighbours. The developer attempted a fix but could not properly complete the grading repair as the house is situated too low on the property relative to the retaining wall at the back and the street curb in the front - the property is a walk out. There is simply little grade in the backyard. The water from my and neighbours downspouts just sits for days and the foundation parging in these areas is popping off and there are water marks on the parging.

I wondered why my health was declining (allergies, fatigue, skin rash, difficulty breathing) - my doctor sent me to an allergist and I and my spouse both have mold poisoning as now we are diagnosed with asthma, first time.

We have Tarion on the file and the developer is confronting this and we have hired a lawyer, mould consultant, concrete consultant and geotechnical engineer. The developer of course would like to minimize this but with our team they appear to be resigned to addressing this.

Question 1 - What do you think is the cause of this excessive moisture in the wall cavities?

Question 2 - How would you play Tarion on this file?

Thank you so very much everyone!
Spring is here finally.
Old 2022-05-12, 09:14 AM
Regular User

My first piece of advice would be that you've been managing your indoor humidity. For a Tarion warranty claim to be made in your favour, you need to be able to establish that you're doing all possible to keep your indoor humidity in a range of 30% to 50% continuously. If you have not set up a dehumidifier, I suggest that you do so now. The dehumidifier should be set up such that it is connected by hose to a drain, the unit is turned on for continuous operation all year round, and that you set the humidity level at the dehumidifier to either 40% or 45%.

A second possibility is that the air barrier has not been properly sealed at the rim joist area. Unfortunately, this means checking the rim joist cavity areas to see if the air barrier has been properly sealed.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca