Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2022-08-12, 01:44 AM
Regular User

I'm going to simplify as much as possible. If you have a basement, then purchase a dehumidifier, place it in the basement, connect the dehumidifier by a hose to a drain, and set it to 50%. Leave it plugged in and running all year round. Bottom line is that the indoor humidity needs to be kept below 50% to prevent condensation and mold issues. If you do so and you encounter vapour on the vapour barrier, then bring this to my attention.

I am anticipating that I will not hear of any problems.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2022-09-23, 10:23 AM
Regular User

Hi OP:

Question - are there dried water stains on the concrete floor in the areas where there is water vapor and around the entire basement. Should be at the base of the plastic vapor barrier.

What about your other neighbor?

While the humidity level is a valid analysis, there can also be construction errors in the foundation which allows moisture to move from under the house up into the insulation area.

The fact your neighbour has mould tells me there is something more amiss in their situation.

I await your investigation.