Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-03-27, 09:25 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb *Upgrade Ques*

We Finalized Our Upgrade Choices We Wish To Do, Let Us Know If Any Of The Upgrades Are Not Worth It, Or Can Be Done Later For Much Less.

~ Clermont Doors Throughout - $500
~ Living/Dining Room Coffered Ceiling - $1200
~ Staircase Stain - $1150
~ Iron Picket Euroline 2 - $1360
~ Upgrade 5 Tiles Throughout Main Floor Except Living/Dining Room And
Family Room - $6760
~ Kitchen Cabinets Upgrade 2 With 41" Upgrade - $7920
~ Kitchen Undercabinet Flourescent Lighting - $2590
~ Kitchen Full Depth Above Fridge From 300mm To 600mm - $585
~ Kitchen Pantry From 300mm To 600mm - $890

Also What Would Be An Average Price To Do A Kitchen After Closing, Like A Kitchen Similar To The Upgrade 2, Which Greenpark Offers.

I`m Also Interested In Getting Granite Or Marble Tiles Throughout The Main Floor Except For Living/Dining Room And Family, Since The Builder Is Charging So Much For Tiles.

Thanks

Last edited by Selvi; 2011-03-28 at 09:32 PM.
Old 2011-03-28, 06:14 PM
Regular User

Almost anything can be done after but it's just a matter of how much effort you're willing to put searching for people to do it for you. Also, there's a lot of time involved to do these afterwards. But the real savings you'll find is when you do it afterwards yourself. Hiring contractors will probably save money, again, you'll need to find them and schedule a few days off work to watch them.

The following I would considering doing myself or through a contractor.
staining stairs - I did this afterwards to save ~3500. If you contract it out, it'll cost about the same as your quote above.
Kitchen Undercabinet Flourescent Lighting - Definitely do this afterwards. 2590 for a few lights and a cabinet skirt sounds a bit much.

The other stuff I'm not sure about but tiles/flooring is pretty tough to change afterwards I think. Also, doing a kitchen afterwards could range in price. Depends where you go and what you want. Best bet is to go out and get a few prices done on your own and compare it with your builders.
Old 2011-03-28, 06:34 PM
Regular User

Most of the quoted prices seem to be the going rate for builders. The only one that is possibly high is the kitchen lighting so perhaps that is an option you can pursue after closing.

You could probably save money on anyone on those items by doing it later, but it's the time and effort and finding reputable contractors that you also have to consider.
Old 2011-03-28, 10:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selvi View Post
We Finalized Our Upgrade Choices We Wish To Do, Let Us Know If Any Of The Upgrades Are Not Worth It, Or Can Be Done Later For Much Less.

~ Clermont Doors Throughout - $500 - Will the doors be 8 ft. tall??
~ Living/Dining Room Coffered Ceiling - $1200 - Easier if done by the builder
~ Staircase Stain - $1150 - Get it from the builder
~ Iron Picket Euroline 2 - $1360 - Get it from the builder
Family Room - $6760 - Really depends on how much you love the tiles, unless you plan to remove the standard tiles after closing (which is very messy), it's easier to upgrade through the builder
~ Kitchen Cabinets Upgrade 2 With 41" Upgrade - $7920 - Get it from the builder unless you think that one day you will replace your cabinets & go custom
~ Kitchen Undercabinet Flourescent Lighting - $2590 - Def. DO NOT get this from the builder! Can be done for less after closing
~ Kitchen Full Depth Above Fridge From 300mm To 600mm - $585 - Get it from the builder
~ Kitchen Pantry From 300mm To 600mm - $890 - Get it from the builder

Also What Would Be An Average Price To Do A Kitchen After Closing, Like A Kitchen Similar To The Upgrade 2, Which Greenpark Offers.

I`m Also Interested In Getting Granite Or Marble Tiles Throughout The Main Floor Except For Living/Dining Room And Family, Since The Builder Is Charging So Much For Tiles.

Thanks
Hope these answers help
Old 2011-03-29, 11:05 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Patrob Do You Do Granite/Marble Flooring?

I'm Not Sure The Height Of The Doors, Our Main Floor Is 9 ft.

Also If We Do Our Kitchen Undercabineting After Closing, How Will We Get The Matching Wood Piece, I Don't Think Selba(Greenpark's Supplier), Would Sell It To Us, From What I Heard.

Thanks
Old 2011-03-30, 02:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Patrob Do You Do Granite/Marble Flooring?

I'm Not Sure The Height Of The Doors, Our Main Floor Is 9 ft.

Also If We Do Our Kitchen Undercabineting After Closing, How Will We Get The Matching Wood Piece, I Don't Think Selba(Greenpark's Supplier), Would Sell It To Us, From What I Heard.

Thanks
No, just hardwood But we do know excellent tile installers if you need one.
Find out what height the $500 Claremont Doors are, if they are regular height not 8 ft. don't get it!

Find our how much just the wooden valance will cost with no lights. Of course they have to sell you matching product after closing
They probably mean they won't give prices before you close as it's conflict of interest. BTW Selba is owned by Greenpark
Old 2011-03-30, 03:18 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Whats Wrong With Regular Height Doors, Instead Of 8 ft

Last edited by Selvi; 2011-03-30 at 03:27 PM.
Old 2011-03-30, 09:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:

~ Clermont Doors Throughout - $500
~ Living/Dining Room Coffered Ceiling - $1200
~ Staircase Stain - $1150
~ Iron Picket Euroline 2 - $1360
Family Room - $6760
~ Kitchen Cabinets Upgrade 2 With 41" Upgrade - $7920
~ Kitchen Undercabinet Flourescent Lighting - $2590
~ Kitchen Full Depth Above Fridge From 300mm To 600mm - $585
~ Kitchen Pantry From 300mm To 600mm - $890

Thanks
I bought from GP Phase 3 and I got the Clermont doors for $400 (before the HST kicked in I guess, and some time has gone by). I love them and I don't know why the 8ft matters anyway. The doors are perfect and according to the ceiling height which in my case is 9ft on main floor and 8ft on second floor.

I have a coffered ceiling in the living/dining room (came standard) and don't particularly like it that much so I would definitely not pay extra to have it. Keep your money and put crown moulding intead later on.

I would definitely upgrade the stairs through the builder (incl. to oak unless it comes standard for you), and GP is not going to leave the stairs unstained anyway.

I don't know your square footage but the tiles seem expensive. But if you really like them go for it. Doing that after closing is way too messy IMO.

I did my kitchen after closing with Selba. Doing a custom kitchen can be pricey but you get a lot more features for the same price as a few upgrades through the builder. But you have to be willing to do that. In the end I love my kitchen so I feel it was worth it, but it had its moments while I was going through it that's for sure.

That quote for the cabinets, does it include Maple cabinets? I agree with all your kitchen upgrades, I would add crown moulding & a valence and if you want to splurge a pot & pan drawer.

Definitely do the lighting afterwards as well as countertops. That quote is a rip-off.

My two cents.
Old 2011-03-30, 09:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Whats Wrong With Regular Height Doors, Instead Of 8 ft
I thought they were charging you $500 for each door but it says throughout
If it would have been $500 for each then I would expect them to be 8 ft. tall that's why I mentioned it
Old 2011-03-30, 10:37 PM
Regular User

Lightbulb

LOL, No I Wouldn't Pay $500/Door, I Meant Throughout The Whole House.

We Get Coffered Ceiling In Our Family Room Standard Through The Builder, I Also Wanted Coffered In The Living/Dining Room Thats What They're Charging $1200 For.

I Don't Know If Coffered In Both Living/Dining Room And Family Room Would Look Good, Or Should I Just Leave It Coffered In Family Room, Like On My Plan?

Last edited by Selvi; 2011-03-30 at 10:42 PM.