Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-02-22, 09:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
I believe the houses backing onto the Kanata Lakes golf course were build between 1995-1998ish (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Does anyone know when the houses backing onto the Stonebridge golf courses were built?
I found a real estate listing for one that backs onto stoneridge - 2010. ANother across the street built in 2017.

Found 3 built in 2006, so most of them are 15 years or less.
Old 2019-02-22, 04:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBTUX View Post
I agree with this. The builder can't make promises forever, but I think the people should have some protection for a reasonable period of time, a generation even. 25 ish years sort of thing. Just does not seem right that a builder could charge a lot premium of sometimes way north of 50K, then change the plans without compensating the buyers.
It would be extremely frustrating to pay a large premium and then have circumstances change. Buyers pay lot premiums because the lot is more desirable than other lots. That desirability is subjective though, as just as there are buyers who will pay lot premiums, there are others buyers who will not. Lot premiums are like in ground pools - some will gladly pay for it, others simply will not.
Old 2019-02-24, 11:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaC View Post
It would be extremely frustrating to pay a large premium and then have circumstances change. Buyers pay lot premiums because the lot is more desirable than other lots. That desirability is subjective though, as just as there are buyers who will pay lot premiums, there are others buyers who will not. Lot premiums are like in ground pools - some will gladly pay for it, others simply will not.
That's a fair comparison. Sometimes people might even go as far as paying to REMOVE a pool (been there), so it really is a matter of taste. I suppose there could be people who don't want golfers looking in their yard all day.....but I would imagine that the vast majority of people would much prefer to have this type of view rather than someone else's house behind them.

I'm just interested to see what stance the City takes as it does look like this is going to be a huge battle....so much so that the City will have to take a position, whether it be a legal one or otherwise.
Old 2019-03-17, 08:10 AM
Regular User

Looks like the city is pushing to determine whether the agreement at Kanata Lakes is ironclad:

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...b-2135e0ccfd01

"The 40 per cent agreement dates back to 1981 and the old city of Kanata. The former municipality signed an agreement with Campeau Corp. to maintain 40 per cent of the development area in Kanata Lakes as green space.

The deal, which the City of Ottawa assumed in the 2001 municipal amalgamation, gives the city the right to take over the golf course at no cost if the owner doesn’t want to continue running it. Only if the city doesn’t want to run the golf course can the owner apply to redevelop the land"

Interesting. The challenge, I would think for homeowners, is making sure that the land remains as a golf course and is properly maintained as a golf course. No one would want poorly maintained land behind their homes.

Then again, does the City of Ottawa and its taxpayers want another city managed golf course?
Old 2019-03-18, 03:20 PM
Regular User

One thing to keep in mind is that, while homeowners who paid premiums to back onto the golf course are the ones most affected, anyone who bought in these communities paid a premium at least in part because of the golf course. The golf courses are a major part of the reason these homes cost more than similar homes in neighboring communities.

As far as when the homes were built in Stonebridge, I believe the most recent homes would have been in 2017.
Old 2019-03-18, 05:29 PM
Regular User

I find this very interesting.

To me a gold course has to be one of the most toxic places to live beside. All the pesticides and herbicides, machinery noise and fumes.

With foursomes going by every 15 minutes, there is not the kind of privacy and quiet I like.

Anyway not attractive enough to me to pay the backing on to golf course up charge.

Who does a golf links level golf course benefit anyway? A small number of rich people who can afford to play. Is this motivated because the golf course is losing money?

I think it is safe to conclude there is no way this will be gifted to the city.

The layout of the holes creates an interesting challenge. Are they wide enough for houses both sides and a street down the middle? Maybe if they build big expensive homes on squishy size lots? So much for that peace and quite and privacy.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I imagine the city will find a way to waste lots of money fighting this - lose or win.

Oh and the contract....a 40 year old agreement with a non-existant entity. Still valid? Dont know - I want to see the notices to the owners, and their acceptance, of the new amalgamated city continuing the agreement. Rather than letting it lapse. Perhaps failing to provide such notice within a time limited period established in the agreement after which the agreement lapses.

It will be entertaining
Old 2019-03-18, 06:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
To me a gold course has to be one of the most toxic places to live beside. All the pesticides and herbicides, machinery noise and fumes.
Pesticides and herbicides, definately not good. Machinery and fumes aren't an issue though. Especially compared to building hundreds of new homes with 2 SUVs each.

Quote:
The layout of the holes creates an interesting challenge. Are they wide enough for houses both sides and a street down the middle? Maybe if they build big expensive homes on squishy size lots? So much for that peace and quite and privacy.
There would be plenty of space for houses on both sides and a street down the middle. In most places the lots would actually be bigger than most of the existing lots in these neighborhoods. Most of the fairways are between 300 and 400 feet wide. To give you an idea Mattamy had proposed to take away two existing smaller holes in stonebridge and remove small parts from two other holes and this was enough to build 158 houses.
Old 2019-03-27, 02:38 PM
Regular User

Just to clarify - regarding the Kanata Golf Course. The agreement is to maintain 40% greenspace in Kanata Lakes in perpetuity. The GC is about 30% of this land.
When Clublink bought the golf course( for less than 3 million $), they agreed to the terms that were signed back in 1981 when Kanata got amalgamated, that this land will be used as a golf course and if they want to sell it, they first must sell it as a GC, if a buyer is not found they must offer it to the city for $1. The city then has a choice to either run it as a golf course (which they won't) or offer it to a 3rd party.
Clublink didn't ever try to find a buyer. The want 80 million for this land. They totally ignored the contract they signed, by not trying to sell it at a GC first.

This GC is the most profitable one of all the GC here. Even last year they made close to 2 million in profits on this GC alone.

Clublink is doing it with other golf courses they purchase (the Glen Abby, and another around Toronto). They buy 'cheap' GC and after a few years they sell it for tens of millions for development. That's their business model.

And for the builders - Richcraft sold many homes in the 90's backing onto the GC for huge premiums. Now they want to profit again from the same piece of land.
Old 2019-03-27, 02:55 PM
Regular User

Interesting info. How is it that you are aware of these details?
Old 2019-03-27, 05:01 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Interesting info. How is it that you are aware of these details?
Lived here for 25 years, the first home in Kanata was on the golf course. We paid premium, and now the people here got organized to defend the 40% agreement that was signed so long ago.