Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-25, 10:22 AM

Default Does a new home builder have to sod or seed your property?

As the title asks, I'm wondering if a builder HAS to sod or seed around a new home. My final contract states "final grade" but nothing more. My 1yr form with Tarion will be due in a month and I've just found out about article 14.9:

http://www.tarion.com/services/pdg_detail.aspx?rid=229

which states that the sod/seeding must be completed within one year.

2nd question: The other problem is if he WAS supposed to do it, and told me he didn't, did the fact that I spent $ doing it myself, due to being told it was my responsibility, entitle me to any compensation from him through the warranty program?

I am waiting for a call back from Tarion about this, but wanted to hear from anyone with experience. Obviously I will share my results with everyone here.

Last edited by ICEFIR3; 2010-03-25 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2010-03-25, 10:41 AM
Regular User

All depends on what is in your PA.

My builder offered final grade, and sod throughout the entire yard. I have two friends who have recently built. The first didn't have even the final grade included and has to do it all himself. The second has sod on the front and about 3/4 of his back yard, the last 50' or so is his responsibility.

Love my new house!
Old 2010-03-25, 11:59 AM

I expect you are probably right, Tarion will likely confirm this when they get back to me.

Just thought I'd ask here if anyone had experience with this situation.
Old 2010-03-25, 03:41 PM
Regular User

What are the rest of the people in your neighborhood doing? Did they also buy their own sod?
Old 2010-03-26, 07:58 AM
Regular User

Did you even read your purchase agreement?
Old 2010-03-26, 08:46 AM

mart242: As my post says, my PA says final grade but doesn't specify anything else.

GreyingJay: I'm not in a sub division, just a house on a piece of land.

Thanks for the input guys, I was just wondering if sod/seed was something that was supposed to be done or whether it depended on the deal made. The Tarion article is somewhat vague.

My builder has been unresponsive and so I'm trying to figure out what needs to go on my 1yr Tarion form.
Old 2010-03-26, 09:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEFIR3 View Post
mart242: As my post says, my PA says final grade but doesn't specify anything else.
If your PA doesn't specify then the builder is not under any obligation to do it.
You can't put it on your Tarion list since it's not a warranted item in your PA.

If you went ahead and did it yourself your still not entitled to compensation.
It would be like putting in your own hardwood and then trying to put it on your Tarion list when you didn't buy hardwood through your builder.

CB
Old 2010-03-28, 01:23 PM
thumper

Final grading has to be approved by the city - contact them - 311.
Old 2010-04-19, 04:28 PM
Regular User

who did you purchaser from. Most of the bigger players in the city (i.e. Claridge, Minto, Richcraft....) grade and sod the lot. Front and back.