Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Financing, Mortgages and Insurance

Financing, Mortgages and Insurance What options are best for you and your situation?

Old 2010-04-27, 02:47 PM
Regular User

Default HST Transition (not new housing related)

Since the sticky post seems to be more about new houses, I created a new thread.

Does anyone know exactly how the transition to HST will occur?

I'm planning on doing some landscaping and having a deck built this spring. The original plan was to complete everything before July 1st hence no HST. But due to whatever delays the deck will be started before July 1st but may not be completed till shortly after. Can I plan to pay the balance before July 1st to avoid HST? What is the exact rule, most of the work will be done but there may still be some finishing touches that occur after July 1.

Also the builder is seems to have failed their grading and needs to do some more work, this could push my landscaping out till after July 1st as well. If I pay before July 1st am I HST exempt?

If technically I am not, what would I need to do to not pay the HST?

Thanks.
Old 2010-04-27, 03:10 PM
Regular User

Hobbes,

Hope this article clarifies a bit about the HST for renos. If it doesn't, it never hurts to call the CRA HST hotline to inquire.

http://www.nationalpost.com/homes/story.html?id=2420607
Old 2010-04-27, 08:34 PM
Regular User

If you read the article mc_ottawa posted, they made sure you're gonna pay the HST. I wouldn't pay any contractors in full before the job is complete, you're asking for trouble.

Remember to vote Oct.6, 2011.
Old 2010-04-28, 01:41 PM
Regular User

Well 8% is still a good chunk of change. Let's say I have high enough confidence in the contractors will paying up before July mean I can "call the job done" and avoid HST? Even if there are some finishing touches to be done later?