Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-05-16, 03:13 AM

Default Phoenix Homes - Cheasapeake

Hey all,

So this is my first time purchasing a single home -ever- and this deal seems a little too good to be true?

Cheasapeake: 3543 - 3562 Sq. ft. — 50 ft. lot, $499,000
http://www.phoenixhomes.ca/homes/hom...0Family%20Home

I mean, the Platina is smaller AND more expensive - This puzzles me. I figure there must be something horribly wrong with the Cheasapeake but I don't know what...

I know Phoenix often delays their closing time but I'm more concerned about the building materials, structural integrity, etc.

If anyone could help me out, I would be so grateful!
THANKS! : ]
Old 2011-05-16, 07:36 AM
Regular User

The material they use for the building structure is the same as other builders use.
Old 2011-05-16, 09:21 AM
Regular User

If you read the footnotes on the floor plan, the Cheasapeake reads:

Quote:
*Total square footage (4 Bedroom Elev. A) includes 574 sq. ft. of open space.
*Total square footage (5 Bed. Elev. A & B, 4 Bed w/2 Ensuites, Alt. 4 Bed. Plan) includes 346 sq. ft. of open space.
Whereas the Platina reads:

Quote:
*Total square footage (Elevation A and B) includes 54 sq. ft. of open space.
Also, the Platina seems to have a more sensible floorplan. The standard floorplan on the Cheasapeake is a bit odd.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2011-05-16, 09:29 AM
Regular User

The Cheasapeake is a very nice home. I wish I had bought it myself. But it did not fit our budget then. I live in a Phoenixhomes built house myself and have little to complain about.
Old 2011-05-16, 09:53 AM
Regular User

I dont think those numbers are right. Phoenix often has outdated pricing on the models shown on this page. The true price of the home would be listed on the price list associated with the development you would be looking in. In Strandheard Meadow (while its not listed now) they were around $550,000 the last I saw.
Old 2011-05-16, 10:30 AM
Regular User

This model is good and have many options, so it can fit different needs of family.

I just find the price for 50' model has been removed, so maybe they sold all the 50' lot currently, so you need go to sales office to check it.

http://www.phoenixhomes.ca//document...ricelist_4.pdf

If you want brick outside, three bathrooms like platina, the price is almost same.

Last edited by linda123; 2011-05-16 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2011-05-16, 10:33 AM
Regular User

The Cheasapeake has a two storey great room where as the Platina does not. Less material needed so maybe that's why it's cheaper.

Take a look at Tamarack's Essex and Oxford models. Similar floor plans but the Essex has a two storey family room and is cheaper of the two.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-05-16, 10:58 AM
Regular User

I just hate paying taxes on open space
Old 2011-05-16, 11:46 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrhaven View Post
I dont think those numbers are right. Phoenix often has outdated pricing on the models shown on this page. The true price of the home would be listed on the price list associated with the development you would be looking in. In Strandheard Meadow (while its not listed now) they were around $550,000 the last I saw.
I agree. It doesn't seem that the model is even available right now.

You will also need to consider any lot premiums that may be charged. And, don't forget about upgrades. The larger the home, the more it's gonna cost you for things like tiling, A/C, hardwood and whatnot. In a 3000 square foot home, even if you upgrade half the floor square footage, you can easily budget $15,000 just for that.

Smart move posting your questions here. Being a first time home buyer there are a lot of things to learn about new homes.
Old 2011-05-16, 02:56 PM
Regular User

We finalized and then backed out of a Chesapeake purchase and instead finalized on a Tamarack Oxford. Although the Chesapeake is a great value, it's just not a very modern layout. We love open concept homes and although the family/kitchen with the Chesapeake are one big area, the way the layout is, the kitchen ends up being really narrow thus not leaving very much room for a large size island. Compare that with the Tamarack Oxford and you have a lot more room in the back side (family/kitchen) of the house.

Although we were mostly OK with the Chesapeake main floor, the second floor was not that appealing. We especially didn't like the bathroom layout of the master and asked the builder to price out making changes to it. I've attached the original floor plan and what we wanted to go with on the second floor to the post.

Bottom line though, it was a good house, but we dropped pursuing it primarily it wasn't as appealing to us as the Oxford and secondly we liked the lot it was going to be on more than the actual house.

BUT...this is just our opinion, so if you do go for it, I wish you all the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chesapeake_SecondFloor_Import2.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	8433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chesapeake_SecondFloor_Original.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	8434