Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2017-01-13, 10:54 AM
Regular User

Default Light switches are not grounded

Ive replaced a couple light switches in my home and noted that none of the switches were grounded by the builder.

All the switches are installed in plastic enclosures, not metal.

Grounds are there, but the switches are not tied to them. If I recall correctly they dont even have a location for the ground wire so they are either not intended to be grounded, or are expected to be installed in a metal enclosure.

Does this meet code in Ontario?

Also, I noted that the wiring in multigang boxes is inconsistent throughout the house. Some boxes have the hot wire go into a wire nut with an individual wire going to each switch, some of the boxes have a single hot wire that was stripped in small segments to allow it to bounce from one switch to the next. I prefer the first method, but is there anything wrong with the second?
Old 2017-01-13, 08:15 PM
Regular User

Switches should have a ground screw connection. My understanding, when using plastic enclosures is, grounds are connected to the switch, not the box. and/or tied together.

I don't see anything wrong with the 2nd method. Must have been different electricians wiring maybe?
Old 2017-01-15, 11:11 AM
Regular User

The switch itself does not have a ground connection. Plastic boxes with a gasket are often used on exterior walls instead of metal ones - they are better for sealing air and cold out as opposed to wrapping them. they usually have a metal band that goes from the ground screw to one or both of the screw holes that mount the switch to the box.

Plastic boxes are more expensive so it wouldn't be anything to do with cost savings

In terms of the wire jumping from one device to the next it probably has to do with "box fill" Every electrical device box has a spec about how many wires and connections / connectors can be in it that cannot be exceeded. If the box is packed to tight heat buildup could occur. Not sure what code says about this, I'd ask an electrician.
Old 2017-01-16, 09:57 AM
Regular User

Interesting, I didnt check if the switch mount was grounded. I noted that the switch itself doesnt have a spot to attach a ground.
Old 2017-01-16, 02:07 PM
Regular User

Here is a pic of an empty plastic box, showing the metal strip that goes to the screw hole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170116_090522.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	13736  
Old 2017-01-17, 10:23 AM
Regular User

that looks familiar! I guess they are grounded after all. Thank you.