Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-05-02, 01:02 PM
Regular User

Question Proposed Kitchen Layout - Feedback?

Hello All,

I've attached a rendering of our first kitchen layout candidate. We worked through it with the cabinet designer, but in advance of her drawings, I did up this mock-up. The raised bar isn't properly drawn, as in reality it will be open under the counter for stools. I had issues drawing it properly.

Things that cannot change:
  • Cooktop / Wall oven combination (not willing to switch to range)
  • Fridge. We don't want to budge on this and don't really see how a single door (instead of french doors) would change things.
  • Island. We really want a raised bar area.
Things that can change:
  • Anything that's not listed above
My main concern is that we're quickly losing counter space, which is really important to me. I need to add a microwave in there somewhere and we'd really prefer to keep out existing non-builtin, and put it in a shelf somewhere. The question is where. I'm feeling we might be forced into buying a walloven/microwave combination unit...

Regarding the cabinet to the left of the fridge. We've (at least at this point) opted for an 18" broom closet in order to allow the french door to swing completely open (requires 16.5"). This was another reason we prefer french doors, given our layout.

Any feedback?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	4155  

Last edited by Trepex; 2009-05-02 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added note about broom closet
Old 2009-05-02, 01:24 PM
Regular User

I'd do a built-in microwave above your built-in stove. (Well...I would drop the oven down a bit and put the microwave where the top of the stove currently starts). This would eliminate one of your pull-out drawers, but I think you would still have lots of storage room in the kitchen.

A microwave anywhere else would look out of place...unless you put it under the counter of the island (but that would be awkward)...Another option, is obviously above the cooktop, but it seems you would like to have a nice hoodfan there as opposed to microwave (and for that, I don't blame you!)
Old 2009-05-02, 01:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S and B View Post
I'd do a built-in microwave above your built-in stove. (Well...I would drop the oven down a bit and put the microwave where the top of the stove currently starts). This would eliminate one of your pull-out drawers, but I think you would still have lots of storage room in the kitchen.

A microwave anywhere else would look out of place...unless you put it under the counter of the island (but that would be awkward)...Another option, is obviously above the cooktop, but it seems you would like to have a nice hoodfan there as opposed to microwave (and for that, I don't blame you!)
Thanks for the reply! Yeah... we're leaning more and more in that direction, but uggg... one more appliance to shell out cash for. I suppose though that if it makes the kitchen a lot more functional in the long run, we'll appreciate it.
Old 2009-05-02, 08:17 PM
Regular User

I agree about the microwave, install it above the wall oven. Anywhere else, it will not look right IMO. I would also lower the wall oven by eliminating 1 bottom drawer to make space for the microwave.

Will you be actually using your broom closet for an actual broom?? If that's the case, why not just make a pantry out of it for extra storage.
I personally don't even use a broom in my house I just vacuum everything (central vac or for smaller stuff, our small battery operated hand vac which we installed right under the sink )
Old 2009-05-03, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrob View Post
I agree about the microwave, install it above the wall oven. Anywhere else, it will not look right IMO. I would also lower the wall oven by eliminating 1 bottom drawer to make space for the microwave.

Will you be actually using your broom closet for an actual broom?? If that's the case, why not just make a pantry out of it for extra storage.
I personally don't even use a broom in my house I just vacuum everything (central vac or for smaller stuff, our small battery operated hand vac which we installed right under the sink )
I agree with all this, too.

Great idea about the hand vac, Patrob. I might just do the same thing. Do you mind sharing the name brand and if you recommend it.
Old 2009-05-03, 10:00 AM
Regular User

Kitchenaid makes a nice "oven and a half", where the top half-sized oven is actually a microwave/convection oven. It's a little more $, but then you only need one opening, one electrical, no trim kit, and you're only buying one appliance.

Also think about deepening your standard uppers from 12" to 14", so they'll hold more glasses and larger plates - youy don't have a lot of standard depth uppers in your layout.

Once you're in you might want to think about pull-outs for the pantry to the right of the fridge - I have a similar layout and I never get to the back of the pantry.
Old 2009-05-03, 10:28 AM
Regular User

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillehomeowner View Post
Kitchenaid makes a nice "oven and a half", where the top half-sized oven is actually a microwave/convection oven. It's a little more $, but then you only need one opening, one electrical, no trim kit, and you're only buying one appliance.
Yeah it's this unit right?
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?...ct/KEMS308SSS/

We LOVE it, it's just $2000 more than the stand-alone oven. Such a hard pill to swallow. But we mocked-up putting a shelf over the oven with our existing microwave and it looks awful. It's so narrow so it doesn't look good.

The dual unit is probably the way to go, it's just scary to spend that much on a wall oven :P It means it's as expensive as my induction cooktop...

Quote:
Also think about deepening your standard uppers from 12" to 14", so they'll hold more glasses and larger plates - youy don't have a lot of standard depth uppers in your layout
Thanks for pointing this out. I'll talk to our cabinet designer. Not even positive whether we have 12". I think at some point I remember her mentioning how they were deeper than typical, just as they extend them higher than most builders do, standard. Do you think 14" sticks out too far though, making it feel more closed-in when you're working at the counters?

Quote:
Once you're in you might want to think about pull-outs for the pantry to the right of the fridge - I have a similar layout and I never get to the back of the pantry.
Sorry, did you mean to the left of the fridge? That's where we're tentatively thinking of the broom closet. Or did you mean to the right of the oven? Great idea on the pull-outs. We really want to do that, but we'll do it after closing. They want waaaaaaay too much money for this through the builder.

Last edited by Trepex; 2009-05-03 at 10:31 AM.
Old 2009-05-03, 10:30 AM
Regular User

Quote:

Yeah we will definitely drop everything down and lose one of the two pot/pan drawers. Otherwise the microwave would be way to high as well. I'll update the mock-ups!

I dunno, I have a feeling we might use a broom/swiffer-thing a lot. We aren't getting central vac right away and I've just often used a broom of swiffer on hardwood/ceramic so it's a bit of a habit. We can't think where else we'd keep that sort of thing, as well as the little kitchen ladder/step if we don't have a little closet area like that.
Old 2009-05-03, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcol27 View Post
I agree with all this, too.

Great idea about the hand vac, Patrob. I might just do the same thing. Do you mind sharing the name brand and if you recommend it.
Thanks It's Black & Decker Dust Buster 9.6V & works great for the last 4 years & only cost $11 at CT with a $20 rebate promo of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Yeah it's this unit right?
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?...ct/KEMS308SSS/

We LOVE it, it's just $2000 more than the stand-alone oven. Such a hard pill to swallow. But we mocked-up putting a shelf over the oven with our existing microwave and it looks awful. It's so narrow so it doesn't look good.

The dual unit is probably the way to go, it's just scary to spend that much on a wall oven :P It means it's as expensive as my induction cooktop...
We looked at the same KA combo unit but decided against it. I did not like the way the microwave door opened down & felt it was a bit overpriced.
Instead we got the 2.2 cu. ft. Panasonic microwave with trim kit for less than $500 & works/looks great.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4637/img7820crop.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepex View Post
Yeah we will definitely drop everything down and lose one of the two pot/pan drawers. Otherwise the microwave would be way to high as well. I'll update the mock-ups!

I dunno, I have a feeling we might use a broom/swiffer-thing a lot. We aren't getting central vac right away and I've just often used a broom of swiffer on hardwood/ceramic so it's a bit of a habit. We can't think where else we'd keep that sort of thing, as well as the little kitchen ladder/step if we don't have a little closet area like that.
We keep our step ladder, brooms/mops in the garage, we always have. IMO it's better to utilize that pantry space for your everyday kitchen supplies & if you need to broom or mop, just go to the garage & get it from there, since you have access from the house
Old 2009-05-03, 02:17 PM
Regular User

Quote:
We looked at the same KA combo unit but decided against it. I did not like the way the microwave door opened down & felt it was a bit overpriced.
Instead we got the 2.2 cu. ft. Panasonic microwave with trim kit for less than $500 & works/looks great.
Interesting... I think Panasonic sells a 30" trim kit for our current microwave, which we love. This might be a good solution. Thanks!

Quote:
We keep our step ladder, brooms/mops in the garage, we always have. IMO it's better to utilize that pantry space for your everyday kitchen supplies & if you need to broom or mop, just go to the garage & get it from there, since you have access from the house
We'll certainly consider your suggestion, but the SO is stubborn and wants her broom closet! We COULD just get a single door, and then have shelves installed and just pop them out and use it as a broom closet, until we decide we'd prefer the shelving.