Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2009-05-04, 09:07 AM
Regular User

Default Tarion Conciliation Inspection

With a lot of us on this board going through or have gone through their 30 day and 1 year inspections has anyone gone through the route of a conciliation inspection via Tarion? If so would you be willing to express how you found the process and where your issues resolved?

This is the Tarion link for the conciliation process.
http://www.tarion.com/HOME/Warranty+...ntsProcess.htm
Old 2009-05-04, 12:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd1 View Post
With a lot of us on this board going through or have gone through their 30 day and 1 year inspections has anyone gone through the route of a conciliation inspection via Tarion? If so would you be willing to express how you found the process and where your issues resolved?

This is the Tarion link for the conciliation process.
http://www.tarion.com/HOME/Warranty+...ntsProcess.htm

I have been through with every builder. Go in expecting the worse and hope it is not. Be prepared to go to LAT within 30 days of the decision. If anyone needs more details PM me.
Old 2009-05-08, 08:45 PM
Regular User

Tarion is a waste of time and they charge you. PM me.
Old 2009-05-11, 06:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_SL View Post
Tarion is a waste of time and they charge you. PM me.
If you do it right, it may be worth the time. If you don't care about the issues in your house, then you are correct.

In order to not be charged, it is important to have at least 1 warrantable item in your conciliation. Even if the others are not, they cannot charge you because 1 item is. How do you ensure you have 1 item? Check the construction guidelines and find one, even if it does not really apply. eg foundation crack has to be greater than 6 mm, so you write that down, builder will say, it is less than 6 mm, you say let's see what Tarion says. Free conciliation.

Now be prepard to Tarion to take the builders side, prepare your case and within 30 days contact the tribunal and get a court date. 100$ fee for this.

Now you get your expert witness statements, cost estimates, and go to court. The judges are not builders or Tarion, and they rule in favour of the home owner in most cases.

Yes it is a lot of work, but follow the process and you will win.

I read every case on the website, and there are 2 memorable ones.

1. builder shows up and says did not know to have his expert there, asked to rescheduled. Judge said no, ruled in favour of homeowner.

2. hardwoods throughout done by builder, tarion replaced foyer and offered to toenail the cupped boards. Judge said no, 49,000$ to homeowner to rip everything out and do it right.

In my opinion it is worth fighting for.
Old 2009-05-13, 04:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
If you do it right, it may be worth the time. If you don't care about the issues in your house, then you are correct.

In order to not be charged, it is important to have at least 1 warrantable item in your conciliation. Even if the others are not, they cannot charge you because 1 item is. How do you ensure you have 1 item? Check the construction guidelines and find one, even if it does not really apply. eg foundation crack has to be greater than 6 mm, so you write that down, builder will say, it is less than 6 mm, you say let's see what Tarion says. Free conciliation.

Now be prepard to Tarion to take the builders side, prepare your case and within 30 days contact the tribunal and get a court date. 100$ fee for this.

Now you get your expert witness statements, cost estimates, and go to court. The judges are not builders or Tarion, and they rule in favour of the home owner in most cases.

Yes it is a lot of work, but follow the process and you will win.

I read every case on the website, and there are 2 memorable ones.

1. builder shows up and says did not know to have his expert there, asked to rescheduled. Judge said no, ruled in favour of homeowner.

2. hardwoods throughout done by builder, tarion replaced foyer and offered to toenail the cupped boards. Judge said no, 49,000$ to homeowner to rip everything out and do it right.

In my opinion it is worth fighting for.
I agree, But why keep them employed just go straigh to court.
Old 2009-05-14, 07:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_SL View Post
I agree, But why keep them employed just go straigh to court.

If you lose at LAT there are no legal fees to pay the other side. In civil court, you lose , you pay for their high priced legal team and experts. Besides you won't have to wait 2 years for a court date.