Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-28, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Default Home Inspectors - Ottawa

Any recommendations for home inspectors in Ottawa?

Would be great to have someone who is very knowledgeable of aluminum wiring.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-04-28, 02:06 PM
Regular User

I'm not sure about aluminum wiring but I used Peter Weekes recently and he was fantastic! I also used Phil Acker, who's a contributor to this site, and was pleased with his work as well.
Old 2011-04-28, 02:31 PM
Regular User

So happy to hear that - we just hired Peter this morning - glad to hear you were pleased!
Old 2011-04-28, 03:20 PM
Regular User

Also hire a Licenced HVAC tech. No offence to building inspectors but most do not hold a gas licence or refrigeration licence. Truly they should not even look at the furnace.

Last few weeks I attended 2 calls where the home inspector made remarks about the condition of a furnace that scared a buyer away. The Issues with the furnace where very minor and was 100% covered by the home owners furnace repair plan... Even if it had not been it was a 300$ bill to repair. Hardly reason for alarm.. But i see this enough and it stresses out buyers and sellers all the time..

IF your selling a home get the furnace inspected by your HVAC company you use. Leave all maintenance records taped to the front door of the furnace. This will at least catch the eye of a buyer or home inspector and hopefully give them piece of mind. As a buyer ask for records or insist on your own HVAC contractor come in and inspect the furnace.. Its a 100$ check that could save you 5000$ down the road.
Old 2011-05-04, 05:26 PM
Regular User

I just wanted to give an update. We used Peter Weeks - for not one but 2 home inspections last week and I would highly recommend him. He was very thorough, friendly, and had a lot of great suggestions on how to improve things (ie. efficiency etc.).
Old 2011-05-04, 06:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimehomebuyer View Post
I just wanted to give an update. We used Peter Weeks - for not one but 2 home inspections last week and I would highly recommend him. He was very thorough, friendly, and had a lot of great suggestions on how to improve things (ie. efficiency etc.).
He was great wasn't he? Having been in the house for a year, his helpful hints and suggestions really went a long way.