Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-06-02, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandrusyk View Post
Ahh that scares me FWest15. I specifically asked the construction crew and I was told that the September closing date would likely be delayed, but for the November 2015 date, we should be on track. Not sure what to think. My husband's first home was with Claridge and was delayed almost 2 years, so he's skeptical. I'm trying to remain positive!

It seems that the infrastructure is complete now so they should be on track. Does anyone know if we'll be advised as to when they will actually start building our homes?
The only person with the actual answer is the construction manager for that specific development.

If someone has received info from head office that they could be delayed until February 2016, it's most likely better info than on site info.

This is my main pet peeve with builders selling closing dates before any infrastructure has even been laid in the development. It just sets buyers up for disappointment. There are dozens of things that could happen or slow down the developing of the land, including waiting on permits.

I understand builders want to sell lots in advance, but they should be more realistic, and offer to move the closings forward if the opportunity arises.

Old 2015-06-03, 09:31 AM

Thanks All, for the feedback. Just drove near the site and noticed that the roads have been paved - rosehill, Palmeto court . I Will decide by today.

Most of the feedbacks, I gathered until now from some existing owners and online are both negative and positive. The way, I see things at the site seems like there won't be big delays but no one knows.

I also went to the design centre , seems like they don't have much choices on front brick or stone . We have been offered a deal - granite in kitchen and 30k in design centre. I believe 30 k is not too much as their standard items are not that good.quality is still a concern for us.
If We move ahead with buying the house, We plan to get 5 bedrooms and 9 feet ceiling on second floor and may be close open to above space from foyer. Any ideas about appliance they offer through the design centre? , I was told by one of my friend that only choice is frigidaire.
Old 2015-06-03, 09:56 AM
Regular User

It's impossible to tell really by seeing roads paved. I'm not saying they will definitely be delayed, but as an example, the roads were done in our area very early, but due to permit delays, we were all delayed four months or so.

If delays are a concern for you, ask to get some concrete answers from head office before signing anything.

Besides liking that specific model, do you have to be in that area specifically? Or are you open to another area or builder?

Old 2015-06-03, 10:40 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walnutcmatt View Post
Any ideas about appliance they offer through the design centre? , I was told by one of my friend that only choice is frigidaire.
I believe this is correct. Unless you are really gung-ho about having everything installed and ready to go on closing day, don't buy your appliances with the builder. Buy them yourself, find a sale price, negotiate your own deal, and pick a good brand that you like.

Your 30K design center credit probably does not include the structural upgrades like the second floor nine-foot ceilings. If so, you'll be able to do some nice things with 30K. Start with the kitchen, you'll spend the biggest chunk of money there.
Old 2015-06-03, 11:16 AM

Yes I would be very wary of the closing date. Whatever they are advertising is not accurate. We asked about delays and were flat-out lied to. I would hate for people to sell their current homes and then be stuck because they lied about their closing dates. Just putting it out there.
Old 2015-06-03, 11:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:

We have been offered a deal - granite in kitchen and 30k in design centre. I believe 30 k is not too much as their standard items are not that good.quality is still a concern for us.
If We move ahead with buying the house, We plan to get 5 bedrooms and 9 feet ceiling on second floor and may be close open to above space from foyer. Any ideas about appliance they offer through the design centre? , I was told by one of my friend that only choice is frigidaire.
We got 25k when we signed but we had granite and hardwood included. You can get a lot of upgrades done in the 30-50k margin, you just need to prioritize what things you really want done, things that can be future upgrades or things that are cheaper to buy on your own.

They are currently in the process of changing appliance packages. We are still waiting to get full details but they are pretty sure they will be offering Bosh.
Old 2015-06-03, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoge0009 View Post
We got 25k when we signed but we had granite and hardwood included. You can get a lot of upgrades done in the 30-50k margin, you just need to prioritize what things you really want done, things that can be future upgrades or things that are cheaper to buy on your own.

They are currently in the process of changing appliance packages. We are still waiting to get full details but they are pretty sure they will be offering Bosh.

Also depends on home size. For a larger home, if you upgraded something like hardwood in an area that was previously carpet, and the square footage was large, you'd eat up a huge chunk of 30k on one item. I know in my current home, we spent close to 10k on hardwood because of the size of the home....

So it's subjective to home size really. The model they are looking at, seems to be fairly large.

Seems like all the builders are offering really good incentives nowadays. It's really good for new home buyers!

Old 2015-06-03, 12:25 PM
Regular User

I created a "Mattamy - Fairwinds West" group. if anyone is interested in joining. I figured a good place to meet neighbors, share neighborhood pictures, etc.
Old 2015-06-03, 02:20 PM

thank you all, this is such an amazing forum... I get quick responses here ... Way faster than builder...
I guess , we will buy all appliances from outside and put all 30 k towards the upgrades. Yes for 5 bedrooms and 9 ft ceiling we have to pay at sales centre.
I'm not sure about how much they will charge for the hardwood on main floor , by research and looking at the size of walnut layout , I believe @10k.
Here are some prices , I was able to fetch from Internet search( these can be totally off)

Ac @5k
Potlights @250/300 per light.
Underpads for carpet and the carpet itself @2.5 k
Stone around fireplace @1.5k
Hardwood on main floor @10k
Double sink 1.2 k
Glass shower enclosure 2.2k

I was not able to find price for
level 2 paints
Additional gas, electric and media points
upgraded kitchen cabinets
Not sure if they give central vacuum rough ins
Also no idea about how is their standard granite ...

So 30 k can't stand long for basic upgrades of walnut c. I believe The premium for lot 150 is 7.5 or 10 k. And for lot149 25 k. The houses will have lookout basement.

Lots of math to do.. I hope these houses atleast hold their current values in future... I was surprised when the designer in the design centre was asking what did you get in your deals .. Apparently everybody have some kind of unique deals ... Like hardwood , granite etc

Thanks again

Regards
Old 2015-06-03, 02:30 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Also no idea about how is their standard granite ...

Thanks again

Regards
The special edition granite is supposed to be around 3/4" thick. We did not like any of the special edition options so we upgraded. Their level 1 options are nice, 1 1/4" thick and they have a good selection of colours.