Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-06-04, 08:19 AM
Regular User

Default How to change a phone plug into a data point?

I'm posting this here because I recall one of the Ottawa people is pretty techy when it comes to phone jacks, wiring etc. Hopefully someone can help me.

Our house is wired at Cate5 wiring for both the phone lines and the data points. The phone lines are hard wired to the board in the media box while the data points terminate just outside the media box with the little plastic clear ends to be plugged into a router.

I am sick of my wireless connection in my house. It's way to slow. So, I want to change some of my phone jacks into data points but I don't know how to put those little plastic end on so that I can plug it into my router directly. Do I need a specific tool or do I just have to plug them into the plastic thingy? Where can I buy the plastic thingy? Hope this makes sense!!

Suggestions?
Old 2009-06-04, 08:29 AM
Regular User

You need an RJ45 crimp tool and some RJ45 connectors. Strip back an inch, straighten out the wires, arrange them in the proper order, trim them, insert them into the connector, crimp, test, done.

I have those but you're a bit far... see if one of your neighbours has one!

Old 2009-06-04, 08:38 AM
Regular User

Thanks!
If not, are the crimpers expensive to buy?
Old 2009-06-04, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Is the norm these days in new houses that the phone jack can be converted into a ethernet connection? That's one thing that I regret not doing in my new townhome is running Cat5 cabling.

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2009-06-04, 09:05 AM
Regular User

I believe it is the norm with Mattamy,
Old 2009-06-04, 09:13 AM
Regular User

I'm in Kanata with such tool if you'd like to borrow. Just send me a PM.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-06-04, 11:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernwater@HMB View Post
Is the norm these days in new houses that the phone jack can be converted into a ethernet connection? That's one thing that I regret not doing in my new townhome is running Cat5 cabling.
Check the cable, if it says "CAT5" or "CAT5e" on it, then yes, you just basically reterminate both ends (in my house, ALL jacks were terminated as 568A RJ45 -- including voice -- which made things very easy, all I had to do is plug it into whatever I want).

Old 2009-06-04, 11:19 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
I'm in Kanata with such tool if you'd like to borrow. Just send me a PM.
Sorry just a note -- if you've never done this before, you might want to get someone experienced to show you. You need to strip the jacket just right, you can't nick the conductors, when inserting into the connector, all of the conductors have to sit flush at the end, etc etc. If you don't, then you might experience issues, such as intermittent connectivity, link flap, slow speeds, etc.

If you don't have any connectors, you can swing by my place and pick some up (I dont know where you can buy these, but I have tons as it's my line of work ) Just PM me.

Old 2009-06-04, 12:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Check the cable, if it says "CAT5" or "CAT5e" on it, then yes, you just basically reterminate both ends (in my house, ALL jacks were terminated as 568A RJ45 -- including voice -- which made things very easy, all I had to do is plug it into whatever I want).
This may be a stupid question but with this set up, does this allow you create a computer network? What I'd like to do is have a server/NAS in my basement and then connect a computer(s) in my second floor office as well as a media PC in the family room to it so I can stream/share files across my network.

So if I am able to convert my phone jacks with an ethernet end, what do I have to do in the media box in the basement? That end would currently be connected to Bell would it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
If you don't have any connectors, you can swing by my place and pick some up (I dont know where you can buy these, but I have tons as it's my line of work ) Just PM me.
Thanks! My friend did gave a me a spool of Cat5 and a few connectors but may need some more.

Close date: July 16, 2009

Last edited by Fernwater@HMB; 2009-06-04 at 12:16 PM.
Old 2009-06-04, 12:33 PM
Regular User

home depot does sell everything you'd need to create a network drop. it wouldn't be the cheapest but they carry it all.