Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2009-10-22, 08:52 PM
Regular User

Default Separate circuit plug for central vac: necessary or not?

The builder is charging me some amount to install a separate circuit plug for the central vac in the garage. I don't understand why a "separate circuit plug in garage at central vac location" is necessary.

I've read a few threads but there's only one mention that I saw about a separate circuit and no explanation why this is necessary. In my current home, I have the central vac connected by an extension wire to the existing electrical plug.

Am I missing something?
Old 2009-10-22, 09:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_rx View Post
The builder is charging me some amount to install a separate circuit plug for the central vac in the garage. I don't understand why a "separate circuit plug in garage at central vac location" is necessary.

I've read a few threads but there's only one mention that I saw about a separate circuit and no explanation why this is necessary. In my current home, I have the central vac connected by an extension wire to the existing electrical plug.

Am I missing something?
Some vacs I've looked at list a "120v, 20A dedicated circuit" under their electrical requirements.
Old 2009-10-22, 09:34 PM
Regular User

Yep, I got dinged on this as well.

At first, I was a little annoyed but my friend said look at it this way. If I use high powered tools, an air compressor or decide to stick my freezer in the garage, I will have a dedicated circuit for it.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2009-10-22, 11:30 PM
Administrator

When central vacs start up they'll pull in about 12amps (the good ones at least). 12A is about the maximum a single 15A rated circuit can technically deliver.

If you are running something else on that same circuit, then you stand a high chance of popping the breaker for that circuit.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2009-10-23, 11:47 AM
Regular User

I use that same outlet to power my shop vac (not at the same time as the central vac, of course). Often the shop vac runs at the same time as another high-current power tool, like a miter saw, so having them on separate outlets definitely helps. You can hear the change in pitch of the vacuum, and feel the loss of power in the miter saw, if you try to run them both on the same outlet.