Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region > Burlington

Burlington For residents of and soon to be residents of Burlington. Alton Village. Sundial, Fernbrook, Mattamy, Emery, Tribute, Valery, Legend Creek, Branthaven, Monarch, Thornwood

Old 2011-09-30, 12:25 PM
Regular User

Default Fall and Winter Basement Renovation Recommendations

With the fall/winter approaching many homeowners may be planning to finish their basements.

I just wanted to provide the names and references for two contractors I used last year to help me complete my basement project.

Quick background, the project was fully permitted and passed all inspections.

Electrical.

Be WARNED: I first was going to hire a friends brother in-law who was a licensed electrician and works for a major electrical firm downtown Toronto. All was in place accept the permits, when it was time to pull the permits he was made aware of a recent change to the ESA rules that did not permit electricians without a contractor license to perform this type of work. Furthermore he was not allowed to the work for me even if I pulled the permits. I know many are going to ask well how would ESA ever know, I didn't go down that route...period.

So off to the races to find a contractor. For a full basement wire which included about 50 fixtures, pot lights, dimmers, switches, etc, I was getting quotes anywhere from 3000 to as high as 4500.00.

Panic set in but luckily found an electrician on Kijiji from Dundas, fully licensed and was willing to perform the permitted job, all he asked for was pictures and how many fixtures, he agreed to work hourly at 50 per hour. The entire job (labour only) cost 1350.00 and that included my permit. I was directed to another wholesale place for electrical supplies called Bibico on Harvester Rd. Total cost was 700.00 for wire and all the associated. So essentially the entire job came in for about 2100.00 taxes in.

His contact information. No bull%hit to the point type of guy. On time confirmed appts was great.

Nick Burlie
905 730 6490

Drywall

This individual was actually referred by another fellow altoner who had work done by him.

The project consisted of 55 sheets of drywall, drywall was delivered by a recommended source of his. It was CDN made drywall. This included installing, taping, mudding sanding and drywall plus tip to the guys would dragged this crap in my basement was 3500.00 best money I EVER spent, no chance in hell I could have finshed with this quality. I think Burlington1976 will agree.

Name Sebastian
Company Taping Excellance
http://www.handycanadian.com/local/contractor/1549

I cannot say enough about this person, on time, clean, great communication. 5 out of 5 and very reasonable rates, remember reasonable not CHEAP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drywall.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	9067   Click image for larger version

Name:	drywall2.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	9068   Click image for larger version

Name:	drywall3.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	9069  

Last edited by R.F.D.; 2011-09-30 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Learn how to spell...
Old 2011-09-30, 02:03 PM
Regular User

+1 for Tapping Excellence, he did an excellent job on my basement as well.
Old 2011-10-01, 07:23 PM

Hi,
Thank you for this information, it's just the project we've been thinking about starting. Do you also have any recommendations for contractors who can do the initial framing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 2011-10-01, 07:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgLena View Post
Hi,
Thank you for this information, it's just the project we've been thinking about starting. Do you also have any recommendations for contractors who can do the initial framing? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Personally I did it myself, and yes it took much longer than a pro but if you are in the halton area I think I may have some for you, I can't remember the rates exactly but I think it ranges from 750 - 1500 and can generally complete the framing in about 2 - 3 days you supply the material. Give me a day or two think its on my work email.
Old 2011-10-12, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Forgot to add this one...

Carpet installer

Installer
http://www.nuflooring.com/
Shannon Anhalt
905-741-7637

Last edited by R.F.D.; 2011-10-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: WebSite Changed
Old 2011-10-12, 05:44 PM
Regular User

Default Basement finishing

My agreement seems to suggest I am not allowed to do ANY work on the basement for two years?
Is that normal? Is it just a warranty safe-guard for the builder?
Irene
Old 2011-10-12, 08:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene View Post
My agreement seems to suggest I am not allowed to do ANY work on the basement for two years?
Is that normal? Is it just a warranty safe-guard for the builder?
Irene
Mine said the same thing, it just worked out that it took me that long to get anything started. I believe if you read the clause properly it does not state you are not allowed to do anything I think it is more so that if you do ANY work within two years and repairs need to be performed during that time-frame any damage/cost incurred to your finishes will be your responsibility. Similar to if you build a deck and/or fence and they need to come in and redo the grading. The cost and or damage is your problem.

I do not have a copy of your agreement so if it appears they are forbidding you I would pass it by a lawyer....
Old 2011-10-13, 08:10 AM
Regular User

Would love to see what these contractors are doing to the basement stairs as well....post pics when they finish!
Old 2011-10-13, 10:52 AM
Regular User

My husband owns a contracting company he does renovations, built in cabinets and home theatres. He has framed and finished a few basements in our area including our own. Most people are not waiting the 2 years. PM me if anyone wants his number for a quote for framing or the entire basement.
Old 2011-10-13, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Eiural, do you have any pics of his work around Alton?