Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2016-02-22, 12:19 PM
Regular User

Unhappy Appliances through Mattamy

Did anyone purchase appliances through Mattamy?
I purchased a colour spec'd home from Mattamy in December and was told multiple times I would have an opportunity to buy appliances through them and add it to my purchase price. Unfortunately it seems that we were forgotten about and after inquiring recently they have told me it's "too late" to purchase through them!! Very frustrating.

Does anyone have a price list for their appliances? Am I really missing out on this? Would have been nice to not have to shell out extra cash on closing
Old 2016-02-22, 12:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhips103 View Post
Did anyone purchase appliances through Mattamy?
I purchased a colour spec'd home from Mattamy in December and was told multiple times I would have an opportunity to buy appliances through them and add it to my purchase price. Unfortunately it seems that we were forgotten about and after inquiring recently they have told me it's "too late" to purchase through them!! Very frustrating.

Does anyone have a price list for their appliances? Am I really missing out on this? Would have been nice to not have to shell out extra cash on closing
We bought appliances through Mattamy but we got a design book with all the appliances in it. Did you not get one because your home is colour spec'd? I'm not sure if the process is different. We got our design book, picked out all our upgrades then finalized them at the design center. The appliances were priced higher than what you would buy in store but for us it was worth it because we used our design bonus.

When do you close?
Old 2016-02-22, 12:35 PM
Regular User

That's exactly it, we didn't get a book and don't get a design centre appointment because it was colour spec'd. The annoying thing is that I had assumed there would be no design appointment but it was mentioned that we could still purchase appliances at signing. And then a few weeks after signing I had emailed our Customer Rep about appliances and she stated we would get to choose at our design centre appointment and there was no reference to us needing to ask about it again. Which is even more frustrating because I got my hopes up that maybe there were a few small things here and there that we could change.

Closing is May 12th, so still some time away. Any idea of the kind of prices they gave you?
Old 2016-02-22, 12:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
That's exactly it, we didn't get a book and don't get a design centre appointment because it was colour spec'd. The annoying thing is that I had assumed there would be no design appointment but it was mentioned that we could still purchase appliances at signing. And then a few weeks after signing I had emailed our Customer Rep about appliances and she stated we would get to choose at our design centre appointment and there was no reference to us needing to ask about it again. Which is even more frustrating because I got my hopes up that maybe there were a few small things here and there that we could change.

Closing is May 12th, so still some time away. Any idea of the kind of prices they gave you?
I think once they start construction they don't let you change much. I don't have the pricing on me anymore but they had a big price range depending if you wanted high end or not. They had a basic package around 2K if I remember correctly but it was very very basic. I think we paid around $2800-3000 for our appliances (fridge, microwave, stove and dishwasher). They weren't anything fancy, just a step up from the basic.
Old 2016-02-22, 01:01 PM
Regular User

Believe me you're not missing anything. The only advantage to this is if you got a bunch of money as a design center bonus and you couldn't find other things to spend it on like kitchen upgrades. Also that they would be pre-installed on closing day. That's admittedly convenient. But honestly how hard is it to plug in a stove or a fridge? And installing a dishwasher isn't too difficult, I actually did mine myself.

Mattamy's appliance packages are basic, they're locked to one brand (Frigidaire), they can't be changed, and the pricing is not competitive. I wouldn't bother.

Treat appliance shopping as one of the few design decisions that you still get to have. Go to a good appliance store and look around, shop for deals on your own time.
Old 2016-02-22, 02:59 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your input GreyingJay. For us it was more not having to spend more cash along with our closing costs, we'll make something else work though.
Old 2016-02-22, 03:40 PM
Regular User

Ah true, yes, there is also the advantage of having the cost rolled into the house purchase.
Old 2016-02-22, 08:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks for your input GreyingJay. For us it was more not having to spend more cash along with our closing costs, we'll make something else work though.
You can roll those into your mortgage either way if you want to.
Old 2016-02-22, 09:11 PM
Regular User

I can roll them in if I buy them myself? I guess I would do that through the bank then?
Old 2016-02-24, 04:19 PM
Regular User

Start asking more questions and contact them directly. There has to be a way you can get them added, you haven't completed your closing yet. Make it known that you must get the appliances added into your loan or you aren't going to be able to complete the closing process due to those additional costs. They are going to work with you, but it is too bad they aren't even attempting to at this point. It sounds like you are going to have to take charge of it or they will just assume it is something you are going to take care of externally from your loan. Good luck!