Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2019-03-20, 12:42 PM
Regular User

Version 3.0 - maybe do what you describe but extend the bottom of the L to sit on the bottom flange of the steel beam?

I keep thinking that if all joists have solid purchase on the steel beam, the wood beam could be removed all together. In a way, its adding extra weight but not supporting anything.
Old 2019-03-20, 12:46 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Version 3.0 - maybe do what you describe but extend the bottom of the L to sit on the bottom flange of the steel beam?

I keep thinking that if all joists have solid purchase on the steel beam, the wood beam could be removed all together. In a way, its adding extra weight but not supporting anything.
Good point, I was wondering about just removing it and sliding the I beam into its place if the joists are not fully seated on the ibeam itself. That way the ibeam is all that is needed.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:13 PM
Regular User

Something Ive been meaning to mention....

There is a minimum window size required when a bedroom is below grade and only 1 exit point.

Your existing dont meet that. You are at a stage where it would be a time to get the concrete cut and hammer drilled out. Then install new windows.

Its very messy and noisy.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:31 PM
Regular User

Quote:

There is a minimum window size required when a bedroom is below grade and only 1 exit point.

Your existing dont meet that. You are at a stage where it would be a time to get the concrete cut and hammer drilled out. Then install new windows.

When I looked it up and checked measurements I thought I was OK?
I believe they are 30"W x 18"H but I would need to re-check them

I know they are too high but I will be building in some furniture below the window to reduce the height.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:33 PM
Regular User

Im sorry I dont remember the required minimum size. Do you have access to Ont Building Code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIGUY View Post

I know they are too high but I will be building in some furniture below the window to reduce the height.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:33 PM
Regular User

Quote:

I've been there. I used a Husqvarna Cut-n-break saw. You can rent them, gas or electric. You need a 20A outlet for the electric to do it from the inside, and a garden hose for wet cutting. It is insanely messy.

There are building code requirements for area of glass as a percentage of bedroom floor area, and egress opening size. You can increase the relative opening size by ordering an egress window that maximizes the opening on one side.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2019-03-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:35 PM
Regular User

Hi Bart Thanks for sharing that its doable. Do you happen to recall the minimum size?
Old 2019-03-20, 01:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIGUY View Post

That sounds like the size of the frame. It's the glass area for natural light and opening size for egress that the OBC is looking for. Not many people do this, so I'm not going to pass judgment or anything. Somehow, this even gets past building inspectors. I've seen them just ignore this requirement.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartBandy View Post
That sounds like the size of the frame. It's the glass area for natural light and opening size for egress that the OBC is looking for. Not many people do this, so I'm not going to pass judgment or anything. Somehow, this even gets past building inspectors. I've seen them just ignore this requirement.
It is a single pane hinged window it is pretty much the full opening size. I am going to have a hard time just boxing it out with a 5/8 board it is so tight to the opening size.

I'll measure it up tonight and get actual opening size.
Old 2019-03-20, 01:52 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Im sorry I dont remember the required minimum size. Do you have access to Ont Building Code?
Table 9.7.2.3: 5. Bedrooms: Unobstructed glass area of 5% of area serviced

Section 9.9.10.1 (b) Unobstructed open portion of 0.35m2 (3.8sqft) with no dimension less than 380mm (15in)

Translation: Bigger windows than you were planning for a basement.

Fun times.

Last edited by BartBandy; 2019-03-20 at 02:00 PM.