Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2008-01-29, 01:21 AM
Regular User

Default Boxgrove - Starlane homes: Are the Power Lines a concern?

I have signed up for a lot in the latest Starlane homes release. Compared to Arista Homes these seem to be cheaper and larger lots. However, there are few things bothering me before firming up the offer.

(1) There are huge Power Lines running in the vicinity. I am very worried about this as I got a 1 year old.
(2) The lots are located south to 14th Avenue and east to 9th Line. Some People say that is not even Boxgrove. [Which seems highly debatable as the Boxgrove community center is right in this neighborhood.]

I would appreciate your thoughts on these.

Thanks to all.
Old 2008-01-29, 09:13 AM
Regular User

Why risk it? If you're worried about power lines, buy elsewhere. I would refuse to buy within close distance to high voltage power lines. It's not like you absolutely have to live there and can't live elsewhere..
Old 2008-01-29, 11:43 AM
Regular User

People often say trust your gut when it comes to a purchase. If you are hesitant, then don't rush it.

On the converse....the houses at Markham and 14th Ave (South of 14th) are near power lines, but they are remarkable houses and worth approx 500-700k right now.

But is potential house appreciation worth sacrificing potential health hazards to your children? Only you can decide that. Not sure if it's even been proven to cause health hazards, so that's what makes this even more so debatable.
Old 2008-01-29, 12:10 PM
Regular User

well i went to that site myself and saw the location...the power lines are more than 300 meteres away from the lots (residential phase) so i would say its not a hazard. Besides i say if that residental area was coming under harzard codes than i say markham authorities wud have never allowed builder to build the phase there as in canada law are very tough when it comes to saftey of ppl...

Bottom line....its always personal preference and matter of choices for everyone....

and yes it is a Boxgrove community...

TC
Old 2008-01-29, 03:06 PM
Regular User

The power lines are actually by the train tracks on Ninth Line (towards Steeles). But since I havent kept up to date on the latest developments in Boxgrove, I dont know where the new development actually is. I just know Boxgrove is expanding quite rapidly.

They also have million dollar homes on the Southwest side of ninth line and 14th avenue. The road being located across from the Boxgrove Community Center. It's a small enclave of estates that have been there for 20+ years, with gated entrances to their driveways. I'm also sure some of those houses must have the same issues being near power lines, but once again they aren't a major issue to them at least. You should all drive through there though...it's so relaxing looking at these mansions with giant pillars, 3-4 car garages, and enormous land space.

Last edited by Ghetto_mathie; 2008-01-29 at 03:31 PM.
Old 2008-01-29, 04:09 PM
Regular User

Check google map and you should see the power line.

Here is the snap shot (highlighted!!)

Old 2008-02-01, 05:51 PM

I have bought a home with Starlane Homes as well. I picked Starlane over Arista because Starlane homes layout is much nicer, lots are larger plus the things they are putting in house are better than Arista. Goes to show you big name is not always beter.

ulumu, your picture is not opening when i try to open it. Plus can you tell me how do you make Google Map show you the power lines. I could not find any such option in Google Map.

Thanks
Old 2008-02-01, 11:00 PM
Regular User

Default Google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh99 View Post
I have bought a home with Starlane Homes as well. I picked Starlane over Arista because Starlane homes layout is much nicer, lots are larger plus the things they are putting in house are better than Arista. Goes to show you big name is not always beter.

ulumu, your picture is not opening when i try to open it. Plus can you tell me how do you make Google Map show you the power lines. I could not find any such option in Google Map.

Thanks
Go to Google maps satellite pictures near 14th Avenue and 9th Line. If you zoom in the southeast area you can find the lots, railway and the Powerlines.
Old 2008-02-01, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfh99 View Post
Plus can you tell me how do you make Google Map show you the power lines. I could not find any such option in Google Map.
Google map won't show u power line directly, it just the satellite image is quite clear (zoom it in and you can see).

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=700....

Old 2008-02-02, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame X View Post
lots are larger? some of the lots being sold by Arista this weekend were 70x160...and no, not backing onto power lines.

"Much nicer" is a term completely open to interpretation. In what terms? Architecturally? Structurally? Or monetarily? Personally, I like big windows and lots of light from the front of the house, and not much offered by Starlane has that unless you buy the largest lots they offer.

You tell me what Starlane is putting in the house as standard that is not offered by Arista, or match upgrades prices item by item. So again, all I'm saying is that I disagree with your making such wide-sweeping subjective comments such as "better than" or whatever. Because I could say some things about Starlane which I will refrain from saying. But it's curious why Fieldgate and Arista completely sold out in every phase while Starlane still had homes for sale, and had to keep their prices lower to compete...at least that was the case up to a few months ago.
Anyway, I'll stop here. I wasn't going to say anything, but there was something in the tone of your comment that I didn't like. But anyhoo, I guess I prefer to talk about what I have chosen in terms of what I like about it, not in terms that are perjorative to another builder or home-buyer.
Anyway, good luck with your new home.
There is no need to be upset. I did not mean to offend anyone who has bought from Arista. I am not saying Arista is bad. What I am saying is its not as good as Starlane.

Regarding layout I was looking for 42 ft lot and 2700 sq. ft. range houses. I choose Shelby 5 from Starlane over Dover and Brighton from Arista because Shelby 5 has better layout.

I have a buddy who is italian and is in construction business and knows both companies. We went to both offices and discuss with them on details of what both companies are offering in Boxgrove and he is of the view that Starlane is giving me more bang for my bucks.