Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2006-06-07, 10:35 PM
Regular User

Default Woohoo! An ottawa sub-forum!

I bougth from Tamarack in Jackson Trails, Stittsville. Closing date sometimes early winter. Anyone else from Ottawa ?
Old 2006-09-06, 11:08 AM
Regular User

mart242,

How has your experience been so far with buying a home in Jackson Trail. Of all the sites I've looked at (kanata and stittsville), its the one I like best. I find you get good value for your money. And the standard features are really nice.

How has Tamarack been? Do they have any model homes open yet?

I was actually looking into a Tartan home - there was one floor plan that could work for my family. I found the sale person really nice to work with. Unfortunately, the pie shape lots are already sold. I really want a big backyard. The ones backing onto the conservation area are really nice...too bad they are all sold :-(

Funny, I know so many people who would like a bigger lot (especially backyard). Funny no builder does not create lots that are maybe 50' or 60' wide and 150' to 200' deep. I'm sure people would pay a premium for it - heck in every development site we've looked at, its the bigger lots that sell first. So there is a market. So unless you get lucky to get one of there pie shape lot, your other option is to go into the country for a 2 acre lot (which we are looking into - just covering all of our options)

Jospeh
Old 2006-09-06, 02:23 PM
Regular User

The only thing that bugs me about JT is that we bought in april 2005 (yes 2005!) and not much has happened so far but that''s apparently caused by the city... They are now moving along quickly and hopefully our foundation will be poured in october. We bought early because there was only one 40' lot that we liked with a reasonnable premium. No models as of now in JT but you can see them in Bridlewood, Riverside south, findley creek, barrhaven, ... Their sales office will be moving on the JT site in 3 weeks.

I did a lot of research before buying there and from Tamarack. Most people appear to be satisfied with Tamarack and a lot of things are included in the price. Tamarack is also not too bad with their upgrade prices compared to other builders. I did not like the Tartan floorplan and I had read about bad experiences with Tartan.

Bigger lots would be nice but the ones that are backing onto trees have a 30k+ premium so I don't even want to know how much a 200' deep lot would be! What is weird is that it's all the big lots that go first but I think that it's because people want to be sure they'll have tha tlot (like me). If all the remaining lots are the same, there's no hurry to buy beside the prices that might go up (and I think they will once the model homes open). We had thought about moving to the country but with kids, that's hard to do: you have to drive them everywhere and they have no friends nearby (someone we know bought in JT because of that, and they currently have a super nice house in the country). You could check with Tamarack, I think that they still have a lot or two backing onto the conservation area.

If you end up buying from them, send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info so that Tamarack gives 500$ to each of us.
Old 2006-09-07, 01:53 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the update and info. I've been looking at different sites for 3-4 months now, but only 4 weeks ago did I hear about Jackson Trails.

Thanks for the heads up about Tartan... I will look more into them if we do decide to buy in that area. At least I know a lot about Tamarack, and they have a good reputation.

Some lot premiums are like 50K now (bigger lots that are still available). Its the same kinda pricing at other sites. I guess I was just surprised it would be that much - never bought a new home before. Starting at 75K, you can get a 2 acre lot that is 5 minutes drive from Kanata Centrum (Richardson Side Road and Oakcreek, or off William Mooney Rd from Richardson Side Road, etc). So that's where the question came in - do we spend a little extra and get lots more land (and still really close to Kanata Centrum)? Lots of room for a pool, play structure, and the kids to run around.

The good thing is we are not in a rush. Still going to look around at all the options and then decide. Maybe even just buy another resale home instead of building a new one. Unless we move to another city, we have no plans to move to another house ...well, until we decide its time to downsize because we can't keep up with a house anymore...but that is a long way off

I will PM you if we ever decide to go with Tamarack in JT.

Thanks again

Joseph